"No plans to port Elite Dangerous to PS5"

@sallymorganmoore and @Arthur Tolmie sorry for the pings, but i would like to say thank you for some interaction on todays stream. Although when there is no news, you restore some faith in Fdev for me. Indeed the given statements are most similiar but to know that the plan is still bring EDO to consoles helps a lot. It’s the little glimpses who bring up faith and trust and today, there was a little shiny light.

oh and Arf welcome on board with your ps5. I’m tinfoiling that you check some shadow alpha Raxxla feeling things for perhaps consoles Version of EDO on ps5. Anyway have fun with the ps5. Would lovely to see you out in the black for a little conservation, this would be the way to install it again. Till this happens, will sit patient for now and wait, hopefully there further glimpses. Have a nice evening.

Last edited:
cough
  • 10 million PS5s sold
  • 6.5 million new Xboxi (the correct plural that I just made up) sold.
  • That's 16 million units sold in the first year, with christmas coming up. PS5 is currently outselling the Switch….

<record scratch>… whoa there, that’s going a bit far… it’s not even close. The Nintendo Switch has sold 90million units, and in the last 6 months The Switch (blue line) consistently been outselling the PS5 (green line) except for a brief period just before the OLED model came out.

A5E82985-203A-4568-8538-58249441BFC2.jpeg

@sallymorganmoore and @Arthur Tolmie sorry for the pings, but i would like to say thank you for some interaction on todays stream. Although when there is no news, you restore some faith in Fdev for me. Indeed the given statements are most similiar but to know that the plan is still bring EDO to consoles helps a lot. It’s the little glimpses who bring up faith and trust and today, there was a little shiny light.

oh and Arf welcome on board with your ps5. I’m tinfoiling that you check some shadow alpha Raxxla feeling things for perhaps consoles Version of EDO on ps5. Anyway have fun with the ps5. Would lovely to see you out in the black for a little conservation, this would be the way to install it again. Till this happens, will sit patient for now and wait, hopefully there further glimpses. Have a nice evening.
As an alternative to pinging people and then apologising for pinging them in the same post, you could always just not ping them. Just a wild idea I had. I know, I'm a creative thinker.

(Note - I don't have any issue with these particular pings, it will probably be nice for the community team to read something supportive for a change. It's more of a general point :) )

<record scratch>… whoa there, that’s going a bit far… it’s not even close. The Nintendo Switch has sold 90million units, and in the last 6 months The Switch (blue line) consistently been outselling the PS5 (green line) except for a brief period just before the OLED model came out.

View attachment 274541

This was in response to an offhand comment from someone that the PS5 hadn't sold many units. The facts:

1) PlayStation 5 was the best-selling hardware platform of September in both units and dollars.
2) PlayStation 5 is the best-selling hardware platform of 2021 year-to-date in dollars, while Nintendo Switch leads in units.

Your graph does nothing to suggest otherwise. Not really sure what your point is within the context of this discussion. It's hardly indicative of a console that's not selling enough units to justify investment in a native platform for Elite Dangerous: Odyssey. (the point of the discussion, not "who's best Nintendo or Sony")

Leave the record scratching to Jurassic 5 in future?

As an alternative to pinging people and then apologising for pinging them in the same post, you could always just not ping them. Just a wild idea I had. I know, I'm a creative thinker.

(Note - I don't have any issue with these particular pings, it will probably be nice for the community team to read something supportive for a change. It's more of a general point :) )
So it’s hard to fit in your opinion, you didn’t like the brutal honest of some of our post, then on the other hand when we have something which is positiv, there is something which you don’t like again 😜

I'm not sure it's confirmed that they still are bringing Odyssey to console. As far as I can work out:

• They originally had a plan for last-gen to launch Odyssey alongside the PC version.
  • that plan did not include cutting edge features like a plan for PS5/XsX versions, or a plan for Cross Play.
  • They did not at the time confirm or deny whether multi-controller support was in the original plan.

• In July they informed us that all plans are on hold.
  • and also that the plan may need to be revised.
  • they were - and have since - been unable to communicate a plan on when the original plan will be revised.
  • They are planning on providing more information as to when a revised plan might be available, and what that new plan may or may not deliver.
  • It's not clear that once the new plan is available, whether there will be a plan to implement it in a given timescale.

I think that's crystal clear and we should just stop asking, right..?!

This was in response to an offhand comment from someone that the PS5 hadn't sold many units. The facts:

1) PlayStation 5 was the best-selling hardware platform of September in both units and dollars.
2) PlayStation 5 is the best-selling hardware platform of 2021 year-to-date in dollars, while Nintendo Switch leads in units.

