Drinking fountains

My problem with vending machines is that it is a very commercialized concept. In a real zoo from my experience the water are free. Forcing guests to pay for water is a very greedy and theme park like idea, not something you'd expect in a zoo.
My local zoo has a few venting machines scattered in the far reaches of the zoo so you don't have to backtrack to the little restaurant they have.
I think one or two drinking fountains too if I remember right.

I'm all for this idea. Thirst is the one need guests constantly complain about and vending machines are not realistically around every corner. Plus, as stated, they can be annoying to place.

I'm all for this idea. Thirst is the one need guests constantly complain about and vending machines are not realistically around every corner. Plus, as stated, they can be annoying to place.
Yep. The game pretty much expects a vending machine by every enclosure, and if you only put 1 the guests complain about lines. Thirst should be reduced a bit.

Damn I miss Edinburgh Zoo. When I was living in Perth I went there like six times over the course of a year. Their pandas were just so perfect.
I was going to say that it must have been exhausting making so many long trips from Australia to UK in a year, but then I thought that there could be a city in Scotland named Perth too and bingo, that's it 😂

Edinburgh zoo is great - I missed the pandas when I was there in 2019 - I think the enclosure was being built (just down from the zebras?). My, then, one-year-old hadn’t been to a proper zoo yet, since we lived in Tasmania, which has none. Now it’s his favourite thing to do (and now we live somewhere with proper zoos). On topic, though, free water - either fountains or refill stations are also common in zoos (and parks etc) because they are better from an environmental POV…

Last edited:
Funny, how this discussion shows me how greedy germany is. We only get bottled water here (or from the sink, which, in a toilet in a german zoo is... well...) and that bottled water costs a fortune. One Restaurant in Zoo Hannover had water (even sparkling water) with one pay and free refills and that felt so generous...

I'm not against water fountains in the game of course, just saying that for us germans it will be so natural to use them as it is using weird pzza wending machines.
I remember almost dying in Gondwana (tropical hall in Zoo Leipzig), because they had no water anywhere and if I remember correctly not even a chance to buy drinks. I was sure I'd pass out. Made it to the exit somehow, but it was almost a traumatic expirience. (The Zoo and Leipzig was in general, the ableism was.... shocking to say the least.)

Funny, how this discussion shows me how greedy germany is. We only get bottled water here (or from the sink, which, in a toilet in a german zoo is... well...) and that bottled water costs a fortune. One Restaurant in Zoo Hannover had water (even sparkling water) with one pay and free refills and that felt so generous...

I'm not against water fountains in the game of course, just saying that for us germans it will be so natural to use them as it is using weird pzza wending machines.
I remember almost dying in Gondwana (tropical hall in Zoo Leipzig), because they had no water anywhere and if I remember correctly not even a chance to buy drinks. I was sure I'd pass out. Made it to the exit somehow, but it was almost a traumatic expirience. (The Zoo and Leipzig was in general, the ableism was.... shocking to say the least.)
It also has to do woth climate. The colder it is the less people drink. In Israel an adult would drink ~3 liter in a day of walkibg around the zoo, a child ~1.5 liter. If you'd charge for water for a day for a family of 4 you'd get at least 6 wasted plastic bottles and the family would spend ~60₪ just on water (that's roughly 20$). People would be outraged.

We were charged 2€ in our hotel restaurant in Berlin for tap water!

The pandas have been there for a few years now - I was visiting them back in 2015. They were just near the entrance IIRC, but back then you had to get a separate ticket to see them. One day we went and it was raining, so nobody was there, and we sat and watched a panda eat for about two hours. It was fantastic!
They have had two enclosures, the first one was near a building site outside the zoo and part of the planning consent was the funding of the new enclosure on the other side of the zoo.

They have had two enclosures, the first one was near a building site outside the zoo and part of the planning consent was the funding of the new enclosure on the other side of the zoo.
Really? I remember the enclosures they were in being pretty 'permanent'. They were landscaped and everything. Didn't know they'd moved them.

Edit: Well what do you know, they have moved them. News to me!

Top Bottom