[VIDEO] Obsidian Ant: The Importance of Atmospheric Worlds

Viajero

Volunteer Moderator
It’s a bit like the Space Race. During the Apollo program, the thought was that we’d keep going to the Moon, then send humans to Mars, all in the 20th century. Then Nixon came along and slashed the budget and here we are now in 2019 scrambling to get back to 1969 again.

Small OT: Well, to be fair, Nixon had a tiny little war in his hands to budget for :p

At the current rate of development, we’ll probably see atmospherics by 2025, and they’ll be unplayably buggy for at least a year.

A lot of people assume that the landfall planets/moons we have now in ED are somehow an impressive technical achievement on FDev’s part, but they’re just RNG spherical heightmaps with AOE movement and heat generation debuffs applied, plus some more RNG surface sprinklings. That’s all. The difference between that and a decent RNG atmospheric world is massive, especially for Earth-likes.

I’m not sure FDev is really up to the task. Hopefully the “New Era” will showcase a new level of skill on their part.

Look what Hello Games have managed with just 12/13 staff.. Sure their planets are a bit cartoony, but it's clear that's because they were reaching for the sort of 60's fluorescent pulpy sci-fi magazine look.

If a team of 12 can manage it, I think the dozen or so (snide conjecture ;-) ) developers still working on ED should be able to manage something given they've hardly updated anything major in a year.

Look what Hello Games have managed with just 12/13 staff.. Sure their planets are a bit cartoony, but it's clear that's because they were reaching for the sort of 60's fluorescent pulpy sci-fi magazine look.

If a team of 12 can manage it, I think the dozen or so (snide conjecture ;-) ) developers still working on ED should be able to manage something given they've hardly updated anything major in a year.
I tried NMS, but the planets were insultingly tiny. I think that difference in scale adds immensely to the complexity. The more land area you have, the more diversity you expect, especially in a semi-realistic setting as in ED.

Plus, the NMS flight model is hot garbage, but that’s not for this thread.

He was when the first moon landing and the space program budget was slashed after that.
Correct. In addition to scrubbing Apollo 18-20, he had also previously canceled the MOL program that would’ve given the US the first space station.

If we get Legs and Atmospheric Worlds I will definitely change my opinion about FDEV. That would be a big surprise.
I do think that FDEV is working both but not at the same pace. Remember The Holo-me creator was worked the same way as Planetary landings if i remember correctly.

Viajero

Volunteer Moderator
Just pointin out that the war and the moon programme were underway before his time. The war budget might have skyrocketed tho.
This is now way off topic :) we should create a new thread!

And yes indeed, the Vietnam war budget had already skyrocketed before Nixon took office actually (over half a million troops when Lindon Johnson left) and the situation was by and large quite unsustainable already. He spent most of his mandate trying to make those budgets return to more realistic figures, both space program and war among other, in order to be able to spend more elsewhere.The fact the moon landing was such a momentous milestone paradoxically gave him some breathing space to reduce the budget (landing on the moon is quite hard to top!).

Last edited:
Just in 3D.

i see you didn't get it. :) that's 'just' a world of a difference, but ... 🤷‍♂️

anyway, back to speculation: a world with the level of detail of nms indeed looks a decade away at frontier's pace. but atmo flight doesn't necessarily imply fully populated terrain. a few more geographic features (and some basic 'vegetation' if you wish) plus some new flight mechanic in different types of atmosphere would do the trick. if only ...

They want to construct the worlds as scientifically correct approximations as possible.

The distribution of 'the continuous thing' of the universe is like this in metamatics : 1 = 1.618... (i.e. asteroid hits are distributed in sizes of the golden ratio, as do any distance distributions that is not hierarchically fractal fragmented: user input : gradually back to oblivion (1:1.168...))

But the principles of basic fluid mechanics in motion is much more complex and require 4+ dimensional thinking. It can not be designed, but must be procedural and continuous over math space. The distribution and meta morphology of the structural integrity must be an intrinsic property of their universe.

But not only that: It must match our reality as well as possible.

It takes time and serious effort compared to plain fantasy simulation.

They want to construct the worlds as scientifically correct approximations as possible.

The distribution of 'the continuous thing' of the universe is like this in metamatics : 1 = 1.618... (i.e. asteroid hits are distributed in sizes of the golden ratio, as do any distance distributions that is not hierarchically fractal fragmented: user input : gradually back to oblivion (1:1.168...))

But the principles of basic fluid mechanics in motion is much more complex and require 4+ dimensional thinking. It can not be designed, but must be procedural and continuous over math space. The distribution and meta morphology of the structural integrity must be an intrinsic property of their universe.

But not only that: It must match our reality as well as possible.

It takes time and serious effort compared to plain fantasy simulation.
Exactly, as I said few pages back, Atmo Worlds are very subjective. Some people is really interested in the realism and someone else don't care tohat much. I think FDEV vision is focused on the realism, but if this takes too much time and effort to be achieved they should accept some compromise and introduce optimizations at a later stage (if possible without the need of regenerating the galaxy of course).

Last edited:

Deleted member 182079

D
My opinion is that at this stage, I'd take anything in terms of atmospherics, however basic it is.

FDev could focus on gas giants and barren atmo planets (those pretty high metal worlds for example) and leave ELW/WW's for later. That'd be progress and I'd be happy with the ability to explore a much larger chunk of currently blocked off parts of the galaxy. Certainly would keep me going until the more detailed/complex stuff is ready (if ever).

Top Bottom