Elite Dangerous Issue Report - 16/11/2021

It's not in their list because their list are the top 20 from the Odyssey bugs. The FSD bug was posted under Horizons 3.8.
That's false. There are plenty of bugs in there not reported for Odyssey, also nowhere it says something like that.

Edit: Just to append some evidence..
1637085060382.png

1637085091719.png

1637085106881.png

1637085117756.png

1637085160412.png

1637085188071.png

Some of the bugs are even older than Odyssey.

Last edited:
Anti Aliasing Not Working Correctly - [...] To a degree, aliasing has been mildly improved somewhat due to planet texture generation changes, rather than an anti-aliasing system change.
It's not just planets... disembark from your ship in a station and walk to the elevator, massive amounts of aliasing and shimmering lines there. it's everywhere :/
Since update 7 it seems to have crept into Horizons as well.

Exiting the Game just hangs need to force terminate - [..] More information on the specific circumstances which cause this issue are being looked into as we continue to reach out and research.
Seems to be fairly consistent before the servers are brought down for daily maintenance. Try 5-10 mins before the scheduled time.

Illumination of background planets is tied to illumination of player ship by the illuminating star - Similar to the above brightness/contrast issue: could be related to system limitations but otherwise may require further overhauls.
What do you mean by system limitations (which/what/whose system)? I've seen this phrasing used in previous issue reports too, but never quite understood what was meant.

Incorrect brightness/contrast adjustment depending on angle between camera ship and star - This will require investigation into changing the way lighting has worked since before Odyssey.
Also curious about this one - the issue doesn't occur in Horizons, because (from what i know), Horizons doesn't try doing a pseudo-HDR / auto-exposure effect (or is extremely subtle/smart about it).

In Odyssey the entire image is dimmed/brightened according to what the centre of the screen is focused on. It behaves like a digital camera with auto-exposure. That's the best description i can give.

The vast majority of that post is not a bug. It's how looking for sites works in Odyssey. If you can show that Needle Clusters still don't drop the highest grade materials, then that is a bug. But you'd want to edit the issue to reflect that.
Thanks Ozric, I figured it was a change in the behaviour but hadn't heard anything either way...I'll check out the material grade drops in a bit more detail and update the issue if that is a problem. It does still feel like improvements should be made here given how much more time it takes to locate geological sites in Odyssey over Horizons but at least I know for sure now that this is expected behaviour :)

Cheers,
Pete

Really appreciate the continuing clarity of where we all are in relation to the state of the game, want to say thanks for the improved communication but still saddened to see how slow that progress is..There is still a long road to go.

Ozric

Volunteer Moderator
Thanks Ozric, I figured it was a change in the behaviour but hadn't heard anything either way...I'll check out the material grade drops in a bit more detail and update the issue if that is a problem. It does still feel like improvements should be made here given how much more time it takes to locate geological sites in Odyssey over Horizons but at least I know for sure now that this is expected behaviour :)

Cheers,
Pete
Good stuff, I think they put a fix in for the sites not dropping the correct materials but I haven't been to one in a while to check. If it is still an issue though, it might make it easier to find

Just a general note.
It's fair enough to not like the direction the scanning has taken, there have been a few threads on the forum about it :) but despite how a couple of the issues in the top 20 make it look, the Issue Tracker is for reporting bugs. We have a suggestions forum for requests.

Good stuff, I think they put a fix in for the sites not dropping the correct materials but I haven't been to one in a while to check. If it is still an issue though, it might make it easier to find

Just a general note.
It's fair enough to not like the direction the scanning has taken, there have been a few threads on the forum about it :) but despite how a couple of the issues in the top 20 make it look, the Issue Tracker is for reporting bugs. We have a suggestions forum for requests.
Yeah that makes sense, it's not that I don't like it - the concept is better and the heat map works fine for Biological signals but seems to work differently for geo sites, hence the confusion as to whether this is intended or not :) Now I know this is by design then yes I'll likely post some ideas in the suggestions forum...

Thanks,
Pete

I am EXTREMELY disappointed by number 13. I kinda feel this will be slowly abandoned and there will always be something "more important". I really really wish to be wrong here, but considering that VR is something current development team would probably rather like to not exist whatsoever...

and despite it being #2 since yesterday, it did not show up in their list (dated yesterday).
The list is of Top Acknowledged bugs rather than Top Confirmed bugs.

