Settlement Defence Plans

Hey folks - definitely aware of low spawn rates on some mats - for Settlement Defence Plans you should really be looking in Dataports in Security rooms. The settlement difficulty and economy do make a difference to spawn rate but the other things (size / government) don't.
Yes, it did, as I noted in my post. And size does matter in a sense, since smaller settlements might not have a SEC room.
Total of 20 SDPs found in settlements (while running missions) during the past six months.

Economy - High Tech: 1 / Industrial: 11 / Military: 8
Size - Small: 3 / Medium (+): 4 / Large (++): 13 (seems logical because larger settlements of the aforementioned economies are more likely to contain CMD buildings)
Security - Low: 3 / Medium: 7 / High: 10 (would suggest SDPs are a "higher" tier of data)
Government - Anarchy: 4 / Confederacy: 1 / Communism: 1 / Cooperative: 1 / Corporate: 4 / Democracy: 4 / Dictatorship: 4 / Patronage: 1 (would suggest no strong correlation with government type)
Also, I forgot to mention in those six months it took me to "organically" get 20 SDPs, I ran over 1500 on-foot missions according to Inara. Not a great drop rate.

Hmm, might be a longshot here, but perhaps SDP has a higher spawn rate in settlements where you are tasked to download them from?

Like after you downloaded the SDP for the mission then do the supercruise reset thing.
Yes, it looks like it does for components, but that's easier to gauge because they have trade values at the bartender. The same might to apply to data types as I noted in my earlier post.

Viajero

Volunteer Moderator
Hey folks - definitely aware of low spawn rates on some mats - for Settlement Defence Plans you should really be looking in Dataports in Security rooms. The settlement difficulty and economy do make a difference to spawn rate but the other things (size / government) don't.
Hi Zac, it is not just the low spawn rates but their non pressence as rewards in missions. Unless that was intended of course.

I think you're getting your wires crossed. You don't need SDPs to unlock audio masking.

Yarden requires smear campaigns. They aren't exactly common, but not exactly rare either. Found plenty of those in HAB data ports.

Oh, I know what I need (have it written down), I was just making a general point about data being a harsh pinchpoint for some engineer grinds, that needs looking at again. Northpin also mentioned smear campaigns, as someone else did opinion polls.

The only thing Wellington Beck has to offer me is the scope, and I have a better route to that, I think.

I have found 34. 33 are from the crashed skimmer. This is 100% the way to go, especially when you get it as a Salvage mission POI.

SDP also appear from time to time as a target material to retrieve for Procurement missions. I have been slowly but surely gathering those, then cancelling the mission to keep them. Requires patience but if you check the Procurement missions every time you log in to a panel they will eventually appear.

I can confirm. I'm not sure what the missions were, but I two (of the five) SDP's I've found have been mission objectives which I kept and abandoned the missions.

Oh, I know what I need (have it written down), I was just making a general point about data being a harsh pinchpoint for some engineer grinds, that needs looking at again. Northpin also mentioned smear campaigns, as someone else did opinion polls.

The only thing Wellington Beck has to offer me is the scope, and I have a better route to that, I think.

To be fair, I see my list is out of date now. Kit Fowler 'only' wants 10 opinion polls, not 20, so hat doff, Devs.

Honestly, the spawn rates aren't that big of a deal, once you know where to look. Personally, the biggest issue was that I was unable to discover where they spawned, via in-game resources. The same goes for opinion polls; once I knew where to find them, I was able to locate all I needed in just a few hours.

It would be nice if there were some sort of hint system that would help players get a general idea of where they need to go to get some of these very specific items.

Ok ... everybody saying chek POIs ..Irregular markers Thread 2... ok .. how the hell do I find those ? been jumping like an idiot scaning every planet .. none to my avail :(

Ok ... everybody saying chek POIs ..Irregular markers Thread 2... ok .. how the hell do I find those ? been jumping like an idiot scaning every planet .. none to my avail :(

Irregular markers (Threat 1, 2 or 3) are all fine. Actually, Threat 1 are the best, because the NPCs are easier to kill, but whatever you find, use that. My search method was populated systems and only the moons around the gas giants. But ideally you'd want a mission POI, so that you only have to re-log (rather than restart).

I am working on what I think might be a better source. The POI is called 'Minor Wreckage' (no threat) and you can get it from in-ship 'Transportation' missions called 'Liberate Bootleg Liqour', 'Surface recovery of something during Civil War', 'Surface retrieval of something during expansion' or 'Wartime surface recovery of something'.

I don't know what causes the Liberate missions to appear, but obviously the Surface recovery missions are spawned by factions in the state Civil War, Expansion or War.

