Game Discussions Star Citizen Discussion Thread v12

Quite often the StarCit praise is cloaked in E: D derision, which is unfortunate but quite understandable.
Yes, but the opposite is also true in many instances. Chris is a con artist while Braben is a literal knight worthy of the highest of all praises. Star Citizen is a bug-ridden mess with bad framerates and NPCs that stand on chairs, while Odyssey is "really great, don't listen to the naysayers!" All claims from the same people.

I still have fond memories of taking one of @Agony_Aunt 's rants against Odyssey critics (basically telling people to "let it go") and copying it into this thread to make it say the same thing about Star Citizen critics by just changing a couple of words. The ensuing meltdown was priceless (though Aunt took it in very good spirits, to his credit) ;)

$POT = "Odyssey"; $KETTLE = "Star Citizen";

(Of course I own neither, so don't listen to my mad ravings LOL)

Yes, but the opposite is also true in many instances. Chris is a con artist while Braben is a literal knight worthy of the highest of all praises. Star Citizen is a bug-ridden mess with bad framerates and NPCs that stand on chairs, while Odyssey is "really great, don't listen to the naysayers!" All claims from the same people.

I still have fond memories of taking one of @Agony_Aunt 's rants against Odyssey critics (basically telling people to "let it go") and copying it into this thread to make it say the same thing about Star Citizen critics by just changing a couple of words. The ensuing meltdown was priceless (though Aunt took it in very good spirits, to his credit) ;)

Robbers gas promised heaven and earth. He sold virtual land years ago. The bulk 8f his ovetblown promises havent been delivered. He gets rich on backer money on undelicered sales.

Braben has released games.

Odyssey's failure is peanuts compared to scam citizen. 10 years. Allegedly half a billion dollares. With little to show for - and it's not the 1000 player world, I can tell that.

How is that even comparable? Ever heard of scale? Magnitude?

And yet, if you look at my post history here and on Steam you will seen me also being critical of Odyssey.

The "let it go" you recall was basically people might as well stop banging their heads against the forum because nothing is likely to change how they expect it to.

I'm just here to laugh and take the mickey out of CIG. Maybe i should let that go, but its too much fun!

Viajero

Volunteer Moderator
Lauding SC white knights while deriding ED ones is a strange pastime.

Odyssey's failure is peanuts compared to scam citizen. 10 years. Allegedly half a billion dollares. With little to show for - and it's not the 1000 player world, I can tell that.

How is that even comparable? Ever heard of scale? Magnitude?

For some reason some of those who criticize Elite the hardest can’t conceive of other games that may have significantly more serious issues such as SC, as that would suggest that Elite’s problems may not be as bad after all, and rendering their critics somewhat void. As a reaction those critics try then to shoehorn all those into the exact same level in an attempt to balance the cognitive dissonance.

It is a shame as all that mental gymnastics effort is ultimately really unnecessary. Neither is Elite devoid of justified critiques nor are those comparable to the several orders of magnitude worst issues in SC. All it requires is a bit of proper scale appreciation and a commensurate response for each.

Last edited:
And yet, if you look at my post history here and on Steam you will seen me also being critical of Odyssey.
Yes it was the reaction (not yours, but others) to your repurposed post that made me laugh like a Bond villain.

As for comparing Odyssey to Star Citizen, I think that's natural due to the similarities and overlapping gameplay. For example, do I personally want to visit Odyssey planets or Star Citizen planets? Right now, Star Citizen planets are more interesting to me, based on watching other people play both SC and Oddy. In fact, it's Odyssey's failure (at least in my eyes) that caused me to take another look at Star Citizen. Not that I'm willing to throw money at either ATM. Thankfully at least Star Citizen has a demo period so I can hopefully try it out in about a week. I wish Odyssey offered the same..

Yes it was the reaction (not yours, but others) to your repurposed post that made me laugh like a Bond villain.

As for comparing Odyssey to Star Citizen, I think that's natural due to the similarities and overlapping gameplay. For example, do I personally want to visit Odyssey planets or Star Citizen planets? Right now, Star Citizen planets are more interesting to me, based on watching other people play both SC and Oddy. In fact, it's Odyssey's failure (at least in my eyes) that caused me to take another look at Star Citizen. Not that I'm willing to throw money at either ATM. Thankfully at least Star Citizen has a demo period so I can hopefully try it out in about a week. I wish Odyssey offered the same..
Ci¬G are well aware that their pretty planets and moons are what sell Star Citizen to the spacey minded amongst the free-flyers...and they are rather pretty, there's no denying it. Even as a mostly cynical and jaded backer...there are times when I've dropped onto a moon and just stopped and gazed in wonder at the vistas :)

TSarAWa.png

Last edited:
Ci¬G are well aware that their pretty planets and moons are what sell Star Citizen to the spacey minded amongst the free-flyers...and they are rather pretty, there's no denying it. Even as a mostly cynical and jaded backer...there are times when I've dropped onto a moon and just stopped and gazed in wonder at the vistas :)

TSarAWa.png
I'm also someone who rather have a few "alive" solar systems than billions of "dead" ones. Not that I don't appreciate exploration in Elite, but the whole "Star Citizen has just one solar system while Elite has billions!" argument has always fallen flat for me.

Then there's No Man's Sky which tries to do both, and I don't like that either!

There's a fleet of Scientology ships including a cruise ship called Freewinds, so I would suggest that

Here's the logo for El Ron Hubbads' Sea Org, something awfully familiar about it - can't quite place it...

180px-Sea_Org_logo.svg.png
images
I was moored alongside her a year or two ago. Was interesting seeing the antics ongoing there.

TSarAWa.png

It is a beautiful game, i do a bit of everything and i do all the events, but the most hours i put in is mining and delivering boxed.

Delivering boxes???? Yes, you're moving boxes all around the system, there is nothing stressful about it, that's the point, you're doing something simple and taking in all the beautiful sights, its a great way to bring your heart rate down and de-stress.

I know to some people its a meme "Chris Roberts fEdeLItY" but as a medium for escapism it really matters, its a form of art, CIG understand that and they put a colossal amount of effort in to making the game look at good as it does, at this scale its extremely difficult which is why a lot of large scale games, besides a couple of exemptions, have cartoon like graphics or just not very high quality graphics.

Source: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YAGHkLEbCRI

Last edited:

You're here for the same reason I am. You're just doing it for 2 games rather than 1.

But still ...

thats-bait-no-text.gif

Top Bottom