Frontier Unlocked #1 | Wednesday 31 January 2024

Sorry...Yank, here. 🙋‍♂️ I laughed so hard at just how British the "Yes" in this post was. No one else does this like you guys. It's an apology, acknowledgement, and a condescending jab all at the same time. Brilliant.

Thanks for the news, Paul. Sad to see it, honestly, as it signals to me that Elite is nearing its end. But we all knew that was coming eventually, didn't we?
I don't think they'd put out a live stream to say the game is ending etc that would be a long dull forum post. This is actually positive news like I said in my post I hope the 12 month troubles at Frontier signal good news and re-focus on Elite Dangerous and we'll see things updated more often and more content.

Thanks for the news, Paul. Sad to see it, honestly, as it signals to me that Elite is nearing its end. But we all knew that was coming eventually, didn't we?
They literally stated a few posts earlier that they will talk about 2024 and a lot of things upcoming, so how do you manage to arrive at such a faulty conclusion???

OT: getting news from other games too is something i am finding interesting. -for me WF/40K (auld world) is a hobby.

As a great man once said in a dry British accent:
4a0570765ef5fc20b9c96be9ea1844ab95c969ca.gif

This livestream is all about positive news, a shiny stream rebrand doesn't really work for doom.
You underestimate the ability of the Hellmouth to attract Doomons.
buffystake.gif

They literally stated a few posts earlier that they will talk about 2024 and a lot of things upcoming, so how do you manage to arrive at such a faulty conclusion???
A) It's not a "faulty conclusion." The game is nearing its end. It's been around almost a decade. It was pitched with a ten year life cycle. It is demonstrably nearer its end than its beginning. I take no glee in that as I've been playing it for most of that time.

2) I don't assume that the game is ending tomorrow. The choice to move away from a title-specific stream to a broader, brand-inclusive stream, speaks to me of a financial and focus decision. If Elite was still trending and bringing in revenue, still hot, the title specific livestream would have carried on. With so many CM's leaving (either from FDev or to other titles) and the title's popularity waning, it makes sense to fold it into a more broad stream.

III) I'm not arguing on the internet with a stranger about a video game. Fly aimless, CMDR. o7

A) It's not a "faulty conclusion." The game is nearing its end. It's been around almost a decade. It was pitched with a ten year life cycle. It is demonstrably nearer its end than its beginning. I take no glee in that as I've been playing it for most of that time.

2) I don't assume that the game is ending tomorrow. The choice to move away from a title-specific stream to a broader, brand-inclusive stream, speaks to me of a financial and focus decision. If Elite was still trending and bringing in revenue, still hot, the title specific livestream would have carried on. With so many CM's leaving (either from FDev or to other titles) and the title's popularity waning, it makes sense to fold it into a more broad stream.

III) I'm not arguing on the internet with a stranger about a video game. Fly aimless, CMDR. o7
1) Getting news about the coming year and then saying it is near it's end is a conclusion and faulty until proven otherwise.
(yes entropy is not what it used to be and all that; i played since 2015 too)

2) They would not streamline if it was not in order to keep things going.

3) You kinda did already, and i always fly with a goal. :D

o7 CMDR

Last edited:
I love how this new exciting pan-Frontier thread has immediately filled up with ED doomsayers who clearly haven't even read any of the half-dozen threads in their own section of the forum, with Paul participating in those threads too. Y'all spend too much time in the black, Commanders? o7
I think after many letdowns over the past 8 years ( and that was with a full team) , I have set my expectations to an acceptable level of disappointment .

Ok ok... This is all kind of worded weird now that we have PZ Console Context.. When the post says "Tune in Wednesday 31st January at 18:00 UTC for the very first Frontier Unlocked livestream! We'll have exciting details on TWO upcoming games, as well as a sneak peek at what’s in store throughout 2024. Does that now mean, yes, PZ Console & Daemon Hunters Console are two upcoming games?🥴 I was under the assumption something like actually New was going to be announced as in, a game we've been working on no-one knows about yet? 😅😕

Ok ok... This is all kind of worded weird now that we have PZ Console Context.. When the post says "Tune in Wednesday 31st January at 18:00 UTC for the very first Frontier Unlocked livestream! We'll have exciting details on TWO upcoming games, as well as a sneak peek at what’s in store throughout 2024. Does that now mean, yes, PZ Console & Daemon Hunters Console are two upcoming games?🥴 I was under the assumption something like actually New was going to be announced as in, a game we've been working on no-one knows about yet? 😅😕
Yeah, my thoughts as well and the realisation just hit. That's the definition of disappointing, if that's the case. I personally wouldn't call console ports "upcomming games", but in Frontier-ish that might actually be the case.

I love how this new exciting pan-Frontier thread has immediately filled up with ED doomsayers who clearly haven't even read any of the half-dozen threads in their own section of the forum, with Paul participating in those threads too. Y'all spend too much time in the black, Commanders? o7

Excited doomsayers count? 😂

(btw, not exactly a doomsayer here, just someone with realistic expectations about a game's lifecycle - a game that suffered a constant streak of noticeable budgetary cuts starting with December 2021)

Ozric

Volunteer Moderator

Yeah, my thoughts as well and the realisation just hit. That's the definition of disappointing, if that's the case. I personally wouldn't call console ports "upcomming games", but in Frontier-ish that might actually be the case.

Paul posted this in the other thread, so I think it's a safe assumption.

Greetings fellow carbon based lifeforms!

As promised, here is an overview of the order of games being discussed in the stream tomorrow:

• Intro
  • Planet Zoo: Console Edition
  • Warhammer 40,000: Chaos Gate - Daemonhunters: Console Edition
  • Elite Dangerous

I can't share exact timings because that would require insinuating that time is a linear constant and not an ever flowing river that reconstitutes itself to the whims of someone talking too long to explain something...Like this sentence.

Important things to note, there will be competitions and Twitch Drops as well as lots of juicy information so I would recommend tuning in for the whole thing so you can avoid missing out on anything shiny.

Stream starts at 18:00 UTC on www.twitch.tv/frontier so be sure to tune in!

I believe that Frontier's next brand new game isn't until the next financial year, so it's a bit early to be announcing that.

I hope we see some gameplay for Zoo on console, I'm ready to pre order the ultimate edition but would be nice to see atleast some gameplay.

Still remember the awesome streams Chante and Lloyd did before coaster launched on console!

I'm just happy about the starting time. Finally a stream that I don't have to watch with an offset of -30 minutes after coming home from work.

Top Bottom