Settlement Defence Plans

Hi Folks,

Been looking at various topics and youtube vids concerning trying to find Settlement Defence Plans and still stumped... Tried looking for Irregular Markers 2 scanning hundreds of planets in Anarchy, tried looking for missions where you need to download a settlement defence plan, tried looking for any missions where there is a material reward, even tried sneaking into Military bases to the security download port - no joy.

Does anyone please have a definitive method for finding these? Am totally stumped. Please help

Thanks!

Nope, that's pretty much how you're supposed to get them. They just have a ridiculously low spawn rate.

I don't have a definitive method. In fact, I've found only 5. But, here's how I found them:
  • Irregular Markers 2 with the downed skimmer (3)
    • With this one, I found a lot of Manufacturing Instructions, which was nice
  • Data port in military settlement (2)
I've kind of given up on them, hoping I'll find them randomly. I might start hunting for Irregular Markers again since I need a lot of Manufacturing Instructions

Found a couple in CMD data ports. That's it.

FD are aware of the low spawn rate, and have been for some months. However, a fix is yet to come.

However, the good news is, unless you really really really want that headshot damage mod, you don't need go all the way down that engineer unlock path. Just ignore them. You can get all engineering except headshot damage from other engineers.

And if you can consistently land headshots, you don't need increased headshot damage anyway. NPCs aren't that tough.

Found a couple in CMD data ports. That's it.

FD are aware of the low spawn rate, and have been for some months. However, a fix is yet to come.

However, the good news is, unless you really really really want that headshot damage mod, you don't need go all the way down that engineer unlock path. Just ignore them. You can get all engineering except headshot damage from other engineers.

And if you can consistently land headshots, you don't need increased headshot damage anyway. NPCs aren't that tough.
I don't care about headshot damage - I've just got that OCD-like compulsion to unlock everything. Fortunately, I haven't unlocked all of the Guardian technology, Powerplay modules or ship engineers. I also don't have 100% inventory on ship engineering mats. So, I can go enjoy some other ridiculously long, mind-numbing, bone crushing grind and when I get tired of that, I can hopelessly grind for these.

I got all of mine by looking for missions asking me to steal settlement defense plans from a settlement, which will cause one to spawn every time. Then after downloading, you can abandon the mission and keep the plans.
I don't think I've ever seen a single one of these. Do you know what kind of system they were in?

I'm not sure they are a thing any more. If they exist, they are damn rare.

Of course, like all things engineer related, when you don't need something it will appear everywhere. Its only when you need something it is rare.

Right? Since I unlocked Kit Fowler I find Opinion Polls a lot more frequently. (Actually, I'm sure I don't... it just feels like it. LOL)

I don't think I've ever seen a single one of these. Do you know what kind of system they were in?
I don’t remember but i think I spent a lot of time in the Ququve system but I moved around a bit. Ranking up with factions probably helps too. Another thing I remember being useful was, while waiting for the mission board to flip, i would take other missions for materials I needed and check the settlement terminals for SDP missions as well. Normally returning to the settlement is a pain but, since I wasnt planning to return anyway, I would take them wherever I could find them.

Hi Folks,

Been looking at various topics and youtube vids concerning trying to find Settlement Defence Plans and still stumped... Tried looking for Irregular Markers 2 scanning hundreds of planets in Anarchy, tried looking for missions where you need to download a settlement defence plan, tried looking for any missions where there is a material reward, even tried sneaking into Military bases to the security download port - no joy.

Does anyone please have a definitive method for finding these? Am totally stumped. Please help

Thanks!

Well, yes, but your immursion is not going to like it.

Find Larceny missions asking you to pick up Push or Lazarus (or ?Biochemical Agent?) from a hidden cache
There is a chance you will be sent to the POI with the layout that has the crashed sentry skimmer.
If so, relog the hell outa it - but iirc you need quit to desktop not quit to menu.
As long you dont pick the mission objective, that POI will be there for as long the mission is active.

