"No plans to port Elite Dangerous to PS5"

That will be a good time for a ps5 version because right now new consoles haven't sold nearly enough to justify the investment.

cough
  • 10 million PS5s sold
  • 6.5 million new Xboxi (the correct plural that I just made up) sold.
  • That's 16 million units sold in the first year, with christmas coming up. PS5 is currently outselling the Switch.
  • Odyssey has under-performed according to Frontier's financial statements. The PC playerbase cannot save them this time. It's time to expand it's sales potential and a non-native version isn't going to cut the mustard. Anyone who's played Elite on the PS5 will know that the 1080p presentation in backwards compatibility mode is massively underwhelming. Elite will die on console if they do not release a native version...

Simply put, Frontier can't afford to ignore a player group that baselines itself at 16.5 million in advance of the biggest retail sales period of the year.

Nah, I can see them shoot for 30fps@1080p. It's consoles, 30fps is fine. Maybe 1080p upsampled from 720p. I can see a current-gen version eventually. If EDO stabilized, gets decent sales and arx profits they might go for another dlc. That will be a good time for a ps5 version because right now new consoles haven't sold nearly enough to justify the investment.
Fastest selling consoles in history ā€¦ I think theyā€™re draft not to be looking into it!

PS4 sold faster, and total numbers of current gen is tiny compared to previous gen.

Depends on your time period ā€¦ it was faster selling over the initial 6 - 8 month period, guess COVID had an impact of late ā€¦

Regardless, still pretty successful even without considering the global / economic situation.

Last edited:

PS4 sold faster, and total numbers of current gen is tiny compared to previous gen.

1635810480666.png

Regardless, it's a bit daft to suggest that Frontier are in the position to ignore a userbase that will surpass Steam total daily player numbers within the next 12 months, and that's excluding Xboxi.

A native version makes absolute sense. Always has.

If you're a PC-only CMDR perhaps your view is skewed, though.

Last edited:
If you're a PC-only CMDR perhaps your view is skewed, though.

Adorable that you're still gatekeeping.

It might make sense to you and others that a native version be made but Frontier will make that decision based on their projections. I actually hope they do but at the same time I wouldn't be surprised if they don't.

Deleted member 254248

D
Go ask CD Projekt Red how well their native version of Cyberounk 2077 is coming along for PS5ā€¦

Would they rather have a playable game with downgraded performance and graphics (if you can call 1080p 60 FPS a downgrade) that they can sell to both PS4 and PS5 owners while they work for 18 months to make a native version, or would they rather have no console sales for another 18 months? Interesting question I think.

Last edited by a moderator:
Go ask CD Projekt Red how well their native version of Cyberounk 2077 is coming along for PS5ā€¦

Would they rather have a playable game with downgraded performance and graphics (if you can call 1080p 60 FPS a downgrade) that they can sell to both PS4 and PS5 owners while they work for 18 months to make a native version, or would they rather have no console sales for another 18 months? Interesting question I think.

While we're at it, shall we ask Hello Games about No Man's Sky? If you want to make comparisons to make a point, NMS is probably a more accurate choice.

Can you please ask them about PSVR as well while you're at it?

And Cross Play.

And Cross Save.

Cheers. (y)

Deleted member 254248

D
I get that youā€™re frustrated.

Hello Games went through all the same stuff FDev is going through now when they launched. Multiplayer was supposed to be in the game, but it wasnā€™t at launch, took two years to get that in the fourth update. XBox version took two years to publish. It took four years to get cross platform play. They ignored everyone, players, journalists and investors for months after the launch and that caused a massive storm. They learned some valuable lessons and have since done much better. We can always hope for the same from FDev.

Most people simply arenā€™t involved enough with the gaming industry to realize that nothing that weā€™re experiencing is new. Itā€™s all happened before, and will happen again. FDev made a big mistake when they released Odyssey, and itā€™s the same mistakes that other developers have made and will continue to make. Angry players have always existed, and will always continue to exist. They will always have outsized voices in public forums like this that have very little reflection on what happens with the actual development of the game. Tilting at windmills is certainly a pastimeā€¦just donā€™t expect the windmill to care.

FDev will release a console version when they feel that the experience is worth releasing. That version will be for whichever console or consoles their marketing group feels will maximize their profits. you can always hope for whatever you wantā€¦but hope isnā€™t a tactic.

Hello Games went through all the same stuff FDev is going through now when they launched. Multiplayer was supposed to be in the game, but it wasnā€™t at launch, took two years to get that in the fourth update. XBox version took two years to publish. It took four years to get cross platform play. They ignored everyone, players, journalists and investors for months after the launch and that caused a massive storm. They learned some valuable lessons and have since done much better. We can always hope for the same from FDev.

Most people simply arenā€™t involved enough with the gaming industry to realize that nothing that weā€™re experiencing is new. Itā€™s all happened before, and will happen again. FDev made a big mistake when they released Odyssey, and itā€™s the same mistakes that other developers have made and will continue to make. Angry players have always existed, and will always continue to exist. They will always have outsized voices in public forums like this that have very little reflection on what happens with the actual development of the game. Tilting at windmills is certainly a pastimeā€¦just donā€™t expect the windmill to care.

