Side-by Side video of Horizons vs. Odyssey now: Which seems like the Upgrade?

Make new Expansion, remove loads of graphical effects, charge $40.
business 101
D1Pypxq.png

It just reminds me how FDev claimed the Alpha was a separate version from the launch version and that launch would have proper optimization, only for the launch version to effectively be the exact same build as Alpha.

Lets not forget they charged people £10 for the alpha too - just to milk that little bit extra from people who paid in good faith to help test the update before release. They then went and charged another £30 (and as you rightly pointed out) for that very same alpha masquerading it as a full release.

Horizons at left. Odyssey at right. Burning station. Same graphics settings and game version fully updated. Video recorded Sept 17 2021.

Source: https://youtu.be/L2RfpagJLMw

I'm not too good when it comes to vids etc, but would love one to be made (and reported to fdev) on the following, which are similar outcome to this:

• Cockpit effects when taking heat damage
  • Cockpit effects when ship is freezing
  • Effects of thrusters / lasers

All those are also lacking, perhaps thrusters/lasers could be considered "refined" but still, everything in these kind of areas look so much better in Horizons.
What puzzles me though, is that performance in space is generally good, so why turn off "all the things"

thrusters, as an example - pink ones in my case:

R7KZPC9.png

SCbvZHO.png

In both, I am pitching pretty much full on, Horizons being the orange hud

And this is all you get for taking heat damage... lol, yup, that tiny spark.

1632082675233.png

Last edited:
The reduced quality of atmosphere in the burning stations is disappointing for me. And also the ship interior comparisons, with what looks like a complete lack of lighting color that corresponds to the star.

It makes me think of Notable Stellar Phenomenon in Horizons. Some of these are incredibly atmospheric, with thick clouds and pretty nicely done shaping.

Do the thick clouds still exist in Odyssey's Notable Stellar Phenomenon?

just watch....someone will post a Odyssey screenshot from a planet with bio or Cmdr standing in the background. screenshot will be poster perfect so perfect you can tell it is made up.
Link me to an example of these 'made up' pics you're talking about please, I fancy a laugh. Perhaps you'd also share your thoughts on how the pic you're going to link was 'made up' - what are you suggesting here exactly - that the picture you're going to link is photoshopped and isn't an actual in-game screenshot?

yawn are y'all still doing this?
20210821180616_1.jpg

20210908231058_1.jpg

20210821175402_1.jpg

Cherry pick some more... Most of the time, if I find a dull planet I move on, but I guess for some it gives them their daily dose of bias confirmation...

BTW; OP, neither video looks bad, Odyssey is more cinematic to me but I like the new lighting and definitely see it as an upgrade, so that's my opinion. That's not to say your opinion is wrong, but it is just yours and not anything more than that.

Last edited:
BTW; OP, neither video looks bad, Odyssey is more cinematic to me but I like the new lighting and definitely see it as an upgrade, so that's my opinion. That's not to say your opinion is wrong, but it is just yours and not anything more than that.

It's missing layers of effects, it seems like a bug really.

YEah, except Arma 3 often throws up good gameplay moments and its developer is commited to making an interesting multiplayer game.
But this is primarly about how things look. And saying Odyssey looks even on par with ArmA is a compliment, if anything, as far as Im concerned. That's because, as you say, they're more interested in having mechanics in there that you can build on. I find this similar with ED but, like Bohemia taking time to build up what they have, I'll afford the same to FDev.
ED is an MMO, where everyone is connected, at the least, to the BGS. ArmA has thousands of servers people use to do their in-game play. I know there are persistent servers but they're run by player/player groups. Why doesn't Bohemia have an MMO as well? A few servers linked together, officially, that are persistent? That'd be similar to GTA Online? I'd buy that. Do they have that, and Im just unaware of it?

yawn are y'all still doing this?

View attachment 263257

View attachment 263269

View attachment 263278
Cherry pick some more... Most of the time, if I find a dull planet I move on, but I guess for some it gives them their daily dose of bias confirmation...

"Neither video looks bad". No offense but I suggest glasses.

Top Bottom