*******Odyssey: Console Release ETA. *******

Status
Thread Closed: Not open for further replies.

stormyuk

Volunteer Moderator
It's a ship given to those people who on xbox bought horizons before 31july 2016 and PC folk who bought before Feb 2016 or lep . I missed out on Xbox by ?what 14 days ?

Yeh I think the slight distinction is PlayStation was never offered or given a chance to get it. Nimineza is obviously on PlayStation and while I am gutted and think it's unfair we never had a chance to get it, platform parity is often thrown around which has never really been true.

I think the Cobra IV ship sailed a long time ago and FDev have confirmed it won't be coming to PlayStation.

Why would Fdev give a MK4 to people because they cant play EDO ?

They won't and they probably shouldn't. I agree with you.

The Community Managers could do more for consoleers, for sure, but ultimately they just like us are powerless to resist the tide. Let's be honest, nothing we or the CM's do or say is going to change anything.

A complete section of the player-base is systematically overlooked and ignored, because the developer's platform of choice for this game is rigidly skewed and has been from day one. That fact's not going to change any time soon.

And with that shining gem, I wish you all a happy Wednesday. 🌟

After all these years, I think it's right to rethink the matter with the Cobra MK 4. The idea of throwing away is wrong. (addressed to Stormy and boppa)

Can we please not hijack this thread into a CM4 thread? I have 0 interest in the CM4. I've seen the stats and I'm not impressed. I do think compensating us in some way is a good idea and not unreasonable. Perhapse some paintjobs or arx. Idk. It doesnt have to be big. It's more of the gesture that counts imo.

Why would Frontier not allow a CM to tell us any news regarding consoles?

Not being funny, serious question.
This reminds me of those old-school math problems where you had to read all the words to get the correct answer :)

"Sally is taking the 18:30 from Bournemouth to get home to London. The train takes 2 hours to get to London, and then Sally has to take a 30 minute bus ride to get to her house. What time does Sally get home if tonight there was a rainstorm and a landslip has blocked the train line? The stationmaster says it could take be 30 minutes to clear the line, or it might be overnight. ?"

Very fair... Why should FDev not consider a gesture to calm down the blazing heat of frustrated console players? Is it fair, that we on ps4 NEVER had a chance to get the cobra? And in the past they gifted paintjobs. But paintjobs mean loss of potential earnings. A temporary cobra buy unlock would calm down AND generate Arx sales for paints for this ship.

Why should not FDev consider making money and relaxing the player's frustration by simply hitting a switch? And i did not request or beg for this. It was a proposal. FDev may take it or leave it. But i don't need to be a prophet to tell, that without any kind of gesture and any new information the player base will decrease and the remaining ones will be more and more frustrated.

When I asked for the Cobra MK4 I asked for a emotional thing. A gesture of respect, since it's already sooo emotional. It's an open wound. It needs a wound dressing, or it will get an even more harming inflamation in the playerbase. This can not be the wish of FDev.

And saying the cobra mk4 as exclusive for all times is kinda weird, as this thing is so old. They even made Horizons free all. holding back the cobra (in order not to make angry some backers from long time ago (do they even play anymore?) is not logical, compared to having a unique option at hand, to sooth a pain, that is getting on the CM's nerves every f...ing day. I think the amount of angry backers who don't grant the console players any emotional compensation is far minor compared to all the frustrated console players who hear the same sentence every time : "Sorry, for YOU we have nothing in store and we don't need to tell you anything, because... yeah, ... just go away... why are you still here? Go away, play something else!...."

Last edited:
Repeatedly pinging Sally is not going to change anything
This is wrong. It increases pressure FDev. The CMs are FDev's frontline guys&girls. They carry the information to the management on a regular base. And the management controls allocation of developers and potential reations to calm things down.
The CMs have to cope with the pressure. That's their job, that's what they are paid for. Sorry to so say so, but holding back the frustration because of sympathy with them is the wrong way.
It is as hard as is hard: Their job is to pick up the situation in the community. If we are all silent, the management guys will think, their way of treating us is okay. It is not. Not giving the CMs any new information to share at hand is a dead end road in terms of communication. That's how you kill the playerbase which you want to buy your stuff later on.