FDev will release a console version when they feel that the experience is worth releasing. That version will be for whichever console or consoles their marketing group feels will maximize their profits. you can always hope for whatever you wantā€¦but hope isnā€™t a tactic.
ED has been out for waaaaaay longer than NMS in base game / Horizons form and Odyssey is ā€œonly a DLCā€ so theyā€™re not really anywhere near the level of excuses that would be acceptable for a new game release.

Except, of course, Odyssey feels like it really is a new game under-the hold with a (badly) re-written engine. It probably should have been a separate game / sequel set in the same universe and that would have avoid a lot of the expectations, need to run on the same hardware, etc, bad PR ā€¦

I mean, two years to get a new game fully featured and performing well is bad. Two years to get a DLC in the same state? Thatā€™s just embarrassing.

I'm not angry. The day I get angry about playing a game is the day I stop playing.

I have played both NMS and Elite since launch. I actually really enjoyed the launch version of NMS and wasn't part of the collective "they lied to us" outcry simply because I don't buy into that particular part of 'gaming culture'. Hello Games have done an excellent job and clearly don't have the technical debt that Frontier have with Elite Dangerous, but importantly, also have an impetus to make sure as many people can play the game together, on whatever platform they choose, together.

My opinion on Elite Dangerous, and Odyssey, hasn't changed since I created this thread before PS5 launch last year. On a high level, the lack of action and planning around console-specific items such as native versions and Cross Play demonstrates to me that Frontier internally aren't willing to fully commit to console as a platform for this game.

It made little business sense to be releasing a long-awaited DLC in Dec 2020, right after the new consoles had launched, solely on the old gen consoles from 2013, and not even having anything resembling a long term plan for the PS5 and XSX machines. Yet that was the reality we were presented with, had confirmation from Frontier on, on multiple fronts (news media, community managers, etc.), going back to the OP, and that is the reality we have seen playing out since then.

I don't expect it to change any time soon. I do have a feeling that an announcement may be coming - not sure when, perhaps within the next 3 months, and I suspect it is not going to be good news for everyone... if the consistent, long term, lack of information ("no update at this time" is not information), and CM body language on the streams when it is mentioned, is anything to go by...

I'm not angry. The day I get angry about playing a game is the day I stop playing.

I have played both NMS and Elite since launch. I actually really enjoyed the launch version of NMS and wasn't part of the collective "they lied to us" outcry simply because I don't buy into that particular part of 'gaming culture'. Hello Games have done an excellent job and clearly don't have the technical debt that Frontier have with Elite Dangerous, but importantly, also have an impetus to make sure as many people can play the game together, on whatever platform they choose, together.

My opinion on Elite Dangerous, and Odyssey, hasn't changed since I created this thread before PS5 launch last year. On a high level, the lack of action and planning around console-specific items such as native versions and Cross Play demonstrates to me that Frontier internally aren't willing to fully commit to console as a platform for this game.

It made little business sense to be releasing a long-awaited DLC in Dec 2020, right after the new consoles had launched, solely on the old gen consoles from 2013, and not even having anything resembling a long term plan for the PS5 and XSX machines. Yet that was the reality we were presented with, had confirmation from Frontier on, on multiple fronts (news media, community managers, etc.), going back to the OP, and that is the reality we have seen playing out since then.

I don't expect it to change any time soon. I do have a feeling that an announcement may be coming - not sure when, perhaps within the next 3 months, and I suspect it is not going to be good news for everyone... if the consistent, long term, lack of information ("no update at this time" is not information), and CM body language on the streams when it is mentioned, is anything to go by...
Honestly, I get the feeling, that nobody knows at the moment at frontier, what will happens with the consoles. It feels like, that the release for consoles standing on the decision table. Keep my expectation very low, i think it is at the moment possible, that they are about to cancle EDO on consoles.

Last edited:
Seeing the performance issues that EDO is having on even high-end PCs, might it be possible that FDev will scrap plans to release it on the last gens and make EDO a next-gen exclusive? Perhaps that is why there is no news. They might be in a wait-and-see mode to see how optimized they can make the game. If they do a bang-up job, then they will probably go ahead with the original last-gen plan. But if they can't improve it sufficiently for the last-gens to run it, then they might go for the next-gen consoles. I think that is why there is no news. FDev just has to wait and see what is a realistic possibility for EDO optimization.

Seeing the performance issues that EDO is having on even high-end PCs, might it be possible that FDev will scrap plans to release it on the last gens and make EDO a next-gen exclusive? Perhaps that is why there is no news. They might be in a wait-and-see mode to see how optimized they can make the game. If they do a bang-up job, then they will probably go ahead with the original last-gen plan. But if they can't improve it sufficiently for the last-gens to run it, then they might go for the next-gen consoles. I think that is why there is no news. FDev just has to wait and see what is a realistic possibility for EDO optimization.

The fact they introduced AMD FSR and since apparently that will also work on XB1 and PS4, there is a chance that EDO will run on lastgen consoles.
Even if only at 720p upscaled to 1080p (with further refinement)

So, i'm not going to say never - especially now when Update8 has gotten the first noticeable improvement in performance.

Top Bottom