Update 13, Narrative and Access to 4.0

I hope so. I'm going to wear my glow-in-the-dark skeleton suit just to make sure all the Horizons players can see me jetpacking around outside their cockpit windows, doing cool waving and pointing emotes that they can't do because they're stuck in their chairs like overstuffed couch potatoes.
Oh, whilst your 'Mr Cool' there is Scanning Plants!!!! OMG!!!

so long as they have "valid" customers on this 3.8 branch, they wont succeed in any of the goals they noted for why they wanted to bring 4.0 to horizons. Like none of them. Because they can't make the narrative only work for some players in different versions of the client.
Sure they can, it's already been done with the original base game and Horizons.

The status quo we're in now remains exactly the same as after this change if 3.8 remains for players. The only upside i can see for this is that you can ease players in horizons into this new codebase and have time to make fixes there before making it mandatory since they may contain large amount of users who never tested in odyssey. But none of the benefits will be seen (for fdev) until everything is on 4.0. Unless they are really prepared to leave 3.8 players behind yet still let them login/purchase the game.
I'm reading this as all narrative after the Azimuth (aka the head alignment saga) conclusion will be focused on 4.0 but will likely also be weighted towards Odyssey content where it seems base 4.0 users may get to witness the events - depending on the scenario, but won't be able to take part in them unless they have Odyssey.

Oh god this is so worrying.
Just tried to play in odyssey in VR, open AX CZ. It was terrible lagging - warping - flickering bad anti alias. Got killed from lag by the Interceptor I presume. but couldnt tell.
If anyone can see a reason appart from lag of why I died please let me know.

Swapped to Horizons all is well, as it should be.

Last edited:
Just tried to play in odyssey in VR, open AX CZ. It was terrible lagging - warping - flickering bad anti alias. Got killed from lag by the Interceptor I presume. but couldnt tell.

I've heard that when somone has a SLF out that can cause this lag , otherwise its possible someone else was the main player and had really bad ping so you saw the LAG from that , looks like the swarm and the interceptor flew right through you .

As I recall a while back there was talk of specific requirements that Odyssey has that the new generation of consoles don't support being a likely reason for them cancelling the console versions altogether.
Well that's still strange because the next gen consoles are still more powerful than many peoples' PCs and they can clearly scale the game to make it playable on lower powered PCs, while many other devs are performing amazing work in "last gen" games, if Frontier can't make their game work on the "next gen" systems :O .

Last edited:
Sure they can, it's already been done with the original base game and Horizons.
Most of the narrative involved space back then with only a few minor aspects actually taking place on the surface and only accessible by reaching the surface. But that's not the same scope being talked about here. Here we have the majority taking place (theoretically) in environments that can't be reached with content and assets that dont exist currently so 3.8 wont be able to participate in such content even if you could reach it. Since 3.8 will be critical bugfixes only and nothing else. As opposed to the base game that was not in a "critical bugfix only" state back in horizons release period.

I'm not saying fdev can't do it, obviously they can do what they want, but they likely wont put themselves in a situation where they're selling games that do not result in the advertised expected experience and so the scenario that's being created has conflicting goals.

Limiting 3.8 to just critical updates conflicts with the goal of selling a product (horizons) in a way that reflects the actual game experience players will have (and some players will be limited to 3.8). Not limiting it to just critical updates conflicts with the goal of reducing cost and streamlining development since it would just retain the status quo of maintaining multiple disparate branches of the game.

I'm reading this as all narrative after the Azimuth (aka the head alignment saga) conclusion will be focused on 4.0 but will likely also be weighted towards Odyssey content where it seems base 4.0 users may get to witness the events - depending on the scenario, but won't be able to take part in them unless they have Odyssey.

there's really two reasons to retain 3.8 as an option.
1. Ease players into the reality that they'll be using the odyssey engine even if they dont buy odyssey. 3.8 is a short term option.
2. They can't continue to sell horizons and make this change without the option because it alters the minimum spec of horizons and that becomes a legal concern. 3.8 is not an option but a necessity so long as people are buying horizons under the existing advertised info.

There's no other reason why it would still exist if the whole point of merging is to reduce costs and streamline development. It's existence prohibits the removal of all the backend server side work that goes into keeping both ever increasingly incompatible engines working against the same backend data. which was a major talking point for the complexity and problems around the launch of odyssey and would be a primary point of concern for reducing development complexity and costs.

