"No plans to port Elite Dangerous to PS5"

I didn't tell anybody 'not to moan', I offerered an observation on the nature of what appears to be a somewhat unhealthy 'relationship' with a consumer product.

Believe me, if I was trying to intentionally derail a thread, I could do a damn site better job of it that that. I actually thought that's what the person offering nothing more than than 'huh, PC player' as a comeback as if it had anything to do with anything was doing. I can accept that it was a much easier shot than actually addressing the topic though.

In the interest of this remaining 'on topic (whatever that is) I'll leave it at that. I am getting a bit tired of being treated like the spawn of satan by some posters because of the platform I play the game on though. Seriously.
You dont seem to realise that you HAVE the option to play Odysey on your pc game. Those of us on consoles are paying customers too and we have been shafted by the devs. So for you to come here and spout your nonsense is very inflamatory. You might want to think about that next time before you decide to post a comment.

You dont seem to realise that you HAVE the option to play Odysey on your pc game. Those of us on consoles are paying customers too and we have been shafted by the devs. So for you to come here and spout your nonsense is very inflamatory. You might want to think about that next time before you decide to post a comment.
You're paying customers for Horizons, which last time I checked is what you have. You haven't been 'shafted' at all.

Seriously mate, don't be talking to me about inflammatory posts when I paid £30 for an expansion which was literally unplayable for a lot of people on release and is now having corrective work done for the benefit of the people who already paid for it months ago. You have a very weird idea of what 'getting shafted' means'.

Putting the hyperbole and kebabs to one side …

I think you’re confusing two things here:

1. Odyssey for consoles (not what this thread is about)

2. A current-gen PlayStation console version of Elite Dangerous (which this thread IS about)

The former has the “on hold” statement applied to it. Which, I agree, implies it will eventually come “off hold” though the exact mountains that need to have moved for that to happen have not been clearly defined.

But THIS THREAD is about a native PS5 version of the game - even at the Horizons level if that were possible - irrespective of the state of the latest DLC. For that, we have simply been told “no plans”. Which means they have no intention of doing it. Unless we can persuade them otherwise.

Much like they had no intention of including any VR support in Odyssey … which changed (albeit not in a great way!) following forum pressure.

So, all we’re trying to do here is to continue to make it known that there is a demand for a PS5 native version: ideally one that affords current-gen PlayStation CMDRs the same benefits that XBox and PC CMDRs have, such as 4K, locked 60FPS, ultra-quality graphics (if my sons GTX1650 can manage it ….) and - just maybe! - not crashing multiple times per play-session.

Will it make any difference? Who knows but it sure can’t make it less likely!
I think a native PS5 version is the most likely option you're likely to get to be honest because I increasingly think the outcome of whatever internal review process is going on with regard to a PS4 version will be that they admit defeat with it, on the basis that they could do it in principle, but not to an acceptable quality for an actual paid release. I hope I'm wrong because that would obviously disappoint a lot of players and I know the original plan was 'no plans for a PS5 version' but that was back in the halcyon days when a PS4 version was going to come out along with the PC version and whatever else we may disagree on, that ship has obviously sailed long ago.

Last edited:
I think a native PS5 version is the most likely option you're likely to get to be honest because I increasingly think the outcome of whatever internal review process is going on with regard to a PS4 version will be that they admit defeat with it, on the basis that they could do it in principle, but not to an acceptable quality for an actual paid release. I hope I'm wrong because that would obviously disappoint a lot of players and I know the original plan was 'no plans for a PS5 version' but that was back in the halcyon days when a PS4 version was going to come out along with the PC version and whatever else we may disagree on, that ship has obviously sailed long ago.
In my opinion, and I've said this before, Frontier are too lazy to develop a native edition of the game. They will ride the back of backwards compatibility because it will offer a boost without their own hard work. That will suffice in the eyes of this lazy company.

Native editions will only happen if they reckon it is truly necessary in order to make the most viable profit from Odyssey and beyond, should the backwards compatibility be entirely inadequate.

Very useful information about hardware performance very close to consoles:

In my opinion, and I've said this before, Frontier are too lazy to develop a native edition of the game. They will ride the back of backwards compatibility because it will offer a boost without their own hard work. That will suffice in the eyes of this lazy company.

Native editions will only happen if they reckon it is truly necessary in order to make the most viable profit from Odyssey and beyond, should the backwards compatibility be entirely inadequate.

Lazy lol ok.

You may be right on this but that is categorically NOT what they have said. They have said “no plans” for a PS5 version and “on hold” to a PS4 Odyssey port with no signs that they will be able to ever take that off hold.