The advantages of this method are:
  • Because it's a mission POI, you only have to re-log to respawn the data, rather than restart.
  • Horizons missions of this type run for 3 to 6 days. This means you can farm the POI for much longer than the similar Odyssey mission POI (Irregular Markers Threat n).
  • The POI has two crashed skimmer data ports. I believe this means you get twice as much chance of SDPs per re-log.
  • There are never any NPCs to deal with.

The downsides of this method are:

- These missions can take you to different types of POI: Irregular markers, Artificial Structure, Minor Wreckage. You have to visit each planet to find out what POI you will get. If you get a Minor Wreckage, you have to fly down to find out if it is the right type of Minor Wreckage. The type that you want has a wrecked SRV and two crashed skimmers. There are two Minor Wreckage POI types that give you this, but there are probably half a dozen more that don't. If I had to guess, I would say that with average luck you need to visit about 6 POIs to find the right type.

- Sometimes, the data port on one of the skimmers is below the planet surface, and cannot be scanned. So you may find the right POI, but only be able to use one data port.

If you decide to try this approach, when you arrive in a system, use the 'scan the Nav Beacon' method to determine which planet the POI is on. And please let me know how you get on!

This is an example of one of the Minor Wreckage POI types, where the skimmers are either side of the SRV:

1645096981197.png

There is another layout where the skimmers and srv form a triangle, which is slightly quicker to farm.

1645097360195.png

<edit> I should add that skimmers are a great source of other data: Settlement defense plans, Manufacturing Instructions, Maintenance logs, Ballistics data, Surveillance logs, Operational manual and Patrol routes. Particularly useful for Manufacturing Instructions, since you might end up needing those in quite large numbers.

Last edited:
Irregular markers (Threat 1, 2 or 3) are all fine. Actually, Threat 1 are the best, because the NPCs are easier to kill, but whatever you find, use that. My search method was populated systems and only the moons around the gas giants. But ideally you'd want a mission POI, so that you only have to re-log (rather than restart).

I am working on what I think might be a better source. The POI is called 'Minor Wreckage' (no threat) and you can get it from Horizons missions called 'Liberate Bootleg Liqour', 'Surface recovery of something during Civil War', 'Surface retrieval of something during expansion' or 'Wartime surface recovery of something'.

I don't know what causes the Liberate missions to appear, but obviously the Surface recovery missions are spawned by factions in the state Civil War, Expansion or War.

The advantages of this method are:

• Because it's a mission POI, you only have to re-log to respawn the data, rather than restart.
  • Horizons missions of this type run for 3 to 6 days. This means you can farm the POI for much longer than the similar Odyssey mission POI (Irregular Markers Threat n).
  • The POI has two crashed skimmer data ports. I believe this means you get twice as much chance of SDPs per re-log.
  • There are never any NPCs to deal with.

The downsides of this method are:

- These missions can take you to different types of POI: Irregular markers, Artificial Structure, Minor Wreckage. You have to visit each planet to find out what POI you will get. If you get a Minor Wreckage, you have to fly down to find out if it is the right type of Minor Wreckage. The type that you want has a wrecked SRV and two crashed skimmers. There are two Minor Wreckage POI types that give you this, but there are probably half a dozen more that don't. If I had to guess, I would say that with average luck you need to visit about 6 POIs to find the right type.

- Sometimes, the data port on one of the skimmers is below the planet surface, and cannot be scanned. So you may find the right POI, but only be able to use one data port.

If you decide to try this approach, when you arrive in a system, use the 'scan the Nav Beacon' method to determine which planet the POI is on. And please let me know how you get on!

This is an example of one of the Minor Wreckage POI types, where the skimmers are either side of the SRV:

View attachment 291999

There is another layout where the skimmers and srv form a triangle, which is slightly quicker to farm.

View attachment 292000

<edit> I should add that skimmers are a great source of other data: Settlement defense plans, Manufacturing Instructions, Maintenance logs, Ballistics data, Surveillance logs, Operational manual and Patrol routes. Particularly useful for Manufacturing Instructions, since you might end up needing those in quite large numbers.
thank you man ... big respect for feedback will try ...

I had some success with this Minor Wreckage method this evening. I visited two stations and picked up 6 x Wartime surface recovery missions. The first POI I visited was a Minor Wreckage, but the wrong type. The second POI was also a Minor Wreckage, and I was greeted with this lovely sight.

1645138116211.png

It took two hours and five minutes to collect 15 SDPs (but I was a little interrupted, and I reckon it could be done in an hour and a half).

I had some success with this Minor Wreckage method this evening. I visited two stations and picked up 6 x Wartime surface recovery missions. The first POI I visited was a Minor Wreckage, but the wrong type. The second POI was also a Minor Wreckage, and I was greeted with this lovely sight.

View attachment 292086

It took two hours and five minutes to collect 15 SDPs (but I was a little interrupted, and I reckon it could be done in an hour and a half).
Horizons or Odissey ?

Top Bottom