Your graph does nothing to suggest otherwise. Not really sure what your point is within the context of this discussion. It's hardly indicative of a console that's not selling enough units to justify investment in a native platform for Elite Dangerous: Odyssey. (the point of the discussion, not "who's best Nintendo or Sony")

Leave the record scratching to Jurassic 5 in future?
Funnily enough, I was listening to “Power In Numbers” earlier this week; how apt.

I was simply correcting your assertion that “the PS5 is currently outselling the Switch”…. that’s a pretty wild claim I couldn’t let slide. I already acknowledged the brief period before the OLED launch (September) when the PS5 overtook it, so there’s no point in bringing that up. As for dollars vs units… pfft, come on… units is what matters if you’re trying to establish whether you have enough paying customers to convince 3rd party developers. Just ask SNK.

PS5 has only sold one tenth of the units of the PS4, and the Xbox Series a similar proportion of Xbox One. Out of that significantly smaller userbase, how many do you think play Elite Dangerous? It’s a very niche game. And how many would pay full price for a native version, given how well it works in Backwards Compatibilty (and already included with GamePass)? I’m playing it on the Xbox Series X, and it’s significantly improved over the PS4 Pro version.

Last edited:
“the PS5 is currently outselling the Switch”…. that’s a pretty wild claim I couldn’t let slide.
It was in terms of volume, and still is in terms of money/profit. Nothing wild about any of that. Not really the focus of this thread though.

PS5 has only sold one tenth of the units of the PS4, and the Xbox Series a similar proportion of Xbox One.
PS4 & Xbox One have been out since 2013, of course they've sold more, however it's worth pointing out that both are currently outselling last-gen in like-for-like first year sales . Again, not really the focus of this thread, though.

Out of that significantly smaller userbase, how many do you think play Elite Dangerous? It’s a very niche game.

I don't consider 16 million a small amount of potential customers. I also don't see how "it's a niche game" is relevant. Every game is niche by definition. If however by niche you mean it appeals to a relatively small amount of people, then is there any wonder when it's not had new content for so long, doesn't have cross play, and the company who create it show a clear bias to the PC player-base? The game is for all intents a live service, and has been painfully starved of compelling new content on console for lengthy periods since release, and continuously since Q2 2020. It's a self-fulfilling prophecy.

how well it works in Backwards Compatibilty (and already included with GamePass)
I’m playing it on the Xbox Series X, and it’s significantly improved over the PS4 Pro version.

That's good for you, but in contrast Elite on the PS5 has a max resolution of 1080p in BC mode, is not available for 'free', and is generally unstable in BC mode with frequent crashes. This being a thread specifically about PlayStation, in the PlayStation section of the forum of course...

It was in terms of volume, and still is in terms of money/profit. Nothing wild about any of that. Not really the focus of this thread though.

It may not be the focus of the thread, but you brought up the comparison with Nintendo Switch, and you’re still wrong: Sony and Microsoft sell their hardware at a loss; Nintendo sell their hardware at a profit. It’s always been that way, here are some articles on the subject in case you’re in any doubt:

Additionally, the PS5 is selling about as well as the PS4 (https://www.vgchartz.com/article/450233/ps5-vs-ps4-sales-comparison-july-2021/) which is great, but do you remember how long we had to wait before Elite Dangerous came to the PS4? Nearly six years.

Sony are nevertheless profitable, but this is from game sales - they make license money off every non-first-party game sold, as well as 30% off every digital sale via their store - and that is as a result of their massive PS4 userbase (over 110 million). But Sony’s profits are largely irrelevant to a 3rd party developer wanting to know how many units they will shift in order to justify the cost of development.

I don't consider 16 million a small amount of potential customers.
You don’t, because you’re mistaking possible customers for potential customers. Only a tiny fraction of that 16 million would likely buy Elite Dangerous, because the entire concept (space simulator) is of limited appeal.

Elite has only sold around 3 million units to date compared with, for example, CoD Warzone that’s already sold 100 million. Elite is never going to have that kind of mass market appeal, no matter how much current-gen lipstick you put on it.

Couple that with the fact that PS5 and Xbox Series X consoles are still incredibly difficult to get hold of, due to the ongoing chip shortage, I’m not at all surprised a relatively small outfit such as Frontier are focussing their efforts on polishing Odyssey for PC and porting other games to Nintendo Switch.

I get it… you’re upset at getting a brand new games platform and finding Elite runs terribly on it, and I guess my smug comment about how amazing it is on the Xbox Series X (4K, 60fps, Dolby Vision HDR) only poured salt in that wound… but I’m afraid that doesn’t amount to a solid business case to justify expensive development work, no matter how much you want it to be. Your personal disappointment doesn’t factor into their business decisions.