Thats’s why we’re worried. If they can’t get Odyssey working on antiquated PS4 hardware then the current situation is that we’ll get NOTHING. And even if they did decide at that point to do a 360 and instead do a PS5 port … how long will that take after wasting all that time?!!

I would happily pay £10 maybe £20 for a PS5 native version of Horizons. Given their PlayStation developers must largely be twiddling thumbs right now (as presumably they aren’t optimising PC code or creating art assets for new SRVs) I would have thought the last year would have been a prime opportunity to implement a PS5 native version: netting some extra cash from upgrading CMDRs AND some goodwill at the same time rather than leaving the console community feeling abandoned.

Then, if/when it came to porting Odyssey they’d have some experience to draw on and maybe even some reusable code - depending on how similar the Horizons and Odyssey builds are / would be for a console.

You may be right on this but that is categorically NOT what they have said. They have said “no plans” for a PS5 version and “on hold” to a PS4 Odyssey port with no signs that they will be able to ever take that off hold.

Thats’s why we’re worried. If they can’t get Odyssey working on antiquated PS4 hardware then the current situation is that we’ll get NOTHING. And even if they did decide at that point to do a 360 and instead do a PS5 port … how long will that take after wasting all that time?!!

I would happily pay £10 maybe £20 for a PS5 native version of Horizons. Given their PlayStation developers must largely be twiddling thumbs right now (as presumably they aren’t optimising PC code or creating art assets for new SRVs) I would have thought the last year would have been a prime opportunity to implement a PS5 native version: netting some extra cash from upgrading CMDRs AND some goodwill at the same time rather than leaving the console community feeling abandoned.

Then, if/when it came to porting Odyssey they’d have some experience to draw on and maybe even some reusable code - depending on how similar the Horizons and Odyssey builds are / would be for a console.

A native version of Horizons? I'd probably pay a small amount at this stage. The big factor would be the forthcoming merge with Odyssey and whether e.g the new SRV and FC services are also coming to Horizons.

stormyuk

Volunteer Moderator
A native version of Horizons? I'd probably pay a small amount at this stage. The big factor would be the forthcoming merge with Odyssey and whether e.g the new SRV and FC services are also coming to Horizons.
Same. I think they have pretty much missed the boat for a Horizons PS5 native version and my wallet now.

I unfortunately doubt it will happen at Odyssey either at this stage.

Same. I think they have pretty much missed the boat for a Horizons PS5 native version and my wallet now.

I unfortunately doubt it will happen at Odyssey either at this stage.

In general, how does ED run on a ps5 at the moment?

I've been flirting with the idea of getting a PS5 for their exclusive games.

stormyuk

Volunteer Moderator
In general, how does ED run on a ps5 at the moment?

I've been flirting with the idea of getting a PS5 for their exclusive games.
It runs ok, loads faster, transitions from SC are faster, the frame rate is much more stable. Mostly 60fps but, there are some places like shard forests where you still get slow down. It is as this thread is about isn't tapping into a lot of the PS5 power.

It's unfortunately stuck in 1080p so isn't really holding up that well compared to pretty much most games running on the PS5 graphically.

Plus there is a game breaking bug which is causing crashes, appears to be where systems have high population of CMDRs and fleet carriers. The exact issue hasn't been really fully understood.

It runs ok but, I wouldn't upgrade to a PS5 for Elite. The problem is when you play games such as Ratchet and Demon Souls which look amazing on a 4K HDR screen, going back to Elite in blurry 1080p is jarring. I prefer Horizons on my PC at 1440p native on my PC monitor if I am honest.

Elite on PS5 is in desperate need of love and attention from FDev.

It would probably take a decent while for sure and ultimately it's a decision that the accountants will take as much as the game developers. Faced with the possibility of releasing a badly hacked together version of Odyssey for eight year old consoles though, they're likely to look at whether there's enough money to be made from a better version designed from the ground up for current generation gear, on the basis that the takeup of that gear (and therefore the potential market) is only going to increase over time, whereas the last generation is going to mirror that with a decline.

Obviously, the other side of the calculation is that they may determine projected sales wouldn't be enough to make it viable.

I certainly can't see how a PS4 version is ever going to happen. I'm basis that on my own experience with Odyssey on PC - my PC is very old (eight years by an amusing coincidence, like the PS4) and has an i7 3770 with 16 gig of RAM. I do however have a more modern graphics card than you'd expect in a machine that old because my old one blew a while back and I replaced it with a 2060.

Here's a comparison between my ancient CPU and a PS4 Pro:

Scroll down to the 'performance' section.

That ain't good at all and you need to bear in mind that on top of that, my 2060 also knocks the living crap out of the graphics hardware in a PS4.

