ANNOUNCEMENT Odyssey: Update on VR and Ship Interiors

The problem is that we the players campaigned to get VR into Odyssey (at first it was going to be ditched entirely as they couldn’t find a clean way to transition to on foot gameplay, and full VR wasn’t on the roadmap). So what we got was considered a victory at the time, if only a victory of compromise.
Yeah, Funny That. If they'd said that's going to be all the VR there is in Odyssey at the time, there still would have been the same complaining and whinging going on. It should have been a clue that there would be no on foot VR when they said they didn't want VR in Odyssey in the first place! I don't think they have the expertise at the moment to do the basic on foot VR stuff, let alone all the interactions that come with it.

With both on-foot VR and Ship Interiors, we're really looking at a separate paid for DLC update for each and Fdev really should have made that clear from the start. Not any of this 'It won't be in at launch!' business.

`

Oh … its an old post - i jumped at it all excited
The crazy bit is that the comment is still just as valid today... but others have interpreted more recent coments differently.

They haven't actually been dropped from development, just currently nothing bar Odyssey is being discussed from the CMs. Understandably ;)

It wasn't a poke at you, honest!

They haven't actually been dropped from development, just currently nothing bar Odyssey is being discussed from the CMs. Understandably ;)
Seems hard to imagine that they're still being worked on when you have CMs on stream arguing that interiors would be useless and have no real gameplay. Way to sell an upcoming feature, huh?

"PREPARE TO BE BOARDED!!" yes Arf said that on a cosplay pirate live stream before catching himself... Also Arf, "ship interiors do not bring meaningful gameplay and would get boring"

That says it all...
You have to remember the context, with Odyssey they didn't have anything planned for ship interiors. It was never on the cards. The best they could do is walking around the bridge, down a corridor or taking a turbolift, and then out of the hatch. Those kind of transition are normally the first things that get turned off because they get boring.

For ship interiors we all want (i.e walking around the full ship, boarding actions, performing repairs, eva's etc), that will have to be another paid for DLC and certainly the X-Box-one and PS4 wouldn't be able to run it. (Look at Star Citizen, you thing that would run on those consoles?) Just because years ago David Braben mentioned that they'd designed the ships with walking around in mind because it's something they'd like to put in some day, doesn't mean we'd get it with Odyssey. It Did mean there were a lot of people having a hissy fit about it though.

You have to remember the context, with Odyssey they didn't have anything planned for ship interiors. It was never on the cards. The best they could do is walking around the bridge, down a corridor or taking a turbolift, and then out of the hatch. Those kind of transition are normally the first things that get turned off because they get boring.

For ship interiors we all want (i.e walking around the full ship, boarding actions, performing repairs, eva's etc), that will have to be another paid for DLC and certainly the X-Box-one and PS4 wouldn't be able to run it. (Look at Star Citizen, you thing that would run on those consoles?) Just because years ago David Braben mentioned that they'd designed the ships with walking around in mind because it's something they'd like to put in some day, doesn't mean we'd get it with Odyssey. It Did mean there were a lot of people having a hissy fit about it though.
What makes you think that the CMs weren't referring to the "full" ship interiors when they said they weren't interested in it due to lack of gameplay? I don't remember any such distinction or disclaimer.

And unfortunately, that full version of ship interiors as described would be impossible to do with a paid DLC. The game as we have it now is built around ships being controlled by a single pilot in a chair. To go from that to an actual ship would require a full revamp of many core mechanics - and you can't really do that unless you do it for everyone. Much like how Multicrew pilots can't really do anything meaningful besides offer some arbitrary stats buff, because the gameplay was built around a single pilot.

Seems hard to imagine that they're still being worked on when you have CMs on stream arguing that interiors would be useless and have no real gameplay. Way to sell an upcoming feature, huh?
Yep.. Did they write a similar statement as a PSA too, or was it just part of the banter in an unscripted live stream, inquiring minds need to know :eek:

For ship interiors we all want (i.e walking around the full ship, boarding actions, performing repairs, eva's etc), that will have to be another paid for DLC and certainly the X-Box-one and PS4 wouldn't be able to run it. (Look at Star Citizen, you thing that would run on those consoles?)
Space Engineers has walking around the full ship, boarding actions, performing repairs, eva's etc, and it runs on XBox.

Yep.. Did they write a similar statement as a PSA too, or was it just part of the banter in an unscripted live stream, inquiring minds need to know :eek:
Going to be honest, "it was just banter" was not the response I was expecting. Do you think that a Frontier employee on a Frontier stream talking about how ship interiors wouldn't be worthwhile is "just part of the banter"? Weird banter.

Going to be honest, "it was just banter" was not the response I was expecting. Do you think that a Frontier employee on a Frontier stream talking about how ship interiors wouldn't be worthwhile is "just part of the banter"? Weird banter.
I certainly wouldn't be hanging on every unscripted word being uttered as pure pearls of wisdom and absolute fact... But that might just be my own attitude as I see the streams as light entertainment, unless they are being heralded as something actually important in the development of the game.

Perhaps everything needs to be severely scripted in every production, just to prevent 'fans' from interpreting stuff in any other way than the corporate statements wish them to be?

Space Engineers has walking around the full ship, boarding actions, performing repairs, eva's etc, and it runs on XBox.
for 4 players on the xbox and 16 on the PC.

Sorry but we'd need at least 4 players per ship and up to 8 ships to be tracked and modelled at once (to match the current 32 player instance limit).

🤔 did Fdev just say interiors are on some form of roadmap ???? I confused
Megaships interiors are coming in update 8. Carrier interiors are all but confirm to come at some point in the future after update 8. Most likely generation ship interiors are on the horizon and players normal ships interiors are probably coming at some point.

I certainly wouldn't be hanging on every unscripted word being uttered as pure pearls of wisdom and absolute fact... But that might just be my own attitude as I see the streams as light entertainment, unless they are being heralded as something actually important in the development of the game.

Perhaps everything needs to be severely scripted in every production, just to prevent 'fans' from interpreting stuff in any other way than the corporate statements wish them to be?
I wouldn't take it as pure pearls of anything either, but I'm certainly not going to discredit it for no reason. His actions as a Frontier employee seem to suggest that ship interiors are not currently being worked on, as he has said and then clarified. I see no reason to accuse him of lying.

I wouldn't take it as pure pearls of anything either, but I'm certainly not going to discredit it for no reason. His actions as a Frontier employee seem to suggest that ship interiors are not currently being worked on, as he has said and then clarified. I see no reason to accuse him of lying.
Yes, true, they are not currently..... Isn't that precisely what I was saying... they are currently working on 'fixing' Odyssey... But never mind 🤷‍♂️

Top Bottom