4.0 Access on PC: FAQ

I think they're acknowledging that 4.0 is going to affect performance, so they're giving people the option to stay on 3.8 in case 4.0 isn't playable on their machines. That's just my guess.
This seems the only explanation, but it makes the existence of 4.0 pointless. If it only works on Odyssey-capable PCs then who are the people it is for? Frontier has to keep 3.8 for existing users, and wants to push on doing new things in Odyssey, but I see zero benefit and significant costs in having this non-instancing Horizons 4.0 in the middle. It would be different if there were prospect of it instancing with Odyssey but clearly that is not going to happen.

This seems the only explanation, but it makes the existence of 4.0 pointless. If it only works on Odyssey-capable PCs then who are the people it is for? Frontier has to keep 3.8 for existing users, and wants to push on doing new things in Odyssey, but I see zero benefit and significant costs in having this non-instancing Horizons 4.0 in the middle. It would be different if there were prospect of it instancing with Odyssey but clearly that is not going to happen.
It sounds like there are backend changes that are required for the story going forward that need 4.0

4.0 is the only code that will be improved upon going forward, so the existence of 3.8 shouldn't be much of a drag on resources.

This way they've done it is the best possible scenario to make as many paying customers happy without trying to maintain two distinct branches of code, but I still don't understand why H4.0 can't instance with