Engineers 3.3.01 High Grade Emissions for Dummies

I was confused about how to farm High Grade Emissions with the new Full-Spectrum Scanner and signal source changes. After reading several threads here, I see that I'm not alone. But collecting others' hints and tips together, I was able to rake in the rares faster than before the update, after some initial fumbling. So for others out there with the same problem, here's the method I'm now using:

1. Consult the Materials tab of the excellent Scavenger spreadsheet to determine the type of system you're looking for.

For example: Proto Heat Radiators -> Boom (Independent/Alliance)
  2. In game, enter the Galaxy Map and set the system filter to the desired state. Pick one and set a course.

Previously I would have used eddb.io to locate a high-population system fitting the required parameters. However, the update has reset all system states, so the database is very inaccurate right now and will take a while to catch up. Furthermore, I haven't seen any need to seek out high-population systems since the update: they don't seem to have a higher prevalence of HGE signals, nor does having a lot of them in one system do much good anymore. You'll see why shortly. Finally, just finding one system doesn't do a lot of good; you may need to visit several systems to find a HGE signal. Waiting around a system hoping for a HGE to pop up doesn't really work anymore. So the Galaxy Map is a much more efficient way to go about this.
  3. Once you've jumped into the system, target the Nav Beacon and head for it. Drop out of supercruise and scan the Nav Beacon to identify every Unidentified Signal Source in the system. (This is a lot faster than using the Full-Spectrum Scanner!)
  4. Return to supercruise, then check the Target panel for High Grade Emissions signals. If you don't see any, go back to step 2 and select a different system to visit.
  5. If you do see one or more High Grade Emissions signals, select one and head for it.
  6. Once you're out of supercruise at the HGE site, take a peek at the Contacts tab on the Target panel to see if it has the type of materials you want.

Note that some material types may coexist randomly at a site, e.g. Proprietary Composites and Core Dynamics Composites. If you are looking for CDC but see only PC when you first drop in, that's OK... stick with that site.
  7. If the site has the wrong kind of materials, pick a different HGE site (if one exists in the system) or a different system. (Return to step 4 or step 2.)
  8. If you do see the right kind of materials, scoop them up quickly and immediately relog. You are on a time limit (the signal lifetime is usually ~20 minutes) so efficiency matters now.
  9. Once logged back in, immediately boost and enter supercruise; during the final 5-second countdown before entering supercruise, set your throttle to zero. Otherwise, you will move quickly away from the signal site and lose time getting back to it.
  10. If you see an Unidentified Signal Source right in front of you and close by (~1 Mm or less), select it and drop out of supercruise ASAP.
  11. If you don't see the USS in front of you, enter the Target panel and select the closest one. It should be very close... possibly close enough to just point your nose to it and immediately drop out.
  12. You'll be back at the same HGE site with the same type of materials. Continue from step 8 and keep scooping up those mats until time runs out!

The upshot: signal sources persist between sessions until their time runs out. This has two consequences: (1) if you don't see a HGE in a system, give up on that system right away and move on. You might circle back to it in >20 minutes. And (2) if you do see a HGE in a system, stay there farm the hell out of it!

Thanks all those who have discussed the issue in the beta forums and put these tips out there. I'm just putting them in bullet point form. ;)

Thanks, this is great. I'm still struggling to find Improvised Components using your method. Not your fault Just have not had a single spawn with the material I'm looking for.
They have finally created a way to make money in the game, so I'm enjoying the game a little more. If they can fix this mind numbing materials grind, I'll be happy.

This game Arghhhhhhhh!
So, I'm trying to get Improvised components
High grade emissions In state "Civil Unrest" increased chance Independent or Alliance.
Seems like there is currently only one system (Ross 1015) in the bubble that is in a state of civil unrest and its Fed and has no Improvised components.

This game Arghhhhhhhh!
So, I'm trying to get Improvised components
High grade emissions In state "Civil Unrest" increased chance Independent or Alliance.
Seems like there is currently only one system (Ross 1015) in the bubble that is in a state of civil unrest and its Fed and has no Improvised components.

You may wind up having to do what I did for some of my materials and snatch up a lot of Core Dynamics Composites or Imperial Shielding and trading it for what you need. Exchange rate is garbage but hopping from system to system with some collector limpets top you off quick.

You may wind up having to do what I did for some of my materials and snatch up a lot of Core Dynamics Composites or Imperial Shielding and trading it for what you need. Exchange rate is garbage but hopping from system to system with some collector limpets top you off quick.
Thanks Supra
Do different traders have different stuff? I have been to a couple of material traders but they didn't have "Improvised Components"

My 2 cents to add:

- It is advised to look for a fairly compact system with single star, or at least for a double system with stars close to each other. USS spawn mechanics take system size into account, so you may end up with HGEs that are tens of thousands Ls away from entry point.

- If there's only one system available (common case with civil unrest or outbreak), park your ship above\below ecliptic (so you can see every planet) and check FSS for new signals every 3-4 minutes. If the star is scoopable, park at the border of scoop zone (and have a fuel scoop). Keep in mind that it might be a long waiting.

Last edited:
Too bad there are next to no outbreak systems around. Well, I resort to scooping up encoded emissions and visit the mat trader.

Too bad there are next to no outbreak systems around. Well, I resort to scooping up encoded emissions and visit the mat trader.

