Buckyball Racing Club and New Pilots Initiative present: New Pilots Hustle (8-16 January 3308)

The new name changed nothing... that regulation eagle is still making too much use of the Bi weave shields !
31:35 with an awfull position mistake droping of supercruise that cost me half a station length...
Sleep Autodestruct in 5, 4, 3, 2, 1, 0 !
Tomorrow.. maybe ?
So happy to have participated anyway :D

Have fun racers ! (and if I manage to fit anothr open attempt in my schedule, I drop 1 class of shields to get to 2D :D

HOOO CMDR Inga Stevenson ! You made my day with that route in the opposition direction in order to ake use of the supercharge and drop 1 jump !
Here is what I was doing VERY wrong !

unknown (2).png

Today’s had some hot action on the Regulation Eagle board, starting with CMDR Sulu who in two runs managed to TIE to the second Eldred-Brix’s Slingshot. Apparently learning where the landing pads where was key to Sulu’s new strat, which seems like a good idea for any new pilots watching. Keep that station map handy as you pass through the slot! The shields were also helpful as Sulu gave this ominous endorsement: “Flying hard? Don`t forget your Dynamic Shields or you may be forgot… permanently.”

Seingalt is another previous entrant still throwing the nimble Eagle around the course, and wins the award for “Most Improved” today, we they’ve managed to chop and massive 8 minutes off their previous time! Sadly in the close cluster that is the Regulation Eagle board that didn’t improve their placement at all, but they can rest easy knowing they have fulfilled Buckyball’s first directive “Improve Thyself.”

Dynamic Shields may be going for a homey campaign with this one: “They make me feel as safe as my Grand'Ma's hot cocoa, now with less sugar!”

In the battle at the top, the doughty Igna Stevenson continued her pursuit of the Turner, dodging interdiction and BUckyball fans to come within one ONE MEASLY SECOND of first place. Oh so close… so very VERY close. What will the final weekend hold for our heroine? Who knows, perhaps more local sabotage is afoot…

In Open Unlimited, it was a mite quieter, with veteran Buckyballer CMDR Cheetah showing up on the seen, in a Hadouken I’m sure I’ve seen before many a time. He slipped it nimbly right in the middle of the scoreboard in slot number 5, waving to others out on the course and trying out his new VR headset, which surely took some time to get used to! Don’t forget to clean out the cockpit when you’re done out there CMDR, you’ll want some bleach to get the smell out. Maybe some miniaturized Dynamic Shields would help contain it, after all: “60% of the time they work everytime.”

2 days of racing left, good luck out there you crazy fools!

In the battle at the top, the doughty Igna Stevenson continued her pursuit of the Turner, dodging interdiction and BUckyball fans to come within one ONE MEASLY SECOND of first place. Oh so close… so very VERY close. What will the final weekend hold for our heroine? Who knows, perhaps more local sabotage is afoot…
I seem to recall someone in the Discord being slightly bemused that I would go to the trouble of single stepping the video of my run to gain 1 second by finding the exact frame where the final landing sequence completes. All I can say is thank god I did. Really hope I get time for one or two more runs over the weekend tho (before Inga goes back and scrutinises her own video a bit more closely). Also ... if that run had a dodged interdiction then I am definitely at risk here! 😬

Last edited:
Changed my route, supercharged... and had an almost smooth run (with enough risk taking to drop the shields twice and get to 30 something % hull... And got 31 minutes again.
I did something wrong obvioulsy. And then it dawned on me... I did refuel at Tesla 🤦‍♀️ that removes the supercharge right ?
I now know where I can shave a minute, but I don't thnik I will have time for another attempt.

PS : Fool of a Took is a beautyfull ship

Changed my route, supercharged... and had an almost smooth run (with enough risk taking to drop the shields twice and get to 30 something % hull... And got 31 minutes again.
I did something wrong obvioulsy. And then it dawned on me... I did refuel at Tesla 🤦‍♀️ that removes the supercharge right ?
I now know where I can shave a minute, but I don't thnik I will have time for another attempt.

PS : Fool of a Took is a beautyfull ship
Nope - in my experience refuelling didn't remove the supercharge (and with careful planning you should be able to get the route down to all single jumps except one where you'll need two jumps).

Gah! Four regulation runs this afternoon. The first interrupted by a pirate interdiction, the second 10 seconds slower than my current best, the third interdicted by my mum on the phone and the fourth 4 seconds slower than my best. No submission from me today then ... one more day to go!

Penultimate Scoreboard Update!

unknown (3).png

Hot on the tracks today, Antikythera67 switched from Open Unlimited to Regulation Eagle, and landed smack in the middle of the scoreboard at a hair over half an hour in the 13-NPH-BL1TZ. I think they stole their ship naming scheme from my bookmarks theme! This time in spite of arriving at the side of two stations and whacking a solar panel. Odd how that doesn’t get a fine, let’s all thank the Pilot’s Federation treaty for that! That’s when you need those Dynamic Shields most, and "When you absolutely, positively need to stick a landing at 150 m/s...you can rely on Dynamic Shields." Thanks Anti!

And hey, look who’s back since forever, it’s Stern Winter! Cruising around the course in the Rusty Penguin, running over some hapless commander outside Nimoy Station. Thankfully Stern’s shield held, since they’re “Dynamic Shields - a weave above the rest.”

Epaphus was also spotted in a Regulation Eagle, breaking the 30 minute barrier at a chill 29:55. Ominously… “Dynamic Shields never fail, until they do.” Epaphus, do you have a history with hields? Did they hurt you?

Shaye Blackwood switched ships again, with his fourth type of the race, trying out the popular Viper Mk 3 and naming it Plissken. Apparently it’s popular for a reason, because he knocked another chunk off his time to solidify his lead at 20:19. Will anyone be able to knock him off on the last day? Get out there and try Buckyballers!

Lastly, I’ve added my own run to the Open Unlimited board, safely off the podium, although hopefully I can beat at least ONE of Shaye’s ships!

Top Bottom