[LIST] HORIZONS' WONDERS

WARNING : Since FD started bug fixing these, I don't know what is still out there until I visit all of these wonderful locations (I will get to it soon)

Please point me towards strange and wondrous features on the surface of planets/moons and also interesting planetary bodies because of size or proximity to other bodies/stars. Eventually I would like to have categories like CRATERS , MONOLITHS, PROXIMITY, VALLEYS , MOUNTAINS and MOUNTAIN RANGES, and more !
I do not mind duplicates, in fact I encourage it . 2 amazing, but similar, CRATERS for example , might be 300LYs and 6000LYs from SOL, and one or the other might be closer to a CMDR for his/her pilgrimage.

Remember, I want special , extraordinary , challenging or "different" entries :)
One stipulation, I need Location or it won't qualify to go here. The whole point of this thread is for our intrepid explorers to go visit these sites !

If your find is purely planetary in weirdness or oddity then post it in Dr Kaii's thread https://forums.frontier.co.uk/showthread.php?t=205848 :)

p.s. The names are Authors, not first discoverer(even if you were first). I want to avoid headaches & disputes like "I posted this first in Reddit" :)

LOCAL = Inside the inhabited "bubble"
TYPE in red = If the type of this wonder is in red then you might have to hurry to see it as it could be fixed soon !!! (like a bad, embarrassing or game breaking glitch/bug :) )

UNIQUE(so far)
TYPE
AREA/NEBULA
SYSTEM
LAT
LON
DISTANCE FROM SOL(LYs)
NICKNAME
DESCRIPTION
SCREENSHOT
VIDEO
THREAD LINKS
AUTHOR
G RATING
OVERALL RATING(5 Stars)
CANYON​
LOCAL
URANUS (ARIEL)​
140.5​
-5.5​
0.0​
10km deep canyon, you've got to fly this !!!​
Rogier Schaaf​
0.03​
CRATER​
LOCAL
ANURINJUNG (2A)​
27​
142​
~146​
LESTER'S PLATEAU​
Crater with vertical walls flush with the ground and huge flat mountain in the middle !!!​
VIDEO (thanks GhostRaven)​
Cmdr Khelder (Nickname in honour of his father)​
0.26​
DEEP CRATER​
HIP 38064 (2)​
-4.8​
41.75​
~1200​
Deep 100km Crater​
VIDEO (Thanks 777Driver)​
Kronek​
0.26​
FAST ORBIT​
LOCAL
EPSILON INDI (MITTERAND HOLLOW)​
11.8​
Try catching that moon ! :D
Cmdr Ziljan​
0.09​
MONOLITH​
LOCAL
ALTAIS (2B)​
2​
47​
97.43​
HOPPRYNGIL MONOLITH​
It is a MONOLITH !!!​
Cmdr Hoppryngil​
0.05​
NEBULA​
PLEIADES​
MAIA​
383​
Beautiful, see thread​
Cmdr Ziljan​
PROXIMITY​
HD 49368 (1,2 & 3)​
1615​
LøLWUT HELL​
Try landing there and not frying !​
Cmdr Lølwut​
1.3​
VERY HIGH G​
HD 148937 (3)​
~1400​
Very high G, landing possible ?​
Shadmar LANDING TAKEOFF
9.77​
TYPE
AREA/NEBULA
SYSTEM
LON
LAT
DISTANCE FROM SOL(LYs)
NICKNAME
DESCRIPTION
SCREENSHOT
VIDEO
THREAD LINKS
AUTHOR
G RATING
OVERALL RATING

VERY RARE
TYPE
AREA/NEBULA
SYSTEM
LAT
LON
DISTANCE FROM SOL(LYs)
NICKNAME
DESCRIPTION
SCREENSHOT
VIDEO
THREAD LINKS
AUTHOR
G RATING
OVERALL RATING(5 Stars)
FLAT MOUNTAIN(with vertical walls)​
HAT-P-7 (4)​
-57​
-91​
~1044​
WESTEROS​
Like a jagged Creme Caramel :D
Fozz20​
2.25​
FLAT MOUNTAIN(with vertical walls)​
NGC 6357 SECTOR HH-V C2-46 (3)​
-21​
7​
~8162​
RUPES INSANIA​
1.31​
GRAPHICAL ANOMALY
LOCAL
LFT 65 (2A)​
~33​
Moon ring clipping moon​
grnbrg​
0.15​
GRAPHICAL ANOMALY
LOCAL
HIP 44520 (BRADSHAW VISION)​
-16​
-168​
~175​
Part of a space station floating in orbit​
Avago Ero​
0.24​
GRAPHICAL ANOMALY
LOCAL
RAIDENWITHA (7A)​
~170​
Planet and Ring clipping​
DakotaTheWolf​
0.18​
HIGH G​
LOCAL
ACHENAR (3 ,permit required)​
139.45​
Large planet with high G, difficult landing​
GhostRaven LANDING & TAKEOFF
Cmdr Ziljan​
6.73​
HIGH G​
28 ETA ORIONIS (3)​
901​
High G, difficult landing​
6.59​
PROXIMITY​
LOCAL
BETELGEUSE (2)​
497.97​
Look at the size of that !!!​
Cmdr Alex Brentnall​
TYPE
AREA/NEBULA
SYSTEM
LON
LAT
DISTANCE FROM SOL(LYs)
NICKNAME
DESCRIPTION
SCREENSHOT
VIDEO
THREAD LINKS
AUTHOR
G RATING
OVERALL RATING

