Keybindings (maybe make them stick?)

From one end of the spectrum to the other...

Often, yes. Different port, different device as far as Windows is concerned.
Wow. Hm. Ok.

The other files aren't corrupted, they just referred to controls that the game couldn't find, so the game renamed them rather than deleting them.

If it was simply a case of failing to plug in the controller or having it on the wrong port, you can delete the new Custom.binds and remove the extension on the file that was renamed to restore your binds.
So Elite: Dangerous renames the files making them useless if the game can't find said controller in said port. Ok.

So I just remove the backend of the file name (those numbers and the Backup extension), and my July settings should work again?

This isn't coding/programming, but yes I'm sure it's annoying for casual Windows users.
You're right of course. What would you consider the correct description for this error/solution?

Okay but isn't that something like UUID? The IDs in binds sure look(ed) that way... Are the chances hardware shares that even high?
EDIT: ok nvm, I've checked and my current thrustmaster is written under "T16000M" and "T16000MTHROTTLE". I am pretty sure my logitech driving force GT was something like "4A6BF5AD" or something, though.

The binds file just uses a shortened version of the device hardware ID (vendor and product). There is no randomness to it and they can be duplicated.

j2Tif6q.png

Error says something about failing to find GUID?

Yeah, whatever the game used to create the identifier to find your device is somehow different from what it was when it was originally bound.

Without more, and more specific, information, I cannot say what change caused this.

Could have been a Windows update updating USB or chipset drivers. Could possibly be the port. Could be Thrustmaster's software or drivers, if you are using them. Could be any other software you have that intercepts and translates/emulates commands (JoystickCurves for example).

If you want to stick a .txt on the end of your current/working set of binds and one of the backups the game made, then attach them here, I can compare them.

Yeah, whatever the game used to create the identifier to find your device is somehow different from what it was when it was originally bound.

Without more, and more specific, information, I cannot say what change caused this.

Could have been a Windows update updating USB or chipset drivers. Could possibly be the port. Could be Thrustmaster's software or drivers, if you are using them. Could be any other software you have that intercepts and translates/emulates commands (JoystickCurves for example).

If you want to stick a .txt on the end of your current/working set of binds and one of the backups the game made, then attach them here, I can compare them.
Another day spent trying to play E: D... :)

Thanks for your time and patience Morbad.

2 minutes... I hope...

I honestly have no clue what I'm doing, and not sure what I expect to get out of this exercise. But I appreciate your will to help.
But I really should be playing the game right now... I always come back to this game hoping to find things working, and leave feeling disappointed. :(

Attachments

• Custom.3.0.binds.december.txt
    49.8 KB · Views: 80
  • Custom.3.0.binds.july.txt
    49.1 KB · Views: 88

I don't use any additional software, never have. I have a wireless EDTracker pro that I used to use when I actually played this game. Apart from that I have a wireless xbox controller that I use for other games.

Everything else I play works flawlessly.

I don't use any additional software, never have. I have a wireless EDTracker pro that I used to use when I actually played this game. Apart from that I have a wireless xbox controller that I use for other games.

Everything else I play works flawlessly.
Wireless logitech keyboard, and wireless sony headset also.

Taking a look at your files now.

Is the keyboard bluetooth?
Thanks Morbad. I don't think so. It's a Logitech k400r with a usb plug-in receiver for the pc.

Todays allotted time playing E: D is pretty much spent, but I'll try to keep tabs on this thread.

I honestly have no clue what I'm doing, and not sure what I expect to get out of this exercise. But I appreciate your will to help.
But I really should be playing the game right now... I always come back to this game hoping to find things working, and leave feeling disappointed. :(

I took a look at these files and the game appears to be correctly detecting your ThrustMaster T-Flight in both, but there is a device bound to a few controls in the July file that is absent from the December one.

In all probability, this device was attached and bound, then you removed it at some point without realizing the game needed to have all bound controllers attached or it would throw a fit.

This is the discrepancy of note:
CIILLSn.png

Looking at the vendor and product IDs (VID_16D0&PID_0AEC) I see that this is from a company that sells PIDs to anyone, but using the context of the headlook bind, it makes me think you may have had some sort of head tracker before, but don't now?

Regardless, this would seem to be the problem. Every single physical or virtual device that was bound must be attached when you start the game, or the game will dump your old binds into a backup and give you an error.

I took a look at these files and the game appears to be correctly detecting your ThrustMaster T-Flight in both, but there is a device bound to a few controls in the July file that is absent from the December one.

In all probability, this device was attached and bound, then you removed it at some point without realizing the game needed to have all bound controllers attached or it would throw a fit.

This is the discrepancy of note:
CIILLSn.png

Looking at the vendor and product IDs (VID_16D0&PID_0AEC) I see that this is from a company that sells PIDs to anyone, but using the context of the headlook bind, it makes me think you may have had some sort of head tracker before, but don't now?

Regardless, this would seem to be the problem. Every single physical or virtual device that was bound must be attached when you start the game, or the game will dump your old binds into a backup and give you an error.
I had a Vive, but sold that long before july. Anyway, thanks again.

... 5. It's irrelevant where you keep the backup. I'd suggest a place you won't forget in 5 minutes, like desktop or even google drive if you're familiar with it. Also questioning Morbad's answer about folder placement, hilarious :D............

Can I just interject here that people should not keep copies in the same directory. Having more than one ".binds" file with the same Root PresetName in line 2 causes (can cause) any changes that you make to your options controls page to not be saved. Copies are best stored in a different directory entirely.

Last edited:
Can I just interject here that people should not keep copies in the same directory. Having more than one ".binds" file with the same Root PresetName in line 2 causes (can cause) any changes that you make to your options controls page to not be saved. Copies are best stored in a different directory entirely.
Yeah but he was asking about putting a backup directory there, so no naming clash happening :)

I was thinking the ED Head Tracker as well. If it's not plugged in and activated before he logs into ED then ED will re-write a new binds file as it always does when it can't find all the listed devices.

It would sure be nice if it just disabled the binds for the missing devices, but it's why backing up the active binds file is so important.

It would also be so much nicer if it allowed just using the filename within the game rather than the practice of using the StartPreset.start file. Not to mention hiding the default files for common controllers somewhere else.

the whole design is a bit frustrating and way overdue for an upgrade - but I'd better be careful what I ask for - they could make it worse...

Top Bottom