I'm not saying fdev can't do it, obviously they can do what they want, but they likely wont put themselves in a situation where they're selling games that do not result in the advertised expected experience and so the scenario that's being created has conflicting goals.
I don't think that's as much of a concern as you seem to be making of it. DLCs come with DLC content, that's nothing new or unique to Elite.

Limiting 3.8 to just critical updates conflicts with the goal of selling a product (horizons) in a way that reflects the actual game experience players will have (and some players will be limited to 3.8). Not limiting it to just critical updates conflicts with the goal of reducing cost and streamlining development since it would just retain the status quo of maintaining multiple disparate branches of the game.
See answer below your reason two, they're pretty much the same point reiterated. Though I will emphasize that I don't see 3.8 getting anything other than critical updates, this is the maintenance mode version of Elite that some have been talking about, I guess!

there's really two reasons to retain 3.8 as an option.
1. Ease players into the reality that they'll be using the odyssey engine even if they dont buy odyssey. 3.8 is a short term option.
I would say this is the single main reason. It's good to have 3.8 as a fall back like it was having the base game to fall back on with Horizons so I think it will stick around, but I imagine the hope is that everyone moves to 4.0, and putting it in front of every PC player is definitely going to help achieve that. The game has to move forward, as all players who want to see Elite succeed would surely agree.

2. They can't continue to sell horizons and make this change without the option because it alters the minimum spec of horizons and that becomes a legal concern. 3.8 is not an option but a necessity so long as people are buying horizons under the existing advertised info.
I don't think that's a concern tbh. You buy the base game and get V3.8 (deprecated) & V4.0 (supported). If you're referring to consoles then that situation will resolve itself as time goes on, Frontier have made it clear that it's a deprecated piece of software. Though if they are planning on keeping it available to purchase, it might not be a bad idea to offer a $5 off voucher towards a PC copy or something. Sell it for $10 on console + PC purchase on sale for $7 with $5 voucher works out about to be a $12 sale in total, and could net more players in the timeframe before the console version becomes irrelevant due to the console market moving on.

The way you was talking before I thought I was gonna see something like 10fps...... But you're doing pretty good considering you are also recording/processing video And in VR.... Pretty sure you will be running 100% in the next 1 or 2 updates.

I don't think that's as much of a concern as you seem to be making of it. DLCs come with DLC content, that's nothing new or unique to Elite.

See answer below your reason two, they're pretty much the same point reiterated. Though I will emphasize that I don't see 3.8 getting anything other than critical updates, this is the maintenance mode version of Elite that some have been talking about, I guess!

I would say this is the single main reason. It's good to have 3.8 as a fall back like it was having the base game to fall back on with Horizons so I think it will stick around, but I imagine the hope is that everyone moves to 4.0, and putting it in front of every PC player is definitely going to help achieve that. The game has to move forward, as all players who want to see Elite succeed would surely agree.

I don't think that's a concern tbh. You buy the base game and get V3.8 (deprecated) & V4.0 (supported). If you're referring to consoles then that situation will resolve itself as time goes on, Frontier have made it clear that it's a deprecated piece of software. Though if they are planning on keeping it available to purchase, it might not be a bad idea to offer a $5 off voucher towards a PC copy or something. Sell it for $10 on console + PC purchase on sale for $7 with $5 voucher works out about to be a $12 sale in total, and could net more players in the timeframe before the console version becomes irrelevant due to the console market moving on.
The console versions wouldn't become "irreveleant" if Frontier continued to give them full support and released the game along with Odyssey on the "next gen" systems! :O .

You can see from the system map or discovery scanner if a planet has geological or biological POIs on it. If you then want to find them, taking 20 seconds to map it with the DSS is hardly "maximum effort".
The annoying thing is, of course, that you have to go back into supercruise above the planet to see the results of the scan again once you've landed for the first one.
I Never remember where I was checking the ground once I have to leave to flip around and come back.... Would be nice if we could upgrade the surface scanner to be able to display a similar readout like the SRV has so you can at least be heading in the right direction without having to leave the planet....