Frontier has shareholders to answer to (before customers) and, looking at the 5 year view on their share price, I‘m sure investors are satisfied with the business decisions they’re making.

04C0A97F-84F1-477F-8CFC-EC41452B86CE.jpeg

Deleted member 254248

D
Less than 10% of the Playstation users are using the PS5.

Last edited by a moderator:
It may not be the focus of the thread, but you brought up the comparison with Nintendo Switch, and you’re still wrong: Sony and Microsoft sell their hardware at a loss; Nintendo sell their hardware at a profit. It’s always been that way, here are some articles on the subject in case you’re in any doubt:

Additionally, the PS5 is selling about as well as the PS4 (https://www.vgchartz.com/article/450233/ps5-vs-ps4-sales-comparison-july-2021/) which is great, but do you remember how long we had to wait before Elite Dangerous came to the PS4? Nearly six years.

Sony are nevertheless profitable, but this is from game sales - they make license money off every non-first-party game sold, as well as 30% off every digital sale via their store - and that is as a result of their massive PS4 userbase (over 110 million). But Sony’s profits are largely irrelevant to a 3rd party developer wanting to know how many units they will shift in order to justify the cost of development.

You don’t, because you’re mistaking possible customers for potential customers. Only a tiny fraction of that 16 million would likely buy Elite Dangerous, because the entire concept (space simulator) is of limited appeal.

Elite has only sold around 3 million units to date compared with, for example, CoD Warzone that’s already sold 100 million. Elite is never going to have that kind of mass market appeal, no matter how much current-gen lipstick you put on it.

Couple that with the fact that PS5 and Xbox Series X consoles are still incredibly difficult to get hold of, due to the ongoing chip shortage, I’m not at all surprised a relatively small outfit such as Frontier are focussing their efforts on polishing Odyssey for PC and porting other games to Nintendo Switch.

I get it… you’re upset at getting a brand new games platform and finding Elite runs terribly on it, and I guess my smug comment about how amazing it is on the Xbox Series X (4K, 60fps, Dolby Vision HDR) only poured salt in that wound… but I’m afraid that doesn’t amount to a solid business case to justify expensive development work, no matter how much you want it to be. Your personal disappointment doesn’t factor into their business decisions.

Frontier has shareholders to answer to (before customers) and, looking at the 5 year view on their share price, I‘m sure investors are satisfied with the business decisions they’re making.

Those were the 2 claims I made. They're both true and support my position. (I'm not getting into a protracted discussion about the business practises of Sony and Nintendo - I have little interest and it's not relevant.)

What you say about lack of business justification to port Odyssey to the current gen consoles doesn't really hold any water. They've recently done it for Planet Coaster 2, which I would suggest is even more 'niche' than Elite Dangerous. They've also done the same for the recently launched JWE 2.

I do find it interesting - given the main negative impacts of not having a native version for the PS5 are not felt by non-PS5 CMDRs (e.g. resolution)- that this thread seems to attract more than it's fair share of PC and XBox CMDRs, trying to argue that it's neither necessary or justified. 🤔 I see you 👀

I do find it interesting - given the main negative impacts of not having a native version for the PS5 are not felt by non-PS5 CMDRs (e.g. resolution)- that this thread seems to attract more than it's fair share of PC and XBox CMDRs, trying to argue that it's neither necessary or justified. 🤔 I see you 👀
A fair point, but I was for several years a PS4 CMDR and have been following this thread since the beginning. I only became an Xbox CMDR in July this year, and the fact that it would enable me to continue playing Elite with all the improvements I listed played a massive role in jumping camp. If Frontier ever do release a native version of Elite for PS5, believe me, I will buy a PS5 console for that alone; as I had much invested in the PS4 version, not least my prized DW2 stickers and Elite Explorer ranking.

Last edited:
What you say about lack of business justification to port Odyssey to the current gen consoles doesn't really hold any water. They've recently done it for Planet Coaster 2, which I would suggest is even more 'niche' than Elite Dangerous. They've also done the same for the recently launched JWE 2.
But it remains a fact that they haven’t so, unless you’re seriously claiming they’re withholding the version you want out of spite, the most likely reason is that the business case doesn’t add up. That’s how business decisions are made… a simple cost/benefit analysis. You’ve not come up with any information that isn’t already public/common knowledge (setting aside our disagreement how you’ve framed it)… so they’re all factors that the accountants at Frontier will have already weighed up against the cost of making a PS5 native version.

Or are you really being so hubristic as to suggest you know better than them when it comes to making business decisions? That wouldn‘t be a good look.

Top Bottom