I would say being overly nice to frontiers employees because of sympathy will cause nothing to change. They need our frustration at hand to give it to the management. We don't help anybody by holding back frustration. When i tell about my frustration I tell it to the role "community manager", not the real person behind it. I see the job, not the individual, to who I should offload a player's perspective. It's a job after all.
Taking a step further I would say: Offloading all of our frustration to them enables them to do their job - telling it to the business suit guys. They need our (currently negative) input. What we feed into them determines the future of FDevs decisions on priotization and personel allocation. If something burns bright enough somebody may come with a fire extinguisher, e.g. in shape of a compensation like the mentioned Cobra Mk4, or something else to sooth the pain ... or some information release to the CM, what they can share with us.

Last edited:
A complete section of the player-base is systematically overlooked and ignored, because the developer's platform of choice for this game is rigidly skewed and has been from day one. That fact's not going to change any time soon.
If this is right, i dare to ask why did we on console pay the full price like the pc guys?

stormyuk

Volunteer Moderator
If this is right, i dare to ask why did we on console pay the full price like the pc guys?
Because Elite was and is a great game still? I didn't regret the money I paid in 2017. Not one bit to play on my PS4 Pro.

Having said that I've voted with my wallet at the moment though and not even bought Odyssey on my PC till we see some real progress on performance improvements. It seems to be at a snails pace at the moment or one step forward two steps back.

PS5 I am still on the fence with but, am currently making the assumption Elite will stay a PS4 BC title and it won't be taking full advantage of the PS5 hardware. Not good.

At the point we know this for sure when the console version finally sees the light of day it will also hopefully be fixed on PC side and heavily discounted so I can always give it ago there.

Unfortunately for now the console version has just been left behind, the gap just keeps growing with no real positive outlook for the console version right now or any time soon.

Gonna have to put a massive Tin Foil Hat and possibly suit on for this one but I'm beginning to think that Fdev's current stance is deliberate, I mean I'm not business savvy I work for the NHS but doesn't take a genius to figure out that if you neglect a player base that it's gonna dwindle. I've got no reason to presume that the sentiment of console players is not being relayed upwards by Cm's so either its just being noted as not important or its already been calculated as an acceptable loss vs getting the Pc version where they want it to be, which is apparently undefinable. Have to admit I was surprised that the communication block extended to anything console rather than just (O) to the extent that the console player base can not be told anything, livestreams, Plans not incorporating (O) future updates not involving (O) even plans to engage with console players. I mean my Tin Foil hat could be leading me astray here but I think there's a roadmap already laid out for console, would like to be proven wrong though......
@Arthur Tolmie

Buurpit said in the last video the console community is a third of the ED community. Can you effort to ignore them for a long term? The guys on the console have a third of all ED player wallets.... Money talks.

As a car developer I can tell: We can't effort to cut away a third of our markets.

What a sad case of leaving several platforms behind. ED went from my favorite and most played game in 2020, to trashed in 2021. I picked up ESO for my MMO sweet tooth. It's not perfect, but it has plenty of content, is supported for next gen systems, and there's never a shortage of players.

Meanwhile, on PC, Gwent has more people playing at 0800 in the morning weekdays than ED at 1800 in the evening.

gIqUHe9.png

AuZpJQy.jpg

Buurpit said in the last video the console community is a third of the ED community. Can you effort to ignore them for a long term? The guys on the console have a third of all ED player wallets.... Money talks.

As a car developer I can tell: We can't effort to cut away a third of our markets.
And probably the 1/3 of the community who paid a higher price for the game since Steam Sales and Epic Giveaways don’t tend to be a thing on console … though I guess ED was discounted on PS Store fairly recently.

Status
Thread Closed: Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom