Update 9.01 - Patch Notes

I think... if it is true that final patches was result of a lot of overtime, it is an extremely serious and horrible problem. It shows that even if FDev will work harder, we can't receive proper updates any more. So I wish it is not true.

I have been working from home for 2 years and have noticed that my daily working hours are much longer than when I am in the office. However, significantly more time is required for meetings and documentation. The workload has increased with the same work results.

I don't know where the problem is in the Elite team, but it is clear that there is a problem and it is serious, because as we are seeing, they are releasing patches to fix the game, but they are generating other bugs, and bugs that we players detecting bugs the first 5 min of gameplay, which makes you think that the testing team is not doing its job, if there really is such a team.
There are games that have beta testers and they do it spontaneously, without receiving anything, an example is SCS games, like ATS and ETS 2, I believe it would be a good way to detect bugs that the team doesn't seem to be detecting.

There are games that have beta testers and they do it spontaneously, without receiving anything, an example is SCS games, like ATS and ETS 2, I believe it would be a good way to detect bugs that the team doesn't seem to be detecting.
We've had some public betas, but bugs & design flaws found in them were mostly ignored and thus included in the releases. Or reintroduced later.

I see the problem in the fact that the game has not been bug-free for a long time and yet new things are being implemented all the time. It's going to be very difficult to get a handle on.

I don't know where the problem is in the Elite team, but it is clear that there is a problem and it is serious, because as we are seeing, they are releasing patches to fix the game, but they are generating other bugs, and bugs that we players detecting bugs the first 5 min of gameplay, which makes you think that the testing team is not doing its job, if there really is such a team.
Amen!

I see the problem in the fact that the game has not been bug-free for a long time and yet new things are being implemented all the time. It's going to be very difficult to get a handle on.

I think you forgot 2019-2020. There were very long delayed Fleet carrier for "ordinary" patch jobs and many resurrected-bugs after FC launching. And tritium hot spot bug...

And at Horizone update time, there were many bugs.

At that time many users had "hope" and " faith", but now...

Last edited:
I think you forgot 2019. There were very long delayed Fleet carrier for "ordinary" patch jobs and many resurrected-bugs after FC launching.

And at Horizone update time, there were many bugs.

At that time many users had "hope" and " faith", but now...

Then it wasn't delayed long enough. First create a healthy basis on which you can build.
New features are great, but they're useless if the overall flow of the game suffers.

Then it wasn't delayed long enough. First create a healthy basis on which you can build.
New features are great, but they're useless if the overall flow of the game suffers.

That is your thought. And you dare to talk "healthy basis"? What about Odyssey? Do you think Odyssey is a healthy basis???? So when can FDev launch Console version?

Last edited:
We've had some public betas, but bugs & design flaws found in them were mostly ignored and thus included in the releases. Or reintroduced later.
Yes, I remember, it seems like Fdev has a big problem listening to community feed back and fixing the bugs they cite.
But who knows, maybe with a small team of beta testers giving them direct feedback, they'll start fixing it, because it's very strange, there doesn't seem to be a team focused on testing the patches, as we often log into the game after a patch and with less than 5 minutes of gameplay we notice bugs, as was the case of the shooting group bug that took at least 3 hotfixes to fix.

In my - very myopic - opinion, I think we (players) ought to be able to test a patch before its release.

As long as bug feedback is listened to and resolutions are applied, of course.

Meh

It's taken me 6 weeks to buy a new car...

Just closed the deal and it will probably take another 2 - 4 weeks to accept delivery

I for one used to read the Forum for updates and other news. Now all is quiet here? Strange that is for me atleast 🤔. Well we have to wait for some info about this silence.
AFAIK the last FDev contact or CM post was Sally on 11th Jan regarding the EDH Patch rollout.... total blackout regarding ED/EDH/EDO since that date (now 11 days).. tho there has been the usual flow of comms, comings & goings for most of the other FDev offerings.... :unsure: I think EDO like a badly behaving child has been sent to sit on the 'naughty step'! 😭

Last edited:
Meh

It's taken me 6 weeks to buy a new car...

Just closed the deal and it will probably take another 2 - 4 weeks to accept delivery
Tell me about it. Ordered a 3 piece suite - it'll be 4 months to actually get it. COVID gets blamed for everything.

Sorry for derail!

There has been comment doing the rounds* that: The Coder/Devs that were closely involved in the creation of the COBRA Engine are long gone and there are few if any Devs remaining that have an indepth knowledge and understanding of COBRA. This gives rise to code implementation that is released into the wild without any inkling of subsequent consequences. Caveat: I am not a coder (just passing on a comment) and have no knowledge if the above is true, but it could go toward explaining the spiralling morass of bug ridden and unoptimised code that has plagued EDO.

* YouTube and Reddit where I've clocked it, may be other locations

Last edited:
Frankly that sounds like people making stuff up for the sake of drama = views.

COBRA didn't come in to existence and then remain the same ever since Elite was launched, it's been iterated on and added to. It's irrelevant whether the originals devs are still around, it hasn't been developed in a vacuum over the past 7-8 years. As an extreme example, you think the original World of Warcraft devs are still around since 2004?

Last edited:
  • David Braben has ordered the entire team to take a few weeks away from programming to get some creativity back (which the game could desperately use).

Or he's ordered a huge chunk of staff to take an undetermined amount of time off once he saw his market cap cut in half...

it´s not really uncommon in software development that coders leave and nobody left can maintain the code properly.
thats why a good documentation is important.

just look at cobol if you want an extreme case, still widely used but not enough programmers.

Top Bottom