News 2.3 Dev Update

"As long as their ship has enough seats (different ships have different multicrew capabilities) a Commander can directly invite players, or can set their vessel to allow multicrew access. Commanders looking to play as crew can either accept direct invites, or activate a new “looking for ship” feature, which will automatically place them as crew on a suitable vessel with multicrew access allowed, making the process quick and painless."

VERY glad to hear this bit, the fewer barriers to multicrew this better. Will be great to be able to bring in friends when out exploring.

edit:
"a new, fully-fledged camera system"

Ooh, so an upgrade to the old debug cam? Very cool if so.

Last edited:
Neat!

Every crewmember also has access to a power distributor pip that they can assign dynamically.

I assume anyone flying a fighter won't be able to dynamically assign those pips, right?

Also, will there be anything for multicrew to do on non-turreted, non-fighter-carrying ships?

Also, what about SRVs?

Last edited:
Sounds good. I've been waiting for multicrew for ages and what's described is very nice. I do have a couple of points though.

It would be nice if the ship owner didn't always have to be the helm. If I trust my friends to fly my ship and if I accept that the rebuy is my responsibility, I'd like to be able to swap seats.

Secondly I really want to be able to taxi people around, ie fly them from point A to point B where they can buy or transfer a ship or even wait in the station to be picked back up. Now, clearly if we're allowing people to instantly join our ship from anywhere that would open up an obvious exploit but so long as we were both docked at the same place when my friend joins my ship I don't think it would be unreasonable to let him disembark at the other end.

Otherwise, tip top! Letting people just chill in the cockpit is one of the things I wanted. Having multiple fighters will be great. A dedicated gunner will be great. Most excellent.

Darth Raijiin

Broke his phone.
This part of the behaviour really needs a serious re-think I feel.

You're essentially outlining a system where crew can commit all the crimes they want on non-reward granting targets and then just walk away wiping the crimes with the only deterrent being they don't gain any of the credits they never gained in killing civilians/unwanted in the first place.

It simply doesn't work as a counter rule, and just sets up a grief-centric reward system.

Also the whole magical space unicorn transportation stuff really doesn't seem to fit into the existing rules of the game.... unless Frontier have plans to re-invent the entire premise of players in the Elite universe and make us some god-grade immortal EVE-clones that can just jump between bodies at will.

Otherwise, having people whisking themselves to the other side of the galaxy in the blink of an eye just to see the latest discovery of someone who actually took the time to travel, or to get involved in conflicts hundreds of thousands of light years away without any risk or investment is just going to be nothing but a negative influence on the game and bring the game closer to a market that frankly will get bored and stop playing a couple of week after each major update or popular reveal anyway no matter what you do.

I think you can just allow your friends you want on your ship, I think it is fine as defined.

2) So if I'm in the bubble I'll be able to instantly multi-crew with a CMDR who at Beagle Point?

Is this telepresence? What's the lore explanation for something like this?
It's called "playing a game together". This is a game, not DCS Countdown. Would you rather have something that works without a contorted explanation, or be completely unable to play together with that commander because "OMG it doesn't work"?

These are sweet words Sandro-San.

Still digesting all the details, but blessings be upon y'all for the telepresence insta-join approach :). That definitely feels like the way to go on this one.

So I've just read all this and have taken a moment or two to digest it.

Here's some things...

1) Can the main ships still wing up and still each be multi-crewed?

If so, then you'll have 4 ships, each more powerful than non-multicrewed equivalents, being able to launch 2 SLF's each. That's effectively 12 ship in one wing.

2) So if I'm in the bubble I'll be able to instantly multi-crew with a CMDR who at Beagle Point?

Is this telepresence? What's the lore explanation for something like this?

3) Given point (1) above, I can see endless possibility for ganking hilarity and popcorn. Buy more shares in salt mines. ;)

Good questions... I know that Sandy will be reading this thread a lot so he's sure to see them. We've got a livestream coming up in a couple of weeks, I'm sure there will be plenty of opportunity to answer as many questions as possible :)

But yeah - it's telepresence!

Last edited:
It's called "playing a game together". This is a game, not DCS Countdown. Would you rather have something that works without a contorted explanation, or be completely unable to play together with that commander because "OMG it doesn't work"?

I'm not criticising it. I'm asking a question. What's yer problem mate? Calm down.

Oh come ON. What do you want, a 3-day waiting period to play with a friend? Are you serious? This is an attempt to let people play together, and at some point it's enough with watching timers tick down while being unable to blaze your trail.

Just registering my disapproval. If you want to fly on a ship with strangers you meet, do so. If you want to fly with friends, arrange to meet. If you want to fly to Beagle Point, then insta-zap back whenever you feel like it..

Yeah, that's not for me. I like my decisions to have consequences. Otherwise it devalues anything I do in game. "IMO".

This looks amazing! Quick question for you guys, a bit of a particular one—can crewmembers man the classified camera? This would make filming for videos so much easier! :)

Can I just clarify;

We can have up to three players per ship.
The owner is always the helm.
The combinations of roles are;

a) 1 pilot and either one or two people doing nothing.
b) 1 pilot and a gunner and a person doing nothing.
c) 1 pilot and 2 gunners (this is the one I'm unclear about).
d) 1 pilot, 1 gunner and 1 fighter pilot (and a NPC pilot if there's enough space).
e) 1 NPC pilot, 1 gunner and 2 PC fighter pilots (again if there's enough space).

That about right?

Oh and will multicrewed ships have a different colour on the scanner to show other players they're up against a multi crewed ship?

Last edited:
Sounds awesome, guys. 3 carbon based lifeforms per ship sounds like a formidable foe.

Question: What does ship re-buy for each crewmember mean?

Good question. Does it apply to the ship I left? Wondering if I should be in a Cutter or a Sidewinder before I become a crewmember.

The extra 'pip' sounds interesting. I'd always thought of the pips as merely a way of assigning a certain fraction of your power to a given system (i.e. so there's no difference between 2 of 4 pips or 4 of 8 or 50 of 100 etc.) but the above makes it sound like the additional pip is actually more power through the distributor.

Even though I'm not sure I'll be multicrewing much, it sounds like there are some really good incentives for teaming up on one ship.
This does need some clarification.

Is this just splitting pips more finely, no change to the PD capacitor sizes or their recharge rates? Or is it actually increasing those? If so, does it definitely cause the necessary increased load on the Power Plant ?

Top Bottom