Update 13, Narrative and Access to 4.0

travelling on the surface is certainly a thing that elite added. But that in of itself is not gameplay. It's a stage to create gameplay. What can you do while walking and driving? which brings us to ..

Yes, this is new. it's also only found on a infinitely small fraction of the planets in the game. And only on a tiny localized fraction on the surfaces of those planets where it can be found at all.

I think that goes along with the above. Your interactions with npcs are either killing them or not killing them. You're not making friends, you're not building a relationship with any. The interactions you have here are no different than the interactions you have with space ship npcs. Also, exists on almost 0% of systems in game.

This is not additional gameplay. This is driving around and shooting rocks or looking at non-interactive things at the behest of a mission giver instead of doing it yourself. The game doesn't care either way nor is there a distinction in the activity the player experiences when doing it via mission or not. Also, exists on nearly 0% of systems in game.

i addressed shooting rocks and running them over as one of the standout differences between frontier and elite dangerous a couple posts after the one you quoted here.

I noted this as well, however i wouldn't call staring at a non-interactive model gameplay any different than just randomly driving around and looking at a mountain or hill or canyon. The game doesn't care either way and it involves the same activity except one can be converted into credits.

You mean staring at the terrain ? To what end is this gameplay? Does it allow you to trigger a mining expedition from nearby corporations ? Does it lead to expansion into prime real estate for building bases ? Are you able to leverage this exploration for your own personal gain? no. this is imaginary ...not gameplay. And that's sad because there's certainly lots of potential where this could have actually been gameplay.

You covered that in settlement missions and walking around in settlements. The game doesn't really care about the distinction between what you're doing here vs any other settlement. However alien settlements do generally include puzzle gameplay which is unique to them. So we can count that. At least on the handful of planets out of the hundreds of billions the game gives us.

that existed in previous elite games. You dont necessarily get the little mini-game that occurs during it, but the mechanic existed if not in frontier than in elite 1984.

these are locations ...not new gameplay activies or loops. The caveat to that is CZ's where you join a side is probably new to elite.

the "bgs" in the old games may have been more primitive but i'd still say it existed much to the same effect that it does now except maybe without the faction shuffling around. There was still procedural system states and missions that related to those states and faction relations and basic economy modelling.

You could mine asteroids in the old elite games. Shooting a rock is shooting a rock, is it not? Just reading the description and it's hard to not be able to apply the same instructions to elite dangerous

Now granted, there are 3 additional options than just shooting the roid to mine it in elite dangerous. 2 involve shooting different speed projectiles at a given spot and 1 involves doing that + a mini game. So there is that. However these additional or alternative actions just result in acquiring a commodity that ultimately is just converted to credits with no distinction between it and any other commodity you would sell. Why? Why build something new on top of the old just to castrate it by immediately dumping it into the existing old process so that it immediately becomes the same game play as quickly as possible? weird.

in regards to extraction sites : same activities and game loops, just different locales. The locale changes dont really matter in elite dangerous because the game doesn't care where you do something. there's nothing about what you do in these locations that will make any difference compared to doing the same thing somewhere else. it's the same game loop and same activity.

bounty hunting ..not sure if that existed like it does in elite in previous games, but really this is just a concentration of npcs to kill instead of killing them only during interdictions or missions. The gameplay is the same regardless and differs very little from combat zones. The activity of combat between the old games and elite dangerous is basically the same. ED did not add things like communicating with the enemy to trigger behavioral changes or persistent history for vendettas or an adaptive npc difficulty response to scale the game to player's skill and actions. It doesn't do anything like that. it's shoot and forget, rinse and repeat the same way the old games were.

in the old game you could fuel scoop gas giants. Something you can't do in elite dangerous. Both could scoop stars. Elite dangerous actually downgrades this feature.

travelling around and looking at the planets existed in the old game too. You might not have needed to shoot them to read the stats, but i wouldn't call that much of an innovation worth mentioning

this is something unique for sure, but how is it any different than looking at a moon? is it leveraged in the game as a means of hiding things from some interested party ? Does it do anything for you gameplay wise other than act as eye candy? no. This includes the space hearts and crystalline spikes and other handful of things that are there but are effectively dont offer any kind of new gameplay and exist for aesthetic purposes only.
Don't forget espionage missions in Frontier or First Encounters, where you had to take images of bases etc.
I would argue that would class as additional gameplay

From what I can make out the plan is to move everyone onto a single code base (4.0). Those who have Odyssey will have access to everything, while those still on Horizons will have certain things 'disabled' at certain 'choke points', such as not having a 'disembark' option from either their ship or SRV and not being able to land or plot a taxi to an atmospheric planet settlement (Edit: as they can never disembark, they'll never be able to book a taxi, so that's a moot point). Otherwise both 'versions' will essentially be the same, down to previously Odyssey only content such as the Scorpion, which will be offered to Horizon players either as a sign of good faith or because they can't easily disable access to those new features.
They announced single code base months ago now.
The real news in this announcement, is that Frontier it self downgraded their biggest ever content, to " Optional ".
This is huge. They basically rewrote all their future plans for the game. It send a message that they are giving up on the on-foot content, because it's now " Optional ".
This also could be read as an official confirmation that they will never add Ship Interiors beyond FC.
This is the end of an era for all the Odyssey fans.

