Game Discussions Star Citizen Discussion Thread v12

It's going to be interesting now the AI has come to life - as Mole said yesterday it makes for some fun team gameplay, I guess it depends how often you have to run to hospital .. sounds less fun for those going solo if the chance of actually getting injured is going up. Still - hope the AI makes it to the PU (y)
I suppose it's more reastic to need a turn on a hospital or medical bed if you get any injury bigger than a minor cut...whether it makes entertaining gameplay for the solo players, we'll have to see. Bunker missions were never that dangerous before and very easily completed solo...now that the gun toting variety of NPC's seem to have benefited from a bit of server backend jiggery pokery, it's now a bit more hazardous...I wouldn't recommend anyone trying a bunker mission on their own in 3.15, even if you get incapacitated and not killed, you can't use your own medigun to heal yourself if you're unconscious and you'll have to rely on someone coming out to rescue you...killing all the NPC's still in there to do so. Even then...that's asuming your would be rescuer doesn't just nick your armour and guns and leave you lying there in your underpants :D

Last edited:
If you would like to dive a bit into the issues of MMO networking, authority etc., based on the mess New World is turning out to be, there are some good comments in this thread:
https://www.reddit.com/r/Games/comments/qh5dor Source: https://www.reddit.com/r/Games/comments/qh5dor/new_world_is_broken_josh_strife_hayes/

"
Most MMOs validate everything on the server because hacking has big implications, compared to an aimbot on CS which ruins one game for 9 players. Of course, this is why MMOs have simple combat with tab targeting, GCDs, low tick rates, no collision, etc, because you want to validate every action and the cost is worth it. Clearly, this wasn't feasible if they wanted more complex combat in New World, the programmers knew what they were doing and are probably relying on anti-cheat to catch hackers. Time will tell whether it was a good decision, but I think it was, nobody would've bought New World if it had stock standard MMO combat, it was the reason people bought it and what we're seeing is the downside.
"

If you would like to dive a bit into the issues of MMO networking, authority etc., based on the mess New World is turning out to be, there are some good comments in this thread:
https://www.reddit.com/r/Games/comments/qh5dor Source: https://www.reddit.com/r/Games/comments/qh5dor/new_world_is_broken_josh_strife_hayes/

"
Most MMOs validate everything on the server because hacking has big implications, compared to an aimbot on CS which ruins one game for 9 players. Of course, this is why MMOs have simple combat with tab targeting, GCDs, low tick rates, no collision, etc, because you want to validate every action and the cost is worth it. Clearly, this wasn't feasible if they wanted more complex combat in New World, the programmers knew what they were doing and are probably relying on anti-cheat to catch hackers. Time will tell whether it was a good decision, but I think it was, nobody would've bought New World if it had stock standard MMO combat, it was the reason people bought it and what we're seeing is the downside.
"

Ooof, gold injection, hemmoraging players, invulnerability exploit (especially bad for PvP) which might require a complete rework.

"
"
Feels like MP games often just repeat the previous mistakes over and over. Do the devs think "this time it will be different"? Or is it just neglect? Inexperience?

Feels like MP games often just repeat the previous mistakes over and over. Do the devs think "this time it will be different"? Or is it just neglect? Inexperience?
Heck, even games that seem to have learned from mistakes of others in their original design docs, repeat those exact same mistakes when it comes time to implement that side of things. I really liked what I saw in Elite Dangerous' DDF before the game went into Alpha. Back in 2013-2014, I thought their design was innovative when it came to an open-PvP environment, that would maximize the benefits while minimizing the drawbacks. It's a pity Frontier never bothered to implement 90% of what they had planned, and replaced it with something more standard, with all the problems that entailed.

I just think most developers are eternal optimists (look at how often schedules slip, for instance) and vastly underestimate the effects of GIFT. That, and they forget the real Murphy's Law: if there's more than one way of doing something, one of which is obviously wrong, someone's bound to do it that way. Finding and fixing the wrong or weird ways of doing things is the hardest part of any design.

Heck, even games that seem to have learned from mistakes of others in their original design docs, repeat those exact same mistakes when it comes time to implement that side of things. I really liked what I saw in Elite Dangerous' DDF before the game went into Alpha. Back in 2013-2014, I thought their design was innovative when it came to an open-PvP environment, that would maximize the benefits while minimizing the drawbacks. It's a pity Frontier never bothered to implement 90% of what they had planned, and replaced it with something more standard, with all the problems that entailed.

I just think most developers are eternal optimists (look at how often schedules slip, for instance) and vastly underestimate the effects of GIFT. That, and they forget the real Murphy's Law: if there's more than one way of doing something, one of which is obviously wrong, someone's bound to do it that way. Finding and fixing the wrong or weird ways of doing things is the hardest part of any design.
That and people do, indeed, repeat mistakes of the past because they were not the ones making them the last time. So they keep reinventing the wheel while building MMOs, preordering video games etc.

That and people do, indeed, repeat mistakes of the past because they were not the ones making them the last time. So they keep reinventing the wheel while building MMOs, preordering video games etc.
Yes, reinventing the wheel - it almost like none of the experiences are kinda codified. Then again, technology changes and stuff might become feasible. So they try again and fail some other reason for.

repeat mistakes of the past because they were not the ones making them the last time.
Those mistakes are Never Been Done by CIG Before!

Even then...that's asuming your would be rescuer doesn't just nick your armour and guns and leave you lying there in your underpants
Of course not! He will provide you with a patient gown:
You won't be leaving with your armour, that's fer sure :oops:

My6Xg4c.png

Last edited:
Remember when CIG made a big thing about unified first/third person modelling?

Thing is, i have no idea what FD have done here, whether it is unified or not (i guess not), but as a player, i don't give a fig, it makes no difference to what i see.
The decision to do the modelling like that was hilariously bad.

Are they still doing it or have they gone back to doing things the way that literally everyone else in the industry is?

Top Bottom