Update 13, Narrative and Access to 4.0

how "realistic" ED is one easily can see with FD´s design of FC´s!
Supposedly your platform shall lower and slide backwards into parking position (thats what U experience eg. when going to the concourse).
By design of FD thats not possible as the platforms are directly adjacent, hence mechanically would overlap..... or like M-Pad 9 that parking position would be in space.....

View attachment 316446

edit: with M-Stations the same btw.....
Is it really sliding in fleet carriers? If I remember it is not sliding or rotating (which is much better imo)

Is it really sliding in fleet carriers? If I remember it is not sliding or rotating (which is much better imo)
Nope, it is not, just being lowered down and that's it. I've never understood why stations rotate and slide you. It's not like the hangar is built to be reused once you've cleared the shaft.

This is great news! And it is the only option in moving forward with the game. Maintaining two different code bases is a resource eating nightmare. And even if there are a few downsides compared to the "old" Horizons code, it offers so much more options for future development, that it is what is wise to do if the game is to survive for a long time. And I very much hope that it does.

So if we ever want to see further and faster development on that game, one code base is the way to go.
I agree.

This seems like a sensible approach, at least as far as I understand it:
  1. People who are fine with Horizons as is don't need to do anything. They can remain on version 3.8.
  2. People who don't have Odyssey but would like some additional bells and whistles can get Horizons 4.0 for free, which gives them Non-Atmos settlements, four player mulicrew, and the scorpion, among other things.
  3. Players on Horizons 4.0 will be able to provide feedback that can be used for future updates and eventual merger down the road.
  4. None of this will happen until a few weeks after Update 13.
From a development and sales standpoint, this move makes sense to me. It will give Horizons-only players a chance to see if their gaming rig can handle the Odyssey experience, without costing them money. This in turn will allow Horizons players to make up their own mind about whether to commit to an Odyssey purchase, rather than depend on the hyperbole that is often generated here on the forums.

Capture.JPG

Last edited:
Rotation is to make it easier to take off as there is only one airlock. Why do we have rotation at outposts is a question.

You know what would make sense in space and in a mechanism that can rotate after landing on it? If it didn't care what direction you landed on it in (since it can rotate if needed). Yet it does. You have to land on it in a given orientation and trying to land on it in the opposite is "wrong". Why? It can rotate to the what's needed underneath and when ready to launch. There's no reason for the pad itself to care which direction the front of your ship is in relation to the "front" of the pad or "back".

though i think we're going down a rabbit hole nobody is going to be happy with. You dont question what you see in elite dangerous unless you want disappointing reasons. Just tell yourself "gameplay reasons" and then dont ask yourself how this improves gameplay and move on.

Its exploration game play, one has to search for them...they're no longer just being handed to the player on a silver platter...
No disrespect intended but I have never understood this mentality. Vast majority of the player base play for a chill, relaxing gameplay loop. I work hard at...well Work. I don't want to come home and then treat games as work as well. QoL improvements help smooth out gameplay loops. If folks want to approach games as a "maximum challenge, maximum effort" kind of affair them more strength to them, but no need to begrudge QoL or punch down on those of us who prefer less work-like gaming experiences.

Wait a minute: is that by design??

The very few times I've played EDO I noticed bio/geo sites weren't showing on my panel and I simply thought "Oh well, just another Oddity bug".

Now you're telling me that's Working As Intended™? Who-- Wh-What the #$%&@ was FDev thinking?? 🤯

Well, that's yet another reason not to play EDO. :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:
why / what is funny about it?
Perhaps the Emoji(s) didn't convey what you meant?

You can see from the system map or discovery scanner if a planet has geological or biological POIs on it. If you then want to find them, taking 20 seconds to map it with the DSS is hardly "maximum effort".
The annoying thing is, of course, that you have to go back into supercruise above the planet to see the results of the scan again once you've landed for the first one.

Wait a minute: is that by design??