Definitely not fun, but the drop rate in CMD centers is atrocious

Missions that ask you to download settlement defense plans are good too, but they're a bit lengthy and also not very frequent

I did find 15 of them only by re-logging at Threat 2 Poi with 2 containers and crashed skimmer. Could get one every 10-15 scans. Took few hours, but while at it, got like 50 manufactured instructions.

I think I might saw it once at CMD data port at military settlement, but it is very, very rare. Its like 1% or less chance to spawn.

That being said, I had harder time with getting opinion pools, took lot longer than this. But yeah, once did unlocking kit fowler, it seemed to spawn more often.

HSD is definetly worth, for PVP mainly, it gives huge advantage vs those who aint have it, during direct fire exchange if both using same weapons.
For PVE is very nice too, it more than amazing on kinetics.

Hi Folks,

Just away for a couple of hours and wow great responses - many thanks! The drop rate on SDPs is unreal, its such a pity on waiting for missions where you need to get an SDP and then, instead of completing the mission it gets abandoned but hey, thats a solution I guess. Am going to keep trying on the mad option of continuing to try finding irregular marker 2s. I really hope that Update 11 gets the player barter system running - by that time I will have an incredible number of Manufacturing Instructions to sell!!!

Thanks for the responses

G

Am going to keep trying on the mad option of continuing to try finding irregular marker 2s
Like Elpapo, I grinded 15 of them back when you could still instantly relog at IM 2/3s. I remembered I recently installed EDDiscovery though and apparently I found 20 of them in settlements through "organic" gameplay. In half a year.

Like Elpapo, I grinded 15 of them back when you could still instantly relog at IM 2/3s. I remembered I recently installed EDDiscovery though and apparently I found 20 of them in settlements through "organic" gameplay. In half a year.

yea, but depends alot where you play and what settlement you visit (not all of them are good for this data type or that data type)

yea, but depends alot where you play and what settlement you visit (not all of them are good for this data type or that data type)
Yep, it does, that's why I'm trawling through the logs to see at which settlements I found those.

Total of 20 SDPs found in settlements (while running missions) during the past six months.

Economy - High Tech: 1 / Industrial: 11 / Military: 8
Size - Small: 3 / Medium (+): 4 / Large (++): 13 (seems logical because larger settlements of the aforementioned economies are more likely to contain CMD buildings)
Security - Low: 3 / Medium: 7 / High: 10 (would suggest SDPs are a "higher" tier of data)
Government - Anarchy: 4 / Confederacy: 1 / Communism: 1 / Cooperative: 1 / Corporate: 4 / Democracy: 4 / Dictatorship: 4 / Patronage: 1 (would suggest no strong correlation with government type)

Last edited:
Total of 20 SDPs found in settlements (while running missions) during the past six months.

Economy - High Tech: 1 / Industrial: 11 / Military: 8
Size - Small: 3 / Medium (+): 4 / Large (++): 13 (seems logical because larger settlements of the aforementioned economies are more likely to contain CMD buildings)
Security - Low: 3 / Medium: 7 / High: 10 (would suggest SDPs are a "higher" tier of data)
Government - Anarchy: 4 / Confederacy: 1 / Communism: 1 / Cooperative: 1 / Corporate: 4 / Democracy: 4 / Dictatorship: 4 / Patronage: 1 (would suggest no strong correlation with government type)

So, in summary:
Take missions in Industrial/Military Economies targeting Large settlements with High security.

That is extremely useful information, @Frop. Thanks!

Don't give Fdev what they want, don't help pump their engagement metrics up in a wild goose chase for these intentionally hard to obtain things. Headshot damage isn't worth the time it sucks up trying to get to Uma. A G5 Tormentor 2 shots anything and even a P-15 at G5 will chew thru shields and kill a level-3 NPC in half a mag.

Will I eventually endeavor to unlock Hero > Wellington > Uma in the future? Yes, once they make SDPs easier to obtain. Until then, screw that. I play this game 6 hours a day but I'm using that time to do things I actually ENJOY.

Top Bottom