This is the only Confirmed-but-not-Acknowledged bug in the top 20, but there are quite a few more just below that. The pace of Acknowledging bugs after Confirmation has slowed down quite a lot - and really, they should use the Top Confirmed list in the first place for these posts as this is the second time the difference between the two has been important.

For some reason I start to get the impression that although we get an overview of the top issues every month, FD still mostly works like they did before the odyssey uproar.
There are still multiple old top rated issues which are being pushed back (ignored) because of other things FD decided to work on.
Hope I am wrong

@sallymorganmoore It's not in the top 20, but is there any news on the default Drake-class fleet carrier layout not being retrievable if you put another one on? (there's no item in the list of layouts for either the Drake-class or "remove", which is the way you'd expect it to work from paint jobs etc.)

1. Illegal Goods incorrectly attract -25% 'Stolen' markdown - The design team are currently investigating this issue. It may be possible to fix this in time for Update 9, but we'll make it a priority to update you on progress regardless.
The vast majority of that post is not a bug. It's how looking for sites works in Odyssey. If you can show that Needle Clusters still don't drop the highest grade materials, then that is a bug. But you'd want to edit the issue to reflect that.
UnripeThoroughHalibut-max-1mb.gif

Powerplay - No CC income in formerly contested systems - This is unfortunately not a quick or easy fix, so we're currently at a 'TBD' stage with progress on this one. It's in our line of sight though, of course and we'll hopefully have more updates as we move on this one.
If it's not an easy fix, then something is fundamentally wrong with how it's calculated. I can (sort of) calculate these numbers correctly every single week (there are some rules that aren't public - hence "sort of").

I am not special. I am not some kind of demigod when it comes to programming.

This issue keeps cropping up almost every time systems are lost and they were contesting income. It's not a new problem either. It's been like this since the beginning. As I said, something is fundamentally wrong.

And every time it gets "fixed" the fix happens the same way - manual updating of a system's value rather than fixing the underlying issue of how it's calculated.

And that fundamental underlying issue isn't limited to income from previously contesting systems. It's a constant problem in the galaxy map and PowerPlay menu for preparation systems, and this too has been a problem every since PowerPlay was introduced. I can't speak for other powers, but in Mahon we stopped trusting the Galaxy Map for preparation values way back in 2015. By cycle 18 we had "declared war" on Universal Cartographics because the data was completely unreliable. It is currently cycle 337. That's 315 weeks of unreliable data in PowerPlay.

Someone keeps deciding that it is cheaper to spend the time manually fixing problems than it is to find the underlying cause.

If it's not an easy fix, then something is fundamentally wrong with how it's calculated. I can (sort of) calculate these numbers correctly every single week (there are some rules that aren't public - hence "sort of").

I am not special. I am not some kind of demigod when it comes to programming.

This issue keeps cropping up almost every time systems are lost and they were contesting income. It's not a new problem either. It's been like this since the beginning. As I said, something is fundamentally wrong.

And every time it gets "fixed" the fix happens the same way - manual updating of a system's value rather than fixing the underlying issue of how it's calculated.

And that fundamental underlying issue isn't limited to income from previously contesting systems. It's a constant problem in the galaxy map and PowerPlay menu for preparation systems, and this too has been a problem every since PowerPlay was introduced. I can't speak for other powers, but in Mahon we stopped trusting the Galaxy Map for preparation values way back in 2015. By cycle 18 we had "declared war" on Universal Cartographics because the data was completely unreliable. It is currently cycle 337. That's 315 weeks of unreliable data in PowerPlay.

Someone keeps deciding that it is cheaper to spend the time manually fixing problems than it is to find the underlying cause.
I said a few weeks ago that someone at FD has a bad habit of applying quick and dirty fixes rather than properly solving the underlying problems, and these "fixes" inevitably lead to more problems later.

It applies to PowerPlay just as much as it does to the bodged ship models I was talking about at the time. Nice to know it hasn't really changed since I was more deeply involved ... sort of.

Top Bottom