The real news in this announcement, is that Frontier it self downgraded their biggest ever content, to " Optional ".
This is huge. They basically rewrote all their future plans for the game. It send a message that they are giving up on the on-foot content, because it's now " Optional ".
This also could be read as an official confirmation that they will never add Ship Interiors beyond FC.
lol what in the name of the wee man are you talking about.

as impressive as that looks in screenshot form. There's the same amount of gameplay implemented in each view. I'd have appreciated some innovation in what you're actually supposed to do with all that pretty landscape and space. Rather than just the same thing you did with it in the 1st image. But i guess you can't expect that much improvement in 30 years. Maybe Elite Next Gen will focus on the gameplay mechanics.

I am probably missing the context here, and admittedly I didn’t play Frontier, but just at a glance here is a quick list of gameplay implemented in the elements shown in the right screenshot (planets, space, gas giant and star etc) that I believe you couldn’t do on the left one.

(as I said I may be wrong in some as I did not play Frontier so feel free to correct me):
  • Walking on foot in first person or land vehicles on planetary surfaces
  • First person or SRV combat on surfaces
  • First person planetary NPC and AI including in settlement missions or looting
  • Planetary POI and related missions outside settlements
  • Planetary prospection and material gathering from a piloted land vehicle
  • Planetary biological exploration
  • Planetary geological formation exploration
  • Alien ruins exploration and related gameplay
  • Space interdiction mechanics
  • Space signal sources and combat zones
  • Mission system integrated into a dynamic background simulator
  • Mining asteroids in all its ED variants
  • Asteroid ring extraction sites and related bounty hunting
  • Refueling mechanics in stars < FE2 had this
  • Celestial bodies exploration scanning, probing and related mechanics
  • Space anomalies and Lagrange clouds exploration
Etc

Just to name but a few.
I would add to that list:
  • HOTAS support
  • Virtual Reality
  • Six Degrees of Freedom
  • Stealth gameplay on foot
  • Virtual Reality
  • A positively stellar intrasystem flight model
  • Intrasystem trading
  • Have I mentioned Virtual Reality???

Things that FE2 has that EDO still doesn't:
  • Being able to land on all planets with surface, including Earthlikes
  • Being able to enter the atmospheres of gas giants, including scooping fuel from them
  • Better criminal gameplay
  • Being able to negotiate for better terms and more information on all missions
  • Being able to mine the surface of planets
  • Full Newtonian Physics, including no upper speed limits
In all honesty, though, I only miss the first three. I really wish the Dev Team hadn't made quite a few of the choices they did regarding ED, especially kneecapping their Economic Simulation, but that's another matter entirely. :)

edit: Forgot this was a FE2 thing as well, which I do miss
Don't forget espionage missions in Frontier or First Encounters, where you had to take images of bases etc.
I would argue that would class as additional gameplay

Last edited:
Not so. The Horizons 4.0 update is to reunify the universe for cmdrs who have chosen not to buy Ody DLC, and to simplify their maintenance of the game.
Odyssey is still a thing. It's not been abandoned. I'm no great fan of Ody FPS but that's a different topic)
FDev have said no ship interiors, but for other reasons.

Please, take a deep breath calm down and read this:

Odyssey IS optional. It always had been, because it's a DLC. You have to buy it extra.
FDev are certainly NOT abandoning it. They're actually making its planet graphics and some features available to the Horizons players. The original Horizons content will still be available to everyone, Odyssey owners or not, as it is now. All will be a launch option, same as now.
You don't have to worry about this, only for the unforeseeable bugs that crawl into each patch, but this is business as usual.
And this change will take place AFTER p13, not next Tuesday.

If you don't understand or don't want to believe this, I give up.
I sincerely hope you're not trolling.

Never let wishful thinking cloud your judgment. Odyssey is just as optional as Horizons was when the base game had no planetary landings, no holo-me, no engineering etc. Now Horizons is the base game, and the original base game is gone. This has been Frontier's mode of operation all along: DLCs are optional until they get rolled into the base game.

Oh, and the official confirmation that ship interiors won't be added was given months ago. None of this is new or "huge". Ship interiors without gameplay get boring quick, and fleet carrier interiors actually proved that.