Guess what performance I get in Odyssey with that rig? Around 60fps in concourses, less in CZs, at 1080p without using supersampling. And you could use my PC as a room heater whilst it's doing that. That's after eight Odyssey updates, five months after release. So realistically, no matter how much optimising they do, I just can't see how they're going to come up with a version of Odyssey that can deal with 60fps @ 1080p on last gen console hardware.

That's why I'd think there's hope for you for a native PS5 version - because I really think the tech issues will take anything other than that off the table before the game has even begun. Like I said, it will depend on how much money they think is in it in terms of sales, not only of Odyssey but whatever comes after it. If they see this as the last update to Elite then yeah, it might well be over for consoles. If they see Odyssey as a platform on which future content (and sales) will be delivered, it may make sense financially to take the development hit now and make a version for current gen consoles.

That obviously wasn't FDev's intent back when Odyssey was first announced, they'd clearly intended making a last-gen console version only but as John Lennon said, life is what happens to you whilst you're making plans.

Last edited:
It would probably take a decent while for sure and ultimately it's a decision that the accountants will take as much as the game developers. Faced with the possibility of releasing a badly hacked together version of Odyssey for eight year old consoles though, they're likely to look at whether there's enough money to be made from a better version designed from the ground up for current generation gear, on the basis that the takeup of that gear (and therefore the potential market) is only going to increase over time, whereas the last generation is going to mirror that with a decline.

Obviously, the other side of the calculation is that they may determine projected sales wouldn't be enough to make it viable.

I certainly can't see how a PS4 version is ever going to happen. I'm basis that on my own experience with Odyssey on PC - my PC is very old (eight years by an amusing coincidence, like the PS4) and has an i7 3770 with 16 gig of RAM. I do however have a more modern graphics card than you'd expect in a machine that old because my old one blew a while back and I replaced it with a 2060.

That ain't good at all and you need to bear in mind that on top of that, my 2060 also knocks the living crap out of the graphics hardware in a PS4.

Guess what performance I get in Odyssey with that rig? Around 60fps in concourses, less in CZs, at 1080p without using supersampling. And you could use my PC as a room heater whilst it's doing that. That's after eight Odyssey updates, five months after release. So realistically, no matter how much optimising they do, I just can't see how they're going to come up with a version of Odyssey that can deal with 60fps @ 1080p on last gen console hardware.

That's why I'd think there's hope for you for a native PS5 version - because I really think the tech issues will take anything other than that off the table before the game has even begun. Like I said, it will depend on how much money they think is in it in terms of sales, not only of Odyssey but whatever comes after it. If they see this as the last update to Elite then yeah, it might well be over for consoles. If they see Odyssey as a platform on which future content (and sales) will be delivered, it may make sense financially to take the development hit now and make a version for current gen consoles.

That obviously wasn't FDev's intent back when Odyssey was first announced, they'd clearly intended making a last-gen console version only but as John Lennon said, life is what happens to you whilst you're making plans.
It’s really quite astonishing how badly Odyssey seems to run in comparison to Horizons … my son has an i5 2440 with 8Gb RAM and a GTX1650 and can run Elite (Horizons) at 1440p on Ultra quality with around 60fps or the same with 4K and get 30fps.

So, Horizons on PS5 I would have been hoping for 4K / 60fps but if it only comes with Odyssey then I wonder if that would even be possible.

I really can't see how
It’s really quite astonishing how badly Odyssey seems to run in comparison to Horizons … my son has an i5 2440 with 8Gb RAM and a GTX1650 and can run Elite (Horizons) at 1440p on Ultra quality with around 60fps or the same with 4K and get 30fps.

So, Horizons on PS5 I would have been hoping for 4K / 60fps but if it only comes with Odyssey then I wonder if that would even be possible.
My old graphics card (same pc) was a 660Ti (lol) and it ran Horizons like silk. That's below even the stated minimum specs for Odyssey. There's no question that Odyssey does place far higher demands on GPUs in particular and that when they first announced Odyssey, FDev had a view of anticipated performance that was optimistic at best.

I'm rocking a 1660 stock and I get 100% CPU usage on it with 30fps or below (mostly below) on planets and 100+ in space. How they've had 8 updates and not managed to iron out the performance is frankly shocking.

