Frontier Unlocked #1 | Wednesday 31 January 2024

Yes.
We're still running through our timings so we can't confirm that just yet.
Sorry...Yank, here. 🙋‍♂️ I laughed so hard at just how British the "Yes" in this post was. No one else does this like you guys. It's an apology, acknowledgement, and a condescending jab all at the same time. Brilliant.

Thanks for the news, Paul. Sad to see it, honestly, as it signals to me that Elite is nearing its end. But we all knew that was coming eventually, didn't we?

Honestly, the live streaming format does a very poor job of communicating Frontier news for me and this change won't help. I live in a time zone where the Twitch stream occurs during work hours so I usually miss the streams. When I am able to jump in, it is with the phone on mute and just playing in the background for Twitch drops as I work. I have no idea what's being discussed and am not able to participate in any meaning way.
Me too. Usually I don't bother watching it on my phone though, I remote one of my computers at home and get it watching the stream so I can get the drops. Then later in the day I can watch it for real.

Paul_Crowther

Senior Community Manager
Frontier
Thanks for the news, Paul. Sad to see it, honestly, as it signals to me that Elite is nearing its end. But we all knew that was coming eventually, didn't we?
As a great man once said in a dry British accent:
4a0570765ef5fc20b9c96be9ea1844ab95c969ca.gif

This livestream is all about positive news, a shiny stream rebrand doesn't really work for doom.

Quaero

Banned
Is anyone else a lil worried Flimley hasn't offered their typical celebratory response yet?

This seems worthy 'hooray'

Is anyone else a lil worried Flimley hasn't offered their typical celebratory response yet?

This seems worthy 'hooray'
Pick one:...
Hello @Darkfyre99, I always admire and respect your carefully thought-out replies. Your comments are always worth reading! Unfortunately, I cost you valuable time as I quoted the wrong reply from @Navigare Necesse Est... which was aimed as a response to telepresence derp. Ugh, never mind. Apologies.

I'm not emotionally attached to this game any longer to really care.
Over the years, Frontier (for me) have released too many duff updates over good ones, some as which as follows:

1. My first baffled state of mind was the release of Powerplay back in the day. I couldn't for the life of me understand why this occurred; no one asked, wanted, or even could have conceived of this as a release? Not to mention the absolutely repetitive, soul-destroying, boring gameplay it offers. .....I tried; it's utter tedium of the highest order.
  2. Then came CQC, honestly, what a load of complete mindless crap. It really felt aimed at kids, a quick battle arcade game. Again, absolutely no one asked for or wanted this. It wasn't even connected to the main game; it could have been included in a much cleverer way.
  3. Telepresence kind of broke that exclusive immersion for me. It also completely breaks the laws of known physics, badly. As Elite Dangerous is known for being largely based on "a pillar of science", meh. The words of Adam woods.
  4. Update 2.3 was so bad it made the game almost unplayable for me due to bugs. This is something I've never voiced an opinion about until now. That update also coincided with a long drought of updates for some time. I think Frontier was too busy empire-building and knocking out as many games as possible around this time.
  5. One great update was made to mining, which introduced other ways to extract goodies from asteroids. So one had to think about which type of mining and what kind of setup was appropriate. If I recall correctly, this was a time when Elite Dangerous was seeing a considerable uptick in player numbers. Until mining was adjusted by Frontier to be only averagely profitable, and hot spots were also adjusted, crushing the two very things that drive player numbers.
  6. Exploration... not even going to mention the time wasting twiddling replacement for the ADS. But rather focus on the planets. Horizons release was amazing. The new tenuous atmosphere, extremely nice. But since Dr Ross's departure and Frontier stating nothing will be added to planet terrain. I view this arena dead. But for the love of all that is holy please give us some more biology to discover.
  7. Every single time Frontier states how exciting the next update will be or how "this has never been done, seen" in-game. But... no, they have cried wolf too many times for me.

Anyway I could continue. But feel frontier have ultimately tailored this game unsuccessfully towards chasing a more teen market, which includes the now defunked mass icon interface for consoles. (I still find this deeply unintuitive as western society is trained to read over identity icons). Which is completely fine, except, the game is now only fully playable on PC with the demographic placed around 25-50+.
all said it's still an incredible space game with supremely enormous potential. I'm not a person who looks negatively upon things, it's simply not in my nature. But whatever I just can't be bothered anymore frankly.

I am Flimley

Introducing Frontier Unlocked!
A brand newly named and consolidated monthly livestream. Where you get to watch 2 hours of babble in exchange for <1 minute of "possible" information regarding the updates for your choosen game.

it's going to be great. \o/

Flimley

Without fail the Elite commmunity has always over exagerrated things. When there's hints of something new they always assume it's going to be MASSIVE and when FD are quiet for a while they assume it's DOOM (and I'm including myself in that). Personally I'm looking forward to a nice little catch-up livestream, totally see the wisdom in streamlining down to a single livestream covering all the games in these times of economic belt tightening (and hi to all the folks here outside of Elite by the way, nice to meet ya), and am looking forward to hearing any news about Elite that suggests future development and/or support is being planned beyond update 18.

If Flimley's not 100% feeling it then I'll say it ...

Hooray for everything! :)

As a great man once said in a dry British accent:
4a0570765ef5fc20b9c96be9ea1844ab95c969ca.gif

This livestream is all about positive news, a shiny stream rebrand doesn't really work for doom.
Well played, although I have absolutely no idea who that man is. 🤷‍♂️

Hardly "doom" as I'm sure it's trademarked 'round these parts and I haven't got the credits.

Hoping with the difficult year for Frontier they've decided to throw more at their main games such as Elite and we'll see things start to speed up again in terms of updates and development not played in about 6 months.

Top Bottom