(Opinion) Fdev has messed up exploration

No I don’t think the game is doomed or anything like that. This is just my opinion and I’m sure many will disagree with me.

After traveling more than 250k light years during DW2 and, then heading around the galaxy to the Formidine Rift, in my opinion Fdev has totally wrecked exploration. There is almost nothing to find and the new discovery scanner just makes it a grind. All the planets look the same e.g almost all the ice worlds are solid white with the same hurricane looking clouds, all the HMC worlds are the same shades of brown and orange etc. each jump you have to throttle down and look at a chart that resembles a heart monitor printout. Then if you want to actually look at anything you have to waste time and play zoom simulator to see the same old thing. There is zero skill involved and basically they have managed to turn exploration into a grind.

There is also almost nothing to find. After 250k lys Ive found a single unexpected biological POI. I’ve found zero lagrange clouds or stellar POIs. All the biological POIs look the same and are just copy paste.

The new lighting system has messed up nebulas. Before landing on the dark side of a planet in a nebula was cool. The sky was brightly lit in vivid colors from all the starlight lighting up the nebula. Now, except for bright blue nebula, they just look faded and drab so there is no reason to visit them anymore. Also landing on planets above or below the galaxy used to be awesome, now it’s nothing special.

After DW2 I don’t see any reason to leave the bubble until the next update. Hopefully they will at least bring back the ADS so we are not always forced to use that awful zoom simulator when you just want a quick glance of what’s in the system.

I'm completely confident that this thread isn't going to become another fifty-page FSS argument.

(For what it's worth, I explore because I like looking at things, and what I find interesting to look at might not be what you find interesting to look at - in which case, no, it's probably not for you.)

Hey OP - I guess you aren't aware there is already an anti-FSS thread. And that fdev have alraedy said it's staying.

Hello Commanders,

I wanted to drop in and let you that we have been reading your comments and are aware how some of you feel about the FSS.

When first designing the FSS, we wanted to ensure that it was engaging for as many different player types as possible, but also understood that it would not be possible to design a system that would work for everyone. Before the FSS was implemented, we also collected feedback from discussions on the forum and the beta.

Today, in its current iteration, we’re happy with how the FSS operates and feel that reinstating the ADS would be detrimental to the experience of exploration as it is now.

At the current time, we won’t be making changes to the core of the FSS. While we understand that this may be disappointing for some of you, we would like to thank you for taking the time to share your thoughts and feedback with us.

As for 'copy paste' - I suggest you lookup 'procgen' or 'procedural generation'- they didn't copy & paste most of the sites, it's far more technical ;)

Op,you are pvp-ier?right?Leave exploration to professionals,as explorers cant mess with your amazing combat abilities...

The ice planets could be so much better. Every time I visit some, I think about what FD were going to do .... now we have to wait ..... and wait ....

I've passed so many potentially fantastic opportunities ..... let's hope they are breathtaking next time around.

Hey OP - I guess you aren't aware there is already an anti-FSS thread. And that fdev have alraedy said it's staying.

As for 'copy paste' - I suggest you lookup 'procgen' or 'procedural generation'- they didn't copy & paste most of the sites, it's far more technical ;)

Their copy and paste response doesn’t mean we will just go away. We complain enough and they will act, they usually do.

First of all, thank you for not only write about FSS. That I do not agree with you on. But the rest, content of exploration being lacking, that I agree with. Not that it is ruined per se, as we have more to find than before, but I'd sure love to have more.

Of all the things wrong with exploration, you pick on the cosmetics.
It's WAY more wrong than you can imagine. But then you thought DW2 was exploration, so not that surprised.

First of all, thank you for not only write about FSS. That I do not agree with you on. But the rest, content of exploration being lacking, that I agree with. Not that it is ruined per se, as we have more to find than before, but I'd sure love to have more.

If there was actually content and stuff to find I’d have no issues with the FSS. There could be so many cool things like comets, recent impacts, soon-to-be impacts, actual volcanic eruptions and procedurally generated life etc. Now it’s just a way to get your name tagged on something.

No I don’t think the game is doomed or anything like that. This is just my opinion and I’m sure many will disagree with me.

After traveling more than 250k light years during DW2 and, then heading around the galaxy to the Formidine Rift, in my opinion Fdev has totally wrecked exploration. There is almost nothing to find and the new discovery scanner just makes it a grind. All the planets look the same e.g almost all the ice worlds are solid white with the same hurricane looking clouds, all the HMC worlds are the same shades of brown and orange etc. each jump you have to throttle down and look at a chart that resembles a heart monitor printout. Then if you want to actually look at anything you have to waste time and play zoom simulator to see the same old thing. There is zero skill involved and basically they have managed to turn exploration into a grind.

There is also almost nothing to find. After 250k lys Ive found a single unexpected biological POI. I’ve found zero lagrange clouds or stellar POIs. All the biological POIs look the same and are just copy paste.

The new lighting system has messed up nebulas. Before landing on the dark side of a planet in a nebula was cool. The sky was brightly lit in vivid colors from all the starlight lighting up the nebula. Now, except for bright blue nebula, they just look faded and drab so there is no reason to visit them anymore. Also landing on planets above or below the galaxy used to be awesome, now it’s nothing special.

After DW2 I don’t see any reason to leave the bubble until the next update. Hopefully they will at least bring back the ADS so we are not always forced to use that awful zoom simulator when you just want a quick glance of what’s in the system.

I would like there to be more to find. As we do not have access to atmospheric planets FDev's options are limited.
It would be extremely unrealistic if there was alien stuff all over the place.

I would love to see some huge mysterious alien artifacts floating in space, or more weird stuff down on planets, or perhaps some kind of ancient Dyson sphere.
Or we might encounter some unknown ships that move away at high speed as we try to close in.
Not everything has to be explained. Some encounters could be mysterious and left without an explanation.
More astronomical phenomena would be cool too.

What the game really needs is some added exploratory/scientific gameplay.
Why not add a scientific lab module to the game and the option to hire a science officer.
We might then take samples of living matter, and rock and soil etc. and analyze them in our lab and earn extra bucks when we sell data to scientific stations.
FDev could then also add a science SRV to collect planetary samples, and a Ship Launched Science (SLS) vessel to take samples from stuff floating in space.

Deleted member 38366

D
Frankly, if they could at least be bothered to fix the darn Codex....

Just today, 4 NSPs... and guess what, the content fails to scan into the Codex.
That's not helping with motivation... Hundreds of thousands of LY traveled, exceedingly few NSPs - and then the very few ones are even bugged. That's a serious NoGo.
What little is there must work properly, no room for such ultra-frustrating bugs.

Top Bottom