Drinking fountains

Funny, how this discussion shows me how greedy germany is. We only get bottled water here (or from the sink, which, in a toilet in a german zoo is... well...) and that bottled water costs a fortune. One Restaurant in Zoo Hannover had water (even sparkling water) with one pay and free refills and that felt so generous...

I'm not against water fountains in the game of course, just saying that for us germans it will be so natural to use them as it is using weird pzza wending machines.
I remember almost dying in Gondwana (tropical hall in Zoo Leipzig), because they had no water anywhere and if I remember correctly not even a chance to buy drinks. I was sure I'd pass out. Made it to the exit somehow, but it was almost a traumatic expirience. (The Zoo and Leipzig was in general, the ableism was.... shocking to say the least.)
Same here in Belgium. You will never see a water fountain in a zoo. You have to buy water bottles.

I don't think I've ever seen a drinking fountain in my life. I always thought about them unhygienistic when I spotted them in TV or something.

Drinking fountains seem like a practical no brainer at this point.
I hate having the vending machines in odd locations just to keep guests happy, the mechanics have a hard enough time getting to them
I think the fountains should function similar to the vending machines as they don’t do as much for guests as food stalls.
Also did PC and JWE get water fountains?

My problem with vending machines is that it is a very commercialized concept. In a real zoo from my experience the water are free. Forcing guests to pay for water is a very greedy and theme park like idea, not something you'd expect in a zoo.
In the US, zoos (and amusement parks/fairs/etc) often specifically do not provide free water to force you to buy their (marked up) bottled water. If you can bring your own container (and your allowed to bring it into the park), you can fill it in the bathroom sinks, but capitalism rules in some parts of the world and they use the fact you'll be spending a hours or a day in their restricted location to force you to buy water.

Some states/local jurisdictions force them to provide some access to free water and so there will be a single water fill station at the entrance/main food area. Otherwise - you wanna not die of dehydration? Pay up.

Gamewise - I could see fountains being more like the bathrooms. You place 'em down, there's a simple line up at the fountain animation and it provides a small thirst bonus.

Top Bottom