Update 13, Narrative and Access to 4.0

As far as we're aware they kept throwing money at the console versions trying to get Odyssey to work on them, one way or another they fell into sunk cost fallacy. Had they realised Odyssey wasn't going to work on consoles early enough and gone back to the drawing board for the PC version, to develop one they could port over, they'd have had to write off a bunch of what they had spent on development thus far. They didn't want to. So instead they got Odyssey out the door to recoup some losses, kept throwing more money into trying to get it working on consoles in spite of whatever insurmountable problems they faced for the best part of a year before giving up, and had to write the expenditure wasted on all that console development off instead.
Well as said, we saw no evidence that they tried to release the game on next gen systems and still show no intention to, so I don't believe that they did all that they could!

Even IF Odyssey won't work on consoles, they could still release the "base" game on next gen systems, which should have no problem running there, when it works perfectly on last gen consoles :O :D .

The way you was talking before I thought I was gonna see something like 10fps...... But you're doing pretty good considering you are also recording/processing video And in VR.... Pretty sure you will be running 100% in the next 1 or 2 updates.
Thats the image from my 2d screen, captured after the fact by the nivia drivers instant replay. Its also 1280x720 with everything on low or off.
In the headset its much worse but only in odyssey.

Well as said, we saw no evidence that they tried to release the game on next gen systems and still show no intention to, so I don't believe that they did all that they could!

Even IF Odyssey won't work on consoles, they could still release the "base" game on next gen systems, which should have no problem running there, when it works perfectly on last gen consoles :O :D .
They (FDev) did say specifically that it (Odyssey) would NOT come to current gen consoles way, way before they cancelled it on previous gen consoles...

On the new gen consoles it already runs the last gen enhanced version at up to 4k60. There's not really anything they can add to that. Maybe a 1440p toggle for Series S? Probably not worth the expense of getting a whole new Horizons client certified for the new systems.

On the new gen consoles it already runs the last gen enhanced version at up to 4k60. There's not really anything they can add to that.
Maybe - other devs released "native" PS5 versions of existing PS4 games and had quite a few additions and changes...

I guess it comes back to Frontier's sudden "issues" with console development then :_ .

Maybe - other devs released "native" PS5 versions of existing PS4 games and had quite a few additions and changes...

I guess it comes back to Frontier's sudden "issues" with console development then :_ .
So if they were to make a new 3.8 Horizons client for Series X/S, sans-Odyssey, what would they be able to add that's not currently already in the last gen version?

Absolutely as with most new gen versions, it would add the opportunity to raise the resolution of the Series S version. Something limited by using the One S codepath for backcompat. Maybe I guess a 120fps mode would not be out of the question either, that'd be cool.
What other differences are there between the slider maximums on PC and the XBox One X/PS4 Pro version? Could likely max them out I guess.

But there's nothing that can really be used as a basis for more development going forwards, since Frontier are committed to future additions being to Odyssey.

So if they were to make a new 3.8 Horizons client for Series X/S, sans-Odyssey, what would they be able to add that's not currently already in the last gen version?

Absolutely as with most new gen versions, it would add the opportunity to raise the resolution of the Series S version. Something limited by using the One S codepath for backcompat. Maybe I guess a 120fps mode would not be out of the question either, that'd be cool.
What other differences are there between the slider maximums on PC and the XBox One X/PS4 Pro version? Could likely max them out I guess.

But there's nothing that can really be used as a basis for more development going forwards, since Frontier are committed to future additions being to Odyssey.
Well if they add new ships, a more varied Universe etc to the "base" game, we probably won't get them on consoles, as that counts as "development", though if the game were still available and alive and well on next gen systems, there'd be no reason not to add such content to consoles :_ :D .

Edit - For example, the new SRV is already something we're missing out on consoles, which I can see no reason we don't have :_ .

Last edited:
The shard's haven't "gone away", really. They're just more evenly dispersed across the planet instead of being concentrated in specific, targetable locations. And arguably that's much more natural. So you just have to spend a little bit longer driving around. You can still come across large clusters.

I've been out there a couple of times in Odyssey, and didn't really find it a problem. If anything, some of the terrain was more frustrating in Horizons.
Yes, exactly. I prefer the Shards in EDO! You have to look for them now, not POIs anymore buy way better IMO and the terrain is better, for the most part. The terrain in Horizons was pretty bad for most Shards, but in EDO, you have a choice to go and gather Shards in the best location that suits you. Some are really hilly, so just move onto a flatter location. EDO is much better for Shards, indeed!

In this set up, Horizon( Which they merged in to Vanilla for free) remains as the main game, while Odyssey, which was supposed to be a successor to Horizon, becomes the Ugly Duckling.
It feels like they are trying to distance them selve from Odyssey with this move, hence no more on-foot content ( No on-foot Thargoids? No wonder they kept quite about them when people asked over and over).
Why would they add more content to Odyssey, which already got " Hype " sold, and noone will buy it anymore - specially since it doesn't even have VR( which was one of the main saling points of Vanilla version).

