exploration minigame 6 months later

I came across a system with 92 bodies: the previous visitor had not only scanned everything, but also mapped everything too ... all 92 !

He either likes the FSS a lot, or is completely burned out now :D
That is extreme. I have come across a system closer to the bubble that had about 30 odd landable planets. I plan to go back there and map the system.

Yeah, 21st century tech would be too OP for the game to be playable, honestly, given the sci-fi stuff that's in it already. Not saying that's necessarily a bad thing. Just kind of funny to think about.
Lol, years of this argument in the context of a 400-600m/s speed cap, cannons, missiles,l and lasers with a 3km max range, computer controlled gimbals and turrets that miss, space ships made of impenetrable styrofoam, indestructible structures, space stations with millions of people and 40 parking spots, systems of tens of billions of people and 3 space stations, supercruise in those systems with 12 ships an hr passing through, ...the FSS is what’s unreasonable/unfitting/unbelievable to you?

You find it distasteful, that’s a fine opinion, but claiming THIS feature is the one that doesn’t fit in the 34th century or breaks the sim or the other garbled “i don’t like it so I’m going to pretend it doesn’t make sense enough for Elite so should be changed” arguments. Please, every aspect of the game is arbitrary and ridiculous when put under any scrutiny.

Anyway, it’s better than honk, cruise and wait IMO.

Lol, years of this argument in the context of a 400-600m/s speed cap, cannons, missiles,l and lasers with a 3km max range, computer controlled gimbals and turrets that miss, space ships made of impenetrable styrofoam, indestructible structures, space stations with millions of people and 40 parking spots, systems of tens of billions of people and 3 space stations, supercruise in those systems with 12 ships an hr passing through, ...the FSS is what’s unreasonable/unfitting/unbelievable to you?

You find it distasteful, that’s a fine opinion, but claiming THIS feature is the one that doesn’t fit in the 34th century or breaks the sim or the other garbled “i don’t like it so I’m going to pretend it doesn’t make sense enough for Elite so should be changed” arguments. Please, every aspect of the game is arbitrary and ridiculous when put under any scrutiny.

Anyway, it’s better than honk, cruise and wait IMO.
Was wondering what you were on about for a while there. Maybe you quoted the wrong post? But anyway, no, the FSS is bad because its imposed game-play is bad, so its poor functionality (after the honk) isn't excusable.

Last edited:
Because in the 34th century, instead of your very advanced onboard computer doing the scanning and processing for you, you have to use what is the equivalent of a digital sextant instead. But then the computer has a galaxy map and can plot jumps for you!!

:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:
What's even more weird is that in the 34th century everyone at once decided to explore the galaxy outside the "bubble".

When these threads pop up, I always wonder if people have forgotten how bad the old exploration actually was!

It was so incredibly boring, I barely bothered to stop to surface scan anything. And surface scanning just consisted of looking at a planet you can barely see for an arbitrary amount of time.
You could "explore" an entire system without ever actually seeing anything. It was almost entirely all BVR.
And it would take a very very long time, coupled with supercruise acceleration out of gravity wells.
And I clearly wasn't the only one.
Most of the already-visited systems I found outside the bubble, only had he valuable planets scanned, and the rest were left.

Now I get to see every single planet I scan, and go and probe the planets that I deem worth it.

The only thing I would change in the FSS is the zero throttle requirement.

When these threads pop up, I always wonder if people have forgotten how bad the old exploration actually was!

I found it to be less boring. The sight of interesting or rare system configurations once in a while was a nice distraction from jump-honking along. Now I get that much less often and have to go through the FSS mini-game first.

I'll do that once in a while as well, but I don't prefer it, and the odds of finding cool systems is greatly reduced because of it.

For these reasons, I prefer the term "space vagabond" over "explorer" for myself these days.

A rather nice video of the bad old days I happened across...

Last edited:
People are disliking it and here i still haven't figured out how new FSS works (too lazy), after reading this thread i think its better to leave it be ;)

Well, some just don't bother. In any case, if you want to see more variety go to the original annoucements, there are many who started to ask questions worried this might happen.
I read every 'interesting' gripe thread since it arrived, and read the same old names in each... Amazingly few 'original' posters after the first few...

What's even more weird is that in the 34th century everyone at once decided to explore the galaxy outside the "bubble".
Not really. The old drive tech meant spending an entire week to jump your maximum range. Assuming an arbitrary 20ly range, you'd be dead of old age before you reached Beagle Point. It was only at the start of 34th century when every ship in private hands had access to the FSD and jumps taking seconds regardless of range that exploration became possible.

Proof that when a thread pops up again and again, it means that at least a significant number of the playerbase doesn't like a certain mechanic in a game.
If it was fine, nothing would pop up. I don't think this guy is part of the so called "same 5 players who keep bringing stuff up"

:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

People post way more to complain than they do to praise. Just because we have a handful of complainers, hell, even a couple dozen complainers, doesn't mean there isn't a larger amount of people who are perfectly fine with it.

Also, FDev know how many people actively use this feature and how long they use it. So, if your belief is correct, perhaps they will change it again (I highly doubt it).

Top Bottom