The very few times I've played EDO I noticed bio/geo sites weren't showing on my panel and I simply thought "Oh well, just another Oddity bug".

Now you're telling me that's Working As Intended™? Who-- Wh-What the #$%&@ was FDev thinking?? 🤯

Well, that's yet another reason not to play EDO. :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:
Yeah, they brought back classic eyeballing mechanics.
But hey, maybe this means we'll get the classic ADS back next? XD

Well I guess the point is moot anyway, folks can choose what version of the game they want to play. I think I was trying to make a point at the intransigence of gamers and the gamer tribes they represent, pvpers, pve, sweaties, gankers, greifers, casuals, hardcore, weekenders etc. I try not to begrudge how others consume an entertainment product...not always successfully for sure.

@Kalizandra said:

No disrespect intended
None taken...

but I have never understood this mentality. Vast majority of the player base play for a chill, relaxing gameplay loop.
As do I...

I work hard at...well Work.
Absolutely, so do i...

I don't want to come home and then treat games as work as well.
Neither do I. I have often likened the game to having another job, which I do not need.

QoL improvements help smooth out gameplay loops.
They do and are most welcome.

If folks want to approach games as a "maximum challenge, maximum effort" kind of affair them more strength to them, but no need to begrudge QoL or punch down on those of us who prefer less work-like gaming experiences.
I don't begrudge anyone for anything, except maybe that first ganker I met in his OP Corvette... I firmly believe that we are all allowed to play the game however we would like using the game as it is and in accordance within the Terms of Service.

Some days I love the challenge, other days I just want to relax and mine some LTDs without having to figure anything out...

Its exploration game play, one has to search for them...they're no longer just being handed to the player on a silver platter...

My statement(s) above ^^^ are my take on the reality that is. It appears to me that these are facts... I apologize if they seemed like more than that. I take the game as it is, not what I want it to be. or what it should be, so to speak.

It might be down to politics between Frontier and the console makers. I wouldn't be at all surprise if their a line or two in the contracts that state frontier has to continue to support PS4 version of their game even when it on the PS5 an the two version have to have the same features, at least for a certain period of time.
There might be a small element of that if they released the base game on PS5, that it couldn't be significantly better* than the "last gen" versions, not having major new features, which the PS4 version lacks, however I don't think there'd be a problem if they made Odyssey PS5 only dlc and it included major new features :D ...

*Only having better resolutions, textures and loading times etc

Sony certainly has such rules about first party games, which have to come out on both PS4 and PS5 for the first two years of the PS5s' release at least, however maybe they don't have the same rules for third party devs, letting them "go nuts" on their next gen releases, while only maintaining the playability of any last gen versions :) .

Last edited:
There might be a small element of that if they released the base game on PS5, that it couldn't be significantly better* than the "last gen" versions, not having major new features, which the PS4 version lacks, however I don't think there'd be a problem if they made Odyssey PS5 only dlc and it included major new features :D ...
As I recall a while back there was talk of specific requirements that Odyssey has that the new generation of consoles don't support being a likely reason for them cancelling the console versions altogether.

Hi all,

We have just published the following article to our news page on the website and encourage you to have a read!

Please feel free to leave any thoughts down below and we'll do our best to answer any questions.

O7

As a lifetime pass owner... What's the Azimuth Saga?
Don't feel like I've heard that term before the last week or so.

As a lifetime pass owner... What's the Azimuth Saga?
Don't feel like I've heard that term before the last week or so.

That’s fine with me, don’t care about fps stuff on foot especially because of Fdev’s flat screen in VR mode.
Not excited about any new on foot content
Me neither, will only play EDH - I LMFAO at those streams/Youtube, with 2 hands in front of you going up and down while running in EDO (no-one runs like that!!!) and as for killing unarmed civvies and scanning plants!!!!!!!?????? what?

If I ever DO want FPS in the future (burnt out after COD for 5 years), I will re-run Mass Effect with the Legendary Edition (not played it yet)

Top Bottom