Feels like this is the end for Odyssey.
Nice reach, but somehow...

giphy-downsized2.gif

All ye Horizon players, the time is near for that RTX 4090 Ti or Radeon RX 7900 XT purchase. The frames demand it!
It would be cheaper to just subscribe to GeForce Now's 3080 tier membership. You'll get the frames along with the added benefit of being able to play ED on any device you own. - like the Chromebook I am using to write this. You haven't lived until you played EDO on a Chromebook! :D It is truly a time of miracles and wonders....

I've been thinking: seeing how FDev decided that now is the time to merge the two codebases, this can mean:

1) Frontier accomplished a heck of a lot of "optimization" with U13 and we are in for a pleasant surprise

or

2) U13 marks the end of focused optimization efforts because it is as good as it is going to get, so there is no point holding back on the merging of codebases any longer

I suspect the answer will be #2 but I am hoping it is #1.

Is it just me who thinks they did it the wrong way round?

If there is a known/obvious performance/graphics problems prior to release or in any stage of development, then :
1. Do EDO for (whichever has highest player base) current gen console first (either one of PS4/XBox) i.e. get at least a bug free release licensed by Sony/Microsoft.
ONLY THEN port to -
2. The other console
3. rinse repeat for NEXT gen consoles (PS5/Xbox) and then and only THEN port to -
4. PC - as EVERY SINGLE PC build in the world is unique!

NOTE : I am specifying 1. as first and better option for a graphically difficult DLC, not because I am playing on PS4, but because EVERY SINGLE PS4 just WORKS exactly the same, which is not so for PC's.

I've got an i7-4790 + GTX 1070 8GB + 24GB RAM running off an SSD, and I expect 4.0 to be a slideshow.

Increasing the hardware requirements to run the game is not "optimizing" the game. Increasing the graphics load and having a WORSE-looking game + performance degradation is not optimizing it.

Go take your elitist elsewhere - not everyone has the spare cash from mommy & daddy to buy new hardware.
This is my laptop CPU vs yours (had to assume which particular model of cpu you had though). However, I find it tough to believe that you're getting 40-60fps on High settings unless you're playing in 4k or something? I was getting that with a 1050ti Ultra with a 4 core i5.. My laptop is i7 6core/RTX2060/16gb/SSD and usually at 60fps (locked), but can get 144fps+ in space and ~70 onfoot, with dips that bring it lower in known problematic areas. This is on my 1080 laptop screen.

I believe that Odyssey is a bit heavier on the CPU, especially benefiting from more cores, so a CPU upgrade, if possible, may be the thing you need to bring it up from 20fps, as you state.

Nope it's not
And i intend to keep playing my XB account for as long the servers will be up, even tho i will transfer/copy it to PC when transfers will be made available
I didn’t get it why some guys had triple accounts, but it’s everybody’s own decision.

for me one account is enough, hadn’t the time for playing elite on three accounts or how many, one account is enough already.

Congrats to you, that you support them on any plattform, but I can be a fan of the game with just one account, and can be critical. And perhaps it fit not in your world that I’ve been further dissapointed about the dead of console version and that elite will clearly die for everyone who had playing it in long term. Give me answers what should I do? BGS ? When our bgs is separated from the bgs on pc? Get we then inara updated, only for consoles ? Or the simples fact that all fans of elite, change the side to pc to stick with the new content and narrative? Powerplay ? Was all the time only for the hardcore elite players a good thing.

So give me an answer what should a player on consoles do, when every reachable achievement is reached? The only thing was bgs, powerplay and narrative.

Perhaps it would be possible, not to constantly talking flowers about this case and realize, that for the ,,fans,, like you, who spend thousand of hrs in elite, the game will be timefreezed and all the funny stuff which happens on the galaxy you couldn’t take actions because you’re running a stand-alone version, which is out of sight for the development.

It’s a simple fact, elite is after the great promised update 12 and the merge, on console a dead game, no further updates no new content, no new narrative events. I mean when they announced that consoles are being canceled I didn’t think, that they will made up special things extra for consoles. As you and some of your friends told everyone here in the forum, they stated it clear. So stop denying and defending that elite is not dead on console after update 12, this update and merge is the nail in the coffin for the consoles.

Nobody puts the time and effort in to making things really good anymore...just get it out and get paid. Makes business sense, I suppose, but really sucks when something that was good is now broken and they just can't be bothered to fix it. I miss the days when video games were more about vision than profit.
frontier_-_elite_ii_30.png
207552x2645.jpg

I must credit CMDR PROtoKOPs @ inara.cz gallery for my go to shot above, which is a pretty amazing one btw. Credit where credit is due. o7

Last edited:
Top Bottom