The Planetary Circumnavigation Club

I'm not sure what you mean by "time travel" in this context? I played my sessions more or less the same time in real life (not considering what time it might be in game), but the day/night situations in the game varied, although I have a feeling I had more night-time sessions than day-time sessions. Also, the planet had a quite close and fast orbit, so to me it seems natural, that there were varied lighting situations.

And indeed, the terrain also varied quite a lot, with much of it being non-full-speed-compatible.
"Did you time your sessions to have day or night cycles or just play when opportunity arose" - but you answered the question.
Once I went up a mountain and saw the day/night terminator and wondered if you can actually see it move, probably needs a fast moving planet for that, like Mitterand Hollow.

It took me a while longer than I hoped for, but now I finally got to a DSSA carrier and could sell my data and get my mark on the circumnavigation system (among others).
So, for my part I'm ready to provide any info I can, and it would be nice to get a mention to the original post's list of circumnavigations, if possible.

The system was Hypoe Bloae XX-U C5-2 in the Outer Arm, and the planet circumnavigated was its planet B 1:
1690669788849.png

Below (in the spoiler section) are my "official proof pictures", screenshots from roughly 30 degrees apart during the journey:
1690670739464.png

1690670751616.png

1690670764582.png

1690670776750.png

1690670786564.png

1690670796323.png

1690670806712.png

1690670816388.png

1690670828271.png

Okay... this only allows me to attach ten files apparently, so the couple last photos will be in the next post.

Yamaha's Grave in Achenar system done. I chose this planet because of prestige - it is the nearest landfallable planet next to the Imperial capital.

Planet radius: 861 km (circumference: 5409 km)
Planet gravity: 0.11 g
Number of attempts: 3 (2 failed, 1 successful)
Start date: 2023-07-02, End date: 2023-07-29
Game sessions: 53
Duration: 70 hours 41 minutes

More information (+evidence screenshots) can be found from here:

Retrospective: I think the Planetary Circumnavigation Club was a great idea. It makes actual use of all this empty land and encourages one to enjoy the scenery in the meanwhile. It's emergent gameplay at its best, and technically it's also never a grind because terrain and parameters, depending on planet, keep changing constantly. So double thumbs up and thank you very much for this opportunity CMDR Alec Turner!

I also decided to upload all of my 53 recorded game sessions related to this "quest", into Youtube. The videos are quite large, so it will still take days from me to upload them all. However, should you want to peek at how I did it, or take potshots at my SRV driving, here is the playlist: https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLLWJ2w2KwkHnZ4NPMaRq-XFWC31gts63F

o7

Addendum: I had also video recorded my entire operation, in 70 different videos, usually about 30-60 minutes long.
These videos should be accessible for download here:
Google Drive Share link

Very boring to watch, but if someone wants, go ahead :)

They probably won't be available behind that link forever, so if you're interested, grab them while you can! ;)

Massive congratulations again to both @Suni and @ariaxum on your respective achievements! You should both now have received your EDSM Planetary CIrcumnavigation achievment badges and I've also finally got around to adding both of your circumnavigations to the tables and detailed log's in the OP of this forum thread (could you please check your respective entries to make sure I've got the details correct and have also chosen representative images that you approve of).

I've seen this thread a few times and always fancied a go. I have an alt account copied over from PS4 that's been languishing 50-odd thousand ly away whilst I've been doing other stuff for the last 2 1/2 years on this account. So, after convincing a friend to create an alt, engineer a Phantom and join me out in the deep black which has reinvigorated the old account (Caelum's brother Stellas ;) ), I've decided to have a crack at a circumnavigation on a little potato in a system previously visited, but never scanned properly so I'm calling this tiny moon my own (at least it will be when I hand data in in a few months...) Anyway, system is Hachao HA-A D2 and the body is B1A. Radius is 182km, gravity 0.05g and has silicate vapour geysers which I will try and not crash into, much.

Attachments

• Circumnav System map.jpg
    Circumnav System map.jpg
    507.9 KB · Views: 46
  • Circumnav landed.jpg
    Circumnav landed.jpg
    520.9 KB · Views: 54
  • Circumnav about to set off.jpg
    Circumnav about to set off.jpg
    696.6 KB · Views: 274
  • Circumnav here we go.jpg
    Circumnav here we go.jpg
    793.8 KB · Views: 49
  • Circumnav session 1 end.jpg
    Circumnav session 1 end.jpg
    860.6 KB · Views: 47
  • Circumnav session 2 start.jpg
    Circumnav session 2 start.jpg
    547.1 KB · Views: 49
  • Circumnav session 2 end.jpg
    Circumnav session 2 end.jpg
    738.4 KB · Views: 44
Massive congratulations again to both @Suni and @ariaxum on your respective achievements! You should both now have received your EDSM Planetary CIrcumnavigation achievment badges and I've also finally got around to adding both of your circumnavigations to the tables and detailed log's in the OP of this forum thread (could you please check your respective entries to make sure I've got the details correct and have also chosen representative images that you approve of).
Thank you @Alec Turner ! I checked the entry for my operation and it is all fine and correct as far as I can tell!