I'm rocking a 1660 stock and I get 100% CPU usage on it with 30fps or below (mostly below) on planets and 100+ in space. How they've had 8 updates and not managed to iron out the performance is frankly shocking.
I'm no expert on graphics performance but as other better informed people have said it does point to something being seriously inefficient or otherwise awry in the pipeline because although yeah, it is obviously more graphically demanding than Horizons, I can't really see how it's more demanding to this degree.

stormyuk

Volunteer Moderator

The PS4 (and the Pro) never had great CPUs, even at launch they were very very underpowered. Thats been rectified this time around, but, while the PS5 CPU is actually in a much better place than the PS4's was at launch it will of course date over time, as all hardware does. the PS4 Pro actually (like the Xbox One X) has much better graphical processing power than the original machines but they are still hobbled by the Jaguar CPU.

The thing is, this isn't news to Frontier, they must have known the console weaknesses even back at the Xbox and PS4 launches. Its not a "sudden" revelation for Odyssey. But, I hope you are right and they do actually manage to do something on the PS5 (and Xbox Series consoles). I very much would as my number one request like to see the PS5 running Elite in 4K as the Xbox One X does today.

I would personally be happy with a solid stable 4K / 30fps on the PS5 and I think that is doable, even with Odyssey.

Even though my PC can run games at 1440p@144fps and G-Sync (has 32Gb Memory, Core i7-11700k, NVme Drive, RTX 3070), its still a PC and it still just feels like its "not built" for games even though its a "gaming PC" which I had built. I get games which are well below its caliber which still get unexplained hitches and odd graphical issues, usually down to drivers or the developer having to make it work on every configuration known to man, is it steam, is it gamepass windows store, is it epic.... Thats why consoles are so great as when games are built properly the experiance is usually just flawless with no messing around.

I am still happy with a stable, 30fps, no frame pacing issues, no judder, no stutter, no unexplained graphical glitches because my driver is not the 0.00003 version.

Still I can't play Age of Empires IV for free on my PS5 so its as usual, horses for courses. I just hope FDev put the PS5 and Odyssey back in the race.

Last edited:
The PS4 (and the Pro) never had great CPUs, even at launch they were very very underpowered. Thats been rectified this time around, but, while the PS5 CPU is actually in a much better place than the PS4's was at launch it will of course date over time, as all hardware does. the PS4 Pro actually (like the Xbox One X) has much better graphical processing power but is still hobbled by the Jaguar CPU.

The thing is, this isn't news to Frontier, they must have know the console weaknesses even back at the Xbox and PS4 launches. Its not a "sudden" revelation for Odyssey. But, I hope you are right and they do actually manage to do something on the PS5 (and Xbox Series consoles). I very much would as my number one request like to see the PS5 running Elite in 4K as the Xbox One X does today.
I'm not suggesting that the console's weaknesses were a sudden revelation, more that the requirements of Odyssey were. I mean originally they said it will run on the same hardware as Horizons and that has been proven to be absolute claptrap for any meaningful definition of 'run'. Certainly for any that involves an acceptable level of performance. As I said, my old system specs would run Horizons just fine and don't even hit the stated minimums for PCs now (and we have reports from people playing on close to minimum spec PCs that performance is terrible, as in 'you'd never get a console release approved with this' terrible.

The CPU is definitely the weak point with the old gen consoles, they were all about delivering a relatively hign amount of graphical oomph with sufficient supporting hardware to keep the wheels turning, which is obviously something that design philosophy can afford to embrace when the device isn't tasked with the do-it-all requirements that a PC has. Eight years down the line though, it looks like whatever minimal overhead there was for running software like Odyssey has been fully used up and more.

Last edited:

Nah, I can see them shoot for 30fps@1080p. It's consoles, 30fps is fine. Maybe 1080p upsampled from 720p. I can see a current-gen version eventually. If EDO stabilized, gets decent sales and arx profits they might go for another dlc. That will be a good time for a ps5 version because right now new consoles haven't sold nearly enough to justify the investment.

I'm not suggesting that the console's weaknesses were a sudden revelation, more that the requirements of Odyssey were. I mean originally they said it will run on the same hardware as Horizons and that has been proven to be absolute claptrap for any meaningful definition of 'run'. Certainly for any that involves an acceptable level of performance. As I said, my old system specs would run Horizons just fine and don't even hit the stated minimums for PCs now (and we have reports from people playing on close to minimum spec PCs that performance is terrible, as in 'you'd never get a console release approved with this' terrible.

The CPU is definitely the weak point with the old gen consoles, they were all about delivering a relatively hign amount of graphical oomph with sufficient supporting hardware to keep the wheels turning, which is obviously something that design philosophy can afford to embrace when the device isn't tasked with the do-it-all requirements that a PC has. Eight years down the line though, it looks like whatever minimal overhead there was for running software like Odyssey has been fully used up and more.
There are android phones with cpus twice as fast as the PS4. Hardware is ancient.

Top Bottom