Game Discussions Star Citizen Discussion Thread v12

server meshing (whenever that comes online)

Ah, the eternal question ;)

Server Meshing planned for:

2018:
Roadmapped for delivery in Q4
2019: "That will be coming in next year" (Erin Roberts, Chief Development Office, June 2018)
2020: "Round about middle of this year" [In reduced 'first step' form of 'Full Universe Persistence' alone.]
2021: "Probably by the end of this year" [In reduced 'first step' form of the 'entity graph' (previously 'Full Universe Persistence', then 'iCache')]

That entity graph aka iCache is actually making its way into the Alpha with 3.15. Parts of it have been added for the past few patches. Progress is being made, I guess.

Not quite the 'It’ll be done by Christmas 2018' style progress that’s been suggested in the past though.

More an endless procession of fancy titles for mundane database additions which have had scant appreciable effect to date. Not really the portents of an imminent reversal of form I wouldn’t say ;)

(Also quite indistinguishable from a tech task that’s wallowing in development hell.)

But I’m sure 2022 will be the year… (For some Tier 0 instanced regions to finally hit the scene at least ;))

Do please excuse my scepticism though, oh bright new member of the thread :)

Not quite the 'It’ll be done by Christmas 2018' style progress that’s been suggested in the past though.
Well they've never been very proficient with dates anyway.
More an endless procession of fancy titles for mundane database additions which have had scant appreciable effect to date. Not really the portents of an imminent reversal of form I wouldn’t say ;)
A few new databse additions are nice too, but I firmly believe we'll probably get Pyro + Nyx end of 2022 aswell. I know, I know "Pyro 2020" but According to the leaks server (which is always 100% right) Planet wise, Pyro and Nyx are done. Now for handcrafted planetary content and such, not so much but they still have about a year for that.
Do please excuse my scepticism though, oh bright new member of the thread :)
Oh its fine, i've been lurking here for some time so I know what to expect about this grand internet thread full of wisdom and knowledge, I thought it would be fun to participate aswell.

audviba.png

I would agree if they were discussing DOD budgets, not size and scope.

A few new databse additions are nice too, but I firmly believe we'll probably get Pyro + Nyx end of 2022 aswell. I know, I know "Pyro 2020" but According to the leaks server (which is always 100% right) Planet wise, Pyro and Nyx are done. Now for handcrafted planetary content and such, not so much but they still have about a year for that.

Everything about SC is always 1 or 2 years away from being done.

audviba.png

I would agree if they were discussing DOD budgets, not size and scope.

Well, for a DoD project the vendor probably charges a million for each line of code written....

Still, love the deflection there. No acknowledgement of CIG repeatedly saying release was close. Just the "nothing on this scale" guff that the faithful love to pull out. In this context, scale is irrelevant.

Everything about SC is always 1 or 2 years away from being done.
Oh Agony Aunt! Finally I get to talk to you! Your contributions to this thread have always been very interesting, bordering to posting most of the time but I digress. Indeed, that may be the case, they are always 1 to 2 years away from being done until they are actually done! Which in this case, may very well be 2022. I mean, the 700 people working on this have to finish working on something at some time.

Well, for a DoD project the vendor probably charges a million for each line of code written....

Still, love the deflection there. No acknowledgement of CIG repeatedly saying release was close. Just the "nothing on this scale" guff that the faithful love to pull out. In this context, scale is irrelevant.
Source: https://i.imgur.com/AxyMtz5.gifv

Without the blue screen, that's easily worth about $400M.

Additionally, I'm not sure what repercussions there would be if a DoD contractor spent that much to deliver a fraction of the scope (not just the expanded scope, but the initial scope).

Last edited:
Oh Agony Aunt! Finally I get to talk to you!
christmas-cheer.gif

I mean, the 700 people working on this have to finish working on something at some time.

One has to wonder what those 700 people are actually doing though. Progress on the PU and SQ42 seem glacially slow (PU from what we can see, SQ42 from the "roadmap" where they recently made a big thing of getting 1 whole chapter finished, out of 20). Firesprite are doing ToW. Turbulent are doing the networking, planets, and other assets.

Makes one wonder a little bit.

Not like they showed jump points to "other systems" in The Con '19 or anything.

IIRC they first showed a jump to another system in 2016. Wasn't it then they pretended to fly a ship through the wormhole and CR was asked what would happen if you touched the side of the wormhole and Chris said something like "its bad" and then the ship touched the side of the wormhole and... nothing bad happened.

christmas-cheer.gif

One has to wonder what those 700 people are actually doing though. Progress on the PU and SQ42 seem glacially slow (PU from what we can see, SQ42 from the "roadmap" where they recently made a big thing of getting 1 whole chapter finished, out of 20). Firesprite are doing ToW. Turbulent are doing the networking, planets, and other assets.

Makes one wonder a little bit.
Well I mean unless you're that kind of conspiracy person to say that nobody actually works at CIG and its just Chris and a houseplant updating the roadmap every few weeks.

It seems most of the employees are on Squadron 42 which they are not showing us anything of, for good reasons probably, And well if you do consider the most probable explanation it is because the servers suck horribly and we are waiting for the jesus tech to arrive for them to implement anything.

For example: These mining gadgets they recently announced at their ISC episode, and we hadn't heard anything at all about those before. So maybe they're actually keeping content from us to implement? Nobody knows but they themselves.

IIRC they first showed a jump to another system in 2016. Wasn't it then they pretended to fly a ship through the wormhole and CR was asked what would happen if you touched the side of the wormhole and Chris said something like "its bad" and then the ship touched the side of the wormhole and... nothing bad happened.
Yeah that was the 2019 Citcon, and they cant have "anything bad" happen to their scripted demo so I guess he was just talking about how he wanted to have it when it gets to the players (eventually)

Well I mean unless you're that kind of conspiracy person to say that nobody actually works at CIG and its just Chris and a houseplant updating the roadmap every few weeks.

It seems most of the employees are on Squadron 42 which they are not showing us anything of, for good reasons probably, And well if you do consider the most probable explanation it is because the servers suck horribly and we are waiting for the jesus tech to arrive for them to implement anything.

For example: These mining gadgets they recently announced at their ISC episode, and we hadn't heard anything at all about those before. So maybe they're actually keeping content from us to implement? Nobody knows but they themselves.
CIG does this a lot, honestly. They were quick to announce that they were developing ASL emotes and even showed off a few and since then they've... gone silent.

Land claim beacons were sold, but they haven't really expanded on how they work, how they will be implemented, or much of anything on the matter since the initial rush.

I would definitely agree with you that most of the people are probably working on Squadron 42, with the caveat being "for now." This has also happened in the past. Squadron 42 was the priority leading up to every "Answer the Call" ad, and after the influx of money from the Calders (with PR statements to that effect). Then, priorities shift to bartenders, caves, prison systems, and more, which are related to SC and not SQ42.

LOL, no, i'm not one of those people. I just don't understand how 700 people can produce so little.

And i'm not sure the "most of the employees are on SQ42" statement holds any weight. For years we listened to how only the UK was working on SQ42 itself and at times we even heard the UK was helping out with SC.

Yeah that was the 2019 Citcon, and they cant have "anything bad" happen to their scripted demo so I guess he was just talking about how he wanted to have it when it gets to the players (eventually)

No no. There was one much earlier than 2019. IIRC, 2019 was the second time they showed off a jump to Pyro. But that time was just a scripted jump, but basically looking the same as the one they showed off in 2016(?).

Top Bottom