RARE
TYPE
AREA/NEBULA
SYSTEM
LAT
LON
DISTANCE FROM SOL(LYs)
NICKNAME
DESCRIPTION
SCREENSHOT
VIDEO
THREAD LINKS
AUTHOR
G RATING
OVERALL RATING(5 Stars)
CRATER​
PLEIADES​
PLEIADES SECTOR GW-W C1-15 (1)​
60​
6​
400​
Crater with vertical walls above ground​
Cmdr Anuranium & Cmdr Dognosh​
0.08​
CRATER​
LOCAL
LHS 1963 (1A)​
32​
37​
28.11​
Cmdr Rancid Rance​
0.03​
CRATER​
LOCAL
JUNGA (1)​
36​
-128​
~135​
Gromit240​
0.07​
CRATER​
LOCAL
HIP 16650 (3C)​
~250​
8 shaped (or peanut shaped) crater​
Cmdr Cheese Wedge​
CRATER​
SWOILZ HE-U C5-5 (1A)​
-30​
-9.7​
~600​
Deep crater​
LANDSCAPE​
SYNUEFE NI-R C21-2 (8B)​
~350​
DRAGNET​
Canyons galore !​
Cmdr Cheese Wedge​
0.07​
LANDSCAPE​
PRAEA EUQ BA-P C19-22 (1A)​
~1400​
CLAWS​
Many many canyons !​
HVG​
0.12​
TYPE
AREA/NEBULA
SYSTEM
LON
LAT
DISTANCE FROM SOL(LYs)
NICKNAME
DESCRIPTION
SCREENSHOT
VIDEO
THREAD LINKS
AUTHOR
G RATING
OVERALL RATING

Last edited:
Was thinking of making a list like this myself but don't have time tbh.

Not a landing feature but I'd have to say Betelgeuse for the epic sunrise/skyscene. Will report any other features as and when I find them :):
https://forums.frontier.co.uk/showthread.php?t=205806

added...

- - - - - Additional Content Posted / Auto Merge - - - - -

I forsee a problem on tuesday alex, when the beta forums go away, I suggest you copy paste your first post in to another thread or here, as my link will be null and void otherwise :)

- - - - - Additional Content Posted / Auto Merge - - - - -

ZILJAN's first post in his ACHENAR thread(it is in beta forum and will be lost)

I've noticed that on Achenar 3, the safest and quickest way to land is to pick out a nice flat region, fly down around 3-4 km and then point your ship straight upward, adjusting your rear engine throttle to slow your descent. Because of the extreme gravity, you will still fall Down, but it will be gentle and controlled. If you start to gain altitude, just feather FA off until you are gently falling again. The side thrusters are too weak to use reliably like this, but the rear engines are quite powerful even on slow heavy ship like the Keelback. Once you are at about 15-30 m above the ground, and going ~0 m/s, reduce your throttle to zero, pitch forward until you are level and hovering. Put 4 pips to shields, and gently tap FA off while using your weaker dorsal thrusters slow the remainder of your decent.

This technique will allow you land in under a minute while taking Zero damage in a any ship. Even in 6.73g.