Please, take a deep breath calm down and read this:

Odyssey IS optional. It always had been, because it's a DLC. You have to buy it extra.
FDev are certainly NOT abandoning it. They're actually making its planet graphics and some features available to the Horizons players. The original Horizons content will still be available to everyone, Odyssey owners or not, as it is now. All will be a launch option, same as now.
You don't have to worry about this, only for the unforeseeable bugs that crawl into each patch, but this is business as usual.
And this change will take place AFTER p13, not next Tuesday.

If you don't understand or don't want to believe this, I give up.
I sincerely hope you're not trolling.
Here is what you don't understand.
Odyssey came with 2 things: New planet Rendring and On-Foot content.
From the start they said New Planet rendering will be ported to Horizons for free. - So that leaves Odyssey with on-foot content.

Over the next year, they added a lot of content to On-foot Content. ( new missions, SRV, FC Interior).
Over the same year, they also announced no VR, no Odyssey for Console.
Update 13 comes and they downgrade it to " Optional " - How? Clear example, remove exclusive content( SRV) from Odyssey and give it to Horizon. That's a downgrade. Why would they do it? Because they see that they can't get much from Odyssey sales now, so no point in beating the dead horse any further.

Now they never promised on-foot Thargoids. So in light of failed Odyssey DLC, they don't need to deliver it, cause they never promissed.
So question is - what is left for On-foot content for Odyssey? There is nothing new left to add.
So that's it, Odyssey is done, and Frontier is moving on. Unless you can point out when and what on-foot content they promised to deliver in the future. Come on, do it. I'll sit here and wait.:coffee:

Update 13 comes and they downgrade it to " Optional "
Isn't any content, sold as a DLC, considered "optional"?
You are aware that, if one is not a LEP holder, one has to purchase the Odyssey expansion before being abl to play it?

All Frontier have done is confirm that 4.0 will contain the content offered when it was first mentioned, prior to the Odyssey release. (but have given access to the Scorpion SRV, which is only present on the 4.0 client)

So question is - what is left for On-foot content for Odyssey? There is nothing new left to add.

:coffee:

EVA, exploration of abandoned megaships, planets with denser atmosphere and water/clouds, proper life forms, I mean if you are trying to argue that there is no other content that can be added for on foot players then you're pushing it a bit. When did this turn into a dooooooom thread? That's three this week right?

Here is what you don't understand.
Odyssey came with 2 things: New planet Rendring and On-Foot content.
From the start they said New Planet rendering will be ported to Horizons for free. - So that leaves Odyssey with on-foot content.

Over the next year, they added a lot of content to On-foot Content. ( new missions, SRV, FC Interior).
Over the same year, they also announced no VR, no Odyssey for Console.
Update 13 comes and they downgrade it to " Optional " - How? Clear example, remove exclusive content( SRV) from Odyssey and give it to Horizon. That's a downgrade. Why would they do it? Because they see that they can't get much from Odyssey sales now, so no point in beating the dead horse any further.

Now they never promised on-foot Thargoids. So in light of failed Odyssey DLC, they don't need to deliver it, cause they never promissed.
So that's it, Odyssey is done, and Frontier is moving on. Unless you can point out when and what on-foot content they promised to deliver in the future. Come on, do it. I'll sit here and wait.:coffee:
As I said, I give up. Good luck with your interpretation, cmdr.

o7

Isn't any content, sold as a DLC, considered "optional"?
You are aware that, if one is not a LEP holder, one has to purchase the Odyssey expansion before being abl to play it?

All Frontier have done is confirm that 4.0 will contain the content offered when it was first mentioned, prior to the Odyssey release. (but have given access to the Scorpion SRV, which is only present on the 4.0 client)
There was a lot more to add to it, from EVA to Ship Boarding from the early future plans from newletters - none of whitch have been confirmed when On-foot content came.
A year later and it's silence.
EVA, exploration of abandoned megaships, proper life forms, I mean if you are trying to argue that there is no other content that can be added for on foot players then you're pushing it a bit. When did this turn into a dooooooom thread? That's three this week right?
"planets with denser atmosphere and water/clouds" - that is also part of Horizon 4.0 - that's not on-foot content.
EVA - has only been mentioned many years ago, and never again repeared as possible future content in recent years.
Never heard of abandon megaship even in their early newsletters. I think you are mixing current narrative conslusion expectation with your own wishes.

But as always, I want to make sure that it is understood that this video originally appeared in the Kickstarter as a description of future paid expansions. For some reason, some people forget to include that important context.
Ah yes, and according to star guy that makes it optional or something 🤷‍♀️

Edit: Main (slightly sensible) point is that from day zero fdev had ideas for feet - the idea that because Odyssey isn't mandatory then they won't do more is ludicrous. And very funny :D

That was from 10 years ago. Wishes as we have seen over the last 10 years, not always become reality.
Btw they also promised to support this game for 10 years. So it's game over, as the time is almost runing out, and they are not obligated to support it beyond 10 year mark period. And as you have seen their Roadmap for the9 month , not much will be added to the game.

Top Bottom