I also read Ariaxum's rule set, which was indeed a nice read. I had not considered my rules as formally, but would have filled most of those.
Some thoughts / comparison to my "unwritten rules":
  • I was way out in the black so points about settlements or other players were moot for me.
  • (Partly due to the above and partly anyway) I had permadeath also, in that if I had died, I would have re-spawned a very far distance away, so it would have been highly unlikely for me to come back to the same location to continue the circumnavigation (plus I would probably have been annoyed enough to not re-attempt anyway).
  • Since my planet did not seem to have refuel materials (Phosporus & Sulphur) I was a bit concerned whether my materials suffice the trip. They did eventually with a large margin, but if they would have run out, then I probably would have recalled my ship, flown somewhere else to collect more of the mats, and then returned back to the same coordinates to continue the circumnavigation. Fortunately this was not necessary.
  • I also would not use any automation, in this I perhaps was even more strict, ensuring all driving was done "hands-on".
  • For the route, I followed as close as I could a circular route around the whole planet, so the idea of returning from the nadir via a decidedly different-than-opposite path was something I didn't consider. I had no degree-based offset calculation, but tried to deviate as little as possible.
  • Like mentioned earlier in the chain, for the driving, I had an additional "limitation" of not using "flyving" or other intentionally-airborne methods of movement, apart from trying to improve survival chances in accident-induced high jumps or rolls.

A couple of good sessions this evening. I also clocked up the fastest flyving speed I've ever achieved in the second session. Over 210m/s :)

Edit: Poop. Just noticed I incorrectly saved and attached the end of session 2 instead of the start of session 3 below. I'll have to have a dig for it when I get in from work. Hopefully I've not inadvertently deleted it.

Also, quick maths, with a radius of 184km, each degree roughly works out at around 3.2km. For the last session I covered 62.2deg in 1:06:23. Not blisteringly fast by any stretch of the imagination, but it works out at an average of a smidge under 50m/s, which taking into account I obviously wasn't always pointing absolutely at 270deg along 0.000, means I'll have covered more km than a straight line and my average will definitely be above 50m/s or 112mph. Good job there are no traffic cops on this little moon.

Attachments

• Circumnav session 3 start.jpg
    Circumnav session 3 start.jpg
    738.4 KB · Views: 54
  • Circumnav session 3 end.jpg
    Circumnav session 3 end.jpg
    693.7 KB · Views: 42
  • Circumnav session 4 start.jpg
    Circumnav session 4 start.jpg
    730.7 KB · Views: 37
  • Circumnav session 4 end.jpg
    Circumnav session 4 end.jpg
    721.2 KB · Views: 48
  • wooooossshhh.jpg
    wooooossshhh.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 53
Last edited:
Done!

This has been an amazing experience. In some parts really zen when control of direction, bounce, boost all seemed to chain together perfectly, until the lack of skill suddenly brought me back down with a bump (literally), and usually upside down, going backwards a few metres off the ground, at over 100mph.

I believe that someone with way better skills than me could do this circumnavigation in half the time, but overall I'm proud to have completed it and made it back to my ship, SRV intact (just), especially given it's my only one and I'm a very long way from the nearest DSSA carrier to replace it.

Yeah. Right on CMDRs. o7.

Edit: Total circumference distance approximately 1156km ish from the radius, but it was far from spherical so likely less. Given my average speed across all the runs (roughly 42m/s) I'd guess it may have been closer to 1000km in practice. Total time taken approximately 6h 34m

Attachments

• Circumnav session 5 start.jpg
    Circumnav session 5 start.jpg
    724.7 KB · Views: 43
  • Circumnav session 5 end.jpg
    Circumnav session 5 end.jpg
    800.9 KB · Views: 39
  • Circumnav session 6 start.jpg
    Circumnav session 6 start.jpg
    627.4 KB · Views: 47
  • Circumnav session 6 end.jpg
    Circumnav session 6 end.jpg
    503.2 KB · Views: 33
Last edited:
Done!

This has been an amazing experience. In some parts really zen when control of direction, bounce, boost all seemed to chain together perfectly, until the lack of skill suddenly brought me back down with a bump (literally), and usually upside down, going backwards a few metres off the ground, at over 100mph.

I believe that someone with way better skills than me could do this circumnavigation in half the time, but overall I'm proud to have completed it and made it back to my ship, SRV intact (just), especially given it's my only one and I'm a very long way from the nearest DSSA carrier to replace it.

Edit: Total circumference distance approximately 1156km ish from the radius, but it was far from spherical so likely less. Given my average speed across all the runs (roughly 42m/s) I'd guess it may have been closer to 1000km in practice. Total time taken approximately 6h 34m
Wow, fast! Nice job o7. I generally limit myself to 100m/s on circumnavigations for survivability so to go 220m/s and live to tell the tale is no mean feat. Congratulations ... I'll try to sort out your EDSM badge and entry in the OP later today.

Thanks Alec. Haha, I er, didn't really consider that going that fast might end up with a rapid unscheduled disassembly until I saw the ground hurtling towards me, and I think I actually shut my eyes for a second. Needless to say, many materials were used in the repair of the SRV over the duration of the run. I tended to start getting concerned when I reached about 40% hull, and once dipped just below 10% which was quickly followed with panic filled stabs of various buttons on the HOTAS until I managed to repair just before hitting the ground again. If I do another I'll take your wise advice and try to keep below 100m/s, which to be fair isn't that hard for me to do as there are no wheels on the roof of the SRV to keep momentum going and I tended to be bouncing off it rather more than I'd hoped. :)

Thanks for the feedback regarding my rules! I found it necessary to define the video parts because the game doesn't seem to provide comprehensive enough logging that would be impossible to tamper with (so API outputs won't qualify, unless seen in real time as they are generated) and I wanted to try and come up with 100% waterproof evidence of my run mostly for my own personal entertainment.

It could be a good opportunity for Frontier to help enable the game's various creative "sports" modes at the cost of what should be a mostly text-based implementation by providing more variable logging points to the ship/SRV internal console, e.g. when was the last time CMDR embarked or disembarked from anything, at which coordinates, and so forth. Just wishful thinking! 🙂

Done!

Congratulations again - your circumnavigation has now been added to the club's official records in post #1 of this forum thread.

Top Bottom