I think the Autopilot recall animation should reflect this rear thruster mechanic. Especially since it can land embarrassingly quickly :p. I have noticed from the third person camera, that even when pointing straight up while hovering, your dorsal thrusters are still animated at a full blue cones, even though they aren't actually pushing you sideways or being manually engaged. :rolleyes: And the rear engines don't kick up dust as your back into the planet. Small graphical bugs that ruin an other wise very cool 3rd person screen shot ;)

Last edited:
I forsee a problem on tuesday alex, when the beta forums go away, I suggest you copy paste your first post in to another thread or here, as my link will be null and void otherwise :)

Good point, I've asked if moderators would mind moving it into the exploration sub-forum, if not I have the pictures saved so I'll create a new version and post you a link over here :)

What about 28 ETA ORIONIS [3]?
8xv73Ao.jpg
6.59 G and a stunning view, does not need permit (like Achenar), 901 LYs from Sol
K0IfAnn.jpg
I managed to land on it without damage, took me about 20 minutes to find a landable place.
sSj51Gc.jpg
Rear view
DLbbeg0.jpg
And did you know what sound a rotating Asp makes near the surface of High-G-Planets? Sounds like it is in a scrap press. Turn up the volume :)
[video=youtube_share;bJ3sh-Gki1g]https://youtu.be/bJ3sh-Gki1g[/video]

Many thanks for making this, it's great to have all the interesting finds listed in one location. Love your description of the Monolith :D

<snip>...

2 of us where there last night, oh the humanity :D

He landed perfectly
I landed, and was down to 2% hull !!! :D
Buggy ride was excellent as the gravity sticks you to the "tarmac" like a Formula 1 car
He took off to 10k to find a decent mountain/crater for us
He found a mountain
Then he tried to land near me and SPLAT, he died :D

Last edited:
Yes, just confirmed they swapped LON and LAT around. On your HUD, the first number is now LAT, 2nd is LON.

The monolith, 5k vertical drop. You must visit and base jump with your SRV. It is low G and I jumped twice and landed twice safely(you need to practice and learn SRV controls) :D

cxNeAl1.jpg

DaVswUj.jpg

WOW?!?! serious ? anyone landed there yet ? :D
going on list as it's worthy

Last edited by a moderator:
i tried and failed. got 3km from surface and the gravity just pulled me down hard to my doom, boosting did nothing to counter the high G's. good luck to anyone trying to land.

Did you point your ship directly up at a 90 degree angle and boots? On high gravity worlds the safest way to land is going perpendicular to the surface and slowly backing down.

I hope that if they ever fix the game from creating strange formations like this, that they at least protect the already existing wonders from being overwritten or deleted.

Has nobody submitted Junga 1 yet? I feel like that should be on here.

From orbit. On the edge. Traveling down along the wall.

It has two enormous craters that go over 20KM deep each, with huge crater walls on the surface too. The first time I went there was when the host star was just poking over the edge but not lighting up the bottom. It was like descending into the depths of hell.

Last edited:
I hope that if they ever fix the game from creating strange formations like this, that they at least protect the already existing wonders from being overwritten or deleted.

It has two enormous craters that go over 20KM deep each, with huge crater walls on the surface too. The first time I went there was when the host star was just poking over the edge but not lighting up the bottom. It was like descending into the depths of hell.

What is there to fix? The galaxy is a dangerous place. Perhaps if a +9G planet exists, you'd do well to not go there as you may never leave. The same goes for those systems that are only now reachable with the FSD boost. You better make damn sure you have 2 charges so you can get there and back!

WOW?!?! serious ? anyone landed there yet ? :D
going on list as it's worthy

Here you go Dognosh :)

View attachment 87824

Although I wish I'd read that post about never being able to leave first! Nah - I'd a still gone. I'll let you know how leaving goes when I try it! Want to try the SRV first.

Heisenberg

EDIT

Landing: Bumpy, I think I got lucky with some flat ground but not as bad as I'd expected. I'm flying a light ship though. Thrusted down from high and dropped like a stone (don't thrust down). Got to a few meters above the ground and (very briefly) switch FA off. Hit and bounced but only shield damage. Couple of goes later I landed.

SRV: Sticks to the ground like an F1 car, you can use thrust but you just bump back down almost instantly. Didn't go far, didn't want to risk autopilot.

Leaving: All seemed very easy at first, up thrust just got me high enough off the ground to point upwards and use the main thrusters. Cleared Mass Locked easy enough.

Then I hit my SC drive. It started going into SC but I had to align with escape vector - nowt new there. Then it said "throttle up to engage" - I am throttled up but it sometimes sticks on my old joystick so mess with the throttle - nothing. Speed seems to be declining as well (maybe me messing with the throttle) suddenly I'm in heat damage. PANIC, using my tried and trusted method of randomly stabbing at things I hit boost. FSD engaged and I'm in SC - ship still taking damage but cooling fast.

Made it on and off - didn't have a detail scanner so it didn't show me the G of the planet so I'm going off the previously posted G levels.

Ship: Viper Mark IV
Loadout: A rated FSD, D rated everything else. No cargo but with SRV.

Last edited:

Thanks, adding, but I need to know if it was Beta 5 or older, or Beta 6 or newer ? (LAT & LON were swapped) link to thread ?

Top Bottom