Apparently, if you say it's 'cartoony' that immediately explains and dismisses all comparisons between ED and NMS :)
I get it. NMS would be one Hell of a game is they released a "Realism" update. I get that NMS is cartoony and not for everyone that appreciates the "Realism" of Elite. This is why I stick to Elite for a more "true" space simulation. If NMS did release a graphics overhaul, bringing it inline with more Elite flight mechanics and looks, then... I think there would be at that point as massive exodus of Elite player over to NMS. I don't se this happening though. The nearest we have is Star Citizen, which is fun but their constant server wipes is just frustrating! It's not a viable alternative to Elite. Nothing really is. I will just add that "PERMADEATH" in NMS is about the most "fun" you can have in a space game, IMO. It's awesome! I don't follow the "story" of NMS, there really is none... but man, do I LOVE PD mode! :)

So why, exactly, would anyone buy Odyssey now? Couldn't get people to buy it for all its features, now you think people are going to buy it with half the features or less? That price better drop WAY down. lol

The console versions wouldn't become "irreveleant" if Frontier continued to give them full support and released the game along with Odyssey on the "next gen" systems! :O .
Not happening. They can barely afford to keep up PC development. Why do you think they dumped consoles in the first place? On consoles, every update costs a fee to push through. Console companies also have much higher quality control standards. This means more stress on Braben to make each buggy update comply. Ask CDPR how they liked Sony removing CP2077 from the store for being bug filled. And let's face it, Elite's continued survival depends on people willing to keep playing and buying even when what they bought is bugged/broken for months at a time.

Last edited:
They have been providing full support for the 'old' version of the game for over a year now... running the old game and new game in parallel. Honestly, I don't even know of any other companies that have given so much support to the 'old' (the first couple months was necessary due to Odyssey being buggy, but after that most other companies just move forward).... Not to mention EDH is constantly on sale for $5 and is often free.... besides Arx, I don't even know how they pay the EDH servers selling ED for so cheap. I've seen some of the players $1,500 cockpit setups.... Even FULL EDo was just on sale for $20, are yall serious??? Fdev is giving free base copies to the New version of their game to try to move everyone forward together.... free for any Horizons players.... They will make absolutely Nothing, zero, ziltch, to try to make sure everyone is included...... People talk about new consoles coming up?! fdev have be working Odyssey for at least over 2 years now with the ENTIRE last year giving time for people to transition for the new path.... I don't even understand how people are confused about this, they've been saying all along what and why they are doing what they are doing.... (this is not personal to you tanner... this is coming from me reading 20+ pages of people crapping on fdev while seeing they've been keeping all players together as long as possible)

Well that's still strange because the next gen consoles are still more powerful than many peoples' PCs and they can clearly scale the game to make it playable on lower powered PCs, while many other devs are performing amazing work in "last gen" games, if Frontier can't make their game work on the "next gen" systems :O .
As I recall it came down to some people noticing certain AVX instructions that the PC version of the Odyssey branch of the Cobra engine uses which lack support on both the last and new gen consoles, which it was speculated were the reason Frontier took so long to announce the cancellation of the console versions as they tried to find workarounds.

I wonder what the point of having Horizons 4.0 in that list, since it's just Odyssey with some restrictions. It would make more sense to just have Odyssey OR Horizons 4.0 along with Horizons 3.8.
Game keys required. Different ones for actual ODY than Horizons and how the client knows what features you have access to.

Like with old vanilla and horizons I guess.

As far as we're aware they kept throwing money at the console versions trying to get Odyssey to work on them, one way or another they fell into sunk cost fallacy. Had they realised Odyssey wasn't going to work on consoles early enough and gone back to the drawing board for the PC version, to develop one they could port over, they'd have had to write off a bunch of what they had spent on development thus far. They didn't want to. So instead they got Odyssey out the door to recoup some losses, kept throwing more money into trying to get it working on consoles in spite of whatever insurmountable problems they faced for the best part of a year before giving up, and had to write the expenditure wasted on all that console development off instead.

As I recall it came down to some people noticing certain AVX instructions that the PC version of the Odyssey branch of the Cobra engine uses which lack support on both the last and new gen consoles, which it was speculated were the reason Frontier took so long to announce the cancellation of the console versions as they tried to find workarounds.
Any idea what they do and could they be added to the consoles firmware in the future?

While again individual PCs can be very different with very different hardware and software, but they've no trouble making it work for them, yet they can't do so for the very set and known three next gen consoles! :O .

(If anybody's thinking, "three?!", the PS5 and two versions of the Xbox series X :D .)

Top Bottom