I dont know how efficient that is, it may be fine. I use the crashed cobra site for encoded data. You can load up on AECs (g5) rather quickly. There's only 1 blueprint that uses AEC so its a painless tradeoff to get what you want at the trader.

Since I only need nine pharma isolators to upgrade my frags, it might be more efficient. Especially since I hit zero HGEs all day.

Really working great so far. Systems with several HGEs this morning: 10 Canum Venaticorum, Korovii, LHS 371, Tau Ophiuchii. Do it exactly as Gurn Blandston described it, thanks by the way. Checking your nav panel upon dropping into a system is not indicative of how many USS there really are. Sometimes it showed none, then I scanned the nav beacon, back into supercruise and seconds later there was a good dozen, sometimes with more than one HGE.

Once you target the HGE, the remaining time in the upper right info panel is the time you have left to collect. It's not 20min per default, I've jumped into systems an found HGEs with only seconds left on them. I guess the whole system recycles every 20min? An HGE of 16min was enough for me to collect seven times without feeling rushed. However, I do use collector limpets and move in close to the material, in order to minimize collection time. Using my souped up AspX for this, so I can quickly jump between systems in the desired state.

A quick example: I needed nine pharma isolators, didn't have a single one and nothing left to trade. Went to one of those systems listed above, collected seven times, gained 81 core dynamic composites, which is the equivalent of 13 pharma isolators at the mat trader and all that in 20-25 min. Seems efficient enough for me.

Last edited:
Couple of updates now that I have several more data points (I would edit the howto but I can't edit my own posts yet):

On average I'm finding a HGE maybe every 3 systems I visit or so.

The signal timers appear to be counting down from your entry into the system, before you scan the Nav Beacon: so completing that step efficiently counts. From the amount of time I've seen remaining on HGE's, I'm guessing the timers start at anywhere from 5 minutes to 40 minutes. By the time you've cruised to the nav beacon, scanned it and returned to supercruise, there's often barely time to reach the 5 minute signals, let alone farm them multiple times.

The signals seem to be in orbit just like any other planet or moon. Signals closer to the body they're orbiting will have scooted further away from you when you relog from that position.

So far I have not experimented with waiting around a system for signals to respawn, or leaving a system and returning shortly after, so I don't really know how long you would have to wait or how well those techniques work. I am guessing that waiting long enough for most of the signals to expire (5-40 minutes) should get you a fresh set of them when you scan again.

Couple of updates now that I have several more data points (I would edit the howto but I can't edit my own posts yet):

On average I'm finding a HGE maybe every 3 systems I visit or so.

The signal timers appear to be counting down from your entry into the system, before you scan the Nav Beacon: so completing that step efficiently counts. From the amount of time I've seen remaining on HGE's, I'm guessing the timers start at anywhere from 5 minutes to 40 minutes. By the time you've cruised to the nav beacon, scanned it and returned to supercruise, there's often barely time to reach the 5 minute signals, let alone farm them multiple times.

The signals seem to be in orbit just like any other planet or moon. Signals closer to the body they're orbiting will have scooted further away from you when you relog from that position.

So far I have not experimented with waiting around a system for signals to respawn, or leaving a system and returning shortly after, so I don't really know how long you would have to wait or how well those techniques work. I am guessing that waiting long enough for most of the signals to expire (5-40 minutes) should get you a fresh set of them when you scan again.

I tried staying in a system and just launching in that system every time I started the game. The only time I found HGE's was the 1st time I visited the system. They never came back. The system state did not change. Sample size of one system so does not mean much on its own.

That’s why I prefer using a ship with decent jump range. I went from system to system in #13 and after completing the fourth, the first would have refreshed.

I was at Broo's lazor shop in Muang and did a bit of HGE hunting, I located about 10 of them mostly collecting Imperial shielding plus one with mil grade alloys and one with mil super caps.

Returning to Alliance space I passed through Empire and Federation systems in various states, I took a few notes of the states and drops

Alliance - civil war - mil grade alloys

Empire - civil war - mil grade alloys or mil super caps

Empire - investment - imperial shielding

Empire - none - imperial shielding

Federation - investment - proto heat rads or proto radiolic alloys+proto light alloys or core dynamics composite+proprietary comps

Federation - election - core dynamics composite+proprietary comps

Looks like the HGE state is determined by the faction state listed in the HGE data panel not the overall system state listed in the galmap, unsurprisingly I've maxed out on Imperial shielding and have almost 80 CDC.

Tried to farm Pharmaceutical Isolators in Outbreak systems legitimately for over 4 hours and got absolutely nothing, so I don't even feel bad about applying this method in the future until they fix HGE spawnrates. [downcast]

According to EDDB there are only 12 systems in outbreak ATM, either that's out of date or outbreak isn't as quick as war to reinstate (war, civil war etc were the first to appear after the state reset), also some states can be fairly short lived so data from EDDB may no longer be valid if it hasn't been updated within a few hours.

edit: found an outbreak system (Brulenjan) about 50 LY from my location, had a quick check of the USS but nothing so far possibly because there's only one of the four factions in outbreak, war involves at least two the factions after all.

EDDB lists 5 outbreak systems currently it had gone up from 12 to 20

Last edited:
Top Bottom