Patch Notes Update 2.1.04 update incoming

Fix for Docking Computer and NPC’s drifting off target landing pad

I would like to know how this got broken in the first place. I don't recall seeing any adjustments being made to auto-docking in the last major update. So, what happened?

I saw someone say they heard that one of your devs accidentally shifted the whole galaxy to the right 10 meters. Is that true?

Also, I guess all of us with earned but unawarded ranks are just left out the cold this go around. At the rate things are going, I'll be getting a message congratulating me for just making demi-god by the time my rank bar says midshipman.

I would like to know how this got broken in the first place. I don't recall seeing any adjustments being made to auto-docking in the last major update. So, what happened?

They made major changes to the AI code.

I saw someone say they heard that one of your devs accidentally shifted the whole galaxy to the right 10 meters. Is that true?
It was 9,8777 meters and it happened when he hit his foot while coding.

Last edited:

Gary Richards

Executive Producer
Frontier
Is the game update ready for download on xbox ?

Yes, was scheduled for 12noon BST (11:00am UTC) and is 161MB. It should automatically trigger when you next launch the game. You can check the build version by going to 'Manage Game', selecting the large Elite Dangerous icon and then holding RT & LT and pressing the 'view button' - the latest version is 2.1.108.4.
fly safe

can you tell us why it took so long to fix docking computers ? i simply dont understand why it took over a week.

Because it's part of a larger patch and each fix has to pass the entire QA and release cycle? Welcome to the complex world of professional software development, FD is obviously not that little computer shoppe tucked away in some shady corner. Actually didn't expect another patch that soon, but it shows the guys are listening. Thx and good work, FD :)

can you tell us why it took so long to fix docking computers ? i simply dont understand why it took over a week.

Allow me to elucidate you. Don't worry, its not as pervy as it sounds!

Here are the steps (assuming FD follow a fairly standard practice):

1) Problem is identified by playerbase or QA. Ok, that was on day 1.
2) QA log the issue in JIRA or whatever they are using, and pass to the dev team.
3) PM (probably) takes a look at his available devs, priority of the issue, and assigns it to a dev.
4) Unless its uber level hotfix critical, probably goes into his pile of jobs to do for the week. Probably being told it needs to be solved if possible by the next patch.
5) When they get the chance, they look at the issue, and try and identify the problem. This can vary depending on the complexity of the problem. They might get it in 5 minutes, it could take hours.
6) Dev informs PM their estimate for duration of the fix. If fix is going to take many hours, the PM might decide to escalate to his manager to ask whether a fix should be produced as a priority or not considering the estimate. However, let's assume the fix takes no more than an hour.
7) Dev produces fix and tests it themselves on their local build (possibly)
8) Submit the bug fix to the testing build for QA to test.
9) QA tests. Reports back whether it worked or not. If not, we got back to step 5 or thereabouts. If it works...
10) Fix is submitted to the release branch.
11) Build manager accepts patch, along with other patches being submitted for the next patch.
12) Await higher management give green light for release of next patch.
13) Patch is released.

There you go, it might not work exactly like that in FD, but its pretty typical.

Reinstalling my docking computer!

..and complaining it takes up an internal slot again.

Loving the fact (now) it broke in the first place - forcing me to uninstall it on all my large ships! I used to consider it fairly essential when punching the mailslot at full speed.......but a couple of weeks or whatever of no docking computer - hey, I get a "free" internal slot!

(although I won't miss leaving each station through an asteroid field of destroyed hapless NPC failed docks!)

Gary Richards

Executive Producer
Frontier
Don't forget(Like I did) you may need to reboot your xbox for it to 'see' the update.

And sometimes the Xbox can quietly download it in the background and you spend 20mins doing power cycles when you get home, only to realise you already have it.

So long as you don't contact CS before checking, no one will ever know.

Cargo transfers works, as long as the ship you switch to has enough cargo space. Limpets will not transfer though, but commodities will.

Two Questions for FDEV then:
1 - if Limpets are cargo why can't we transfer them ?
2 - if they are not cargo why do they occupy cargo space and mass ?

(although I won't miss leaving each station through an asteroid field of destroyed hapless NPC failed docks!)

d'awww I was enjoyin sometimes ping ponging an eagle through the debris out of boredom as ive got nobody to fly with right now(due to holiday)

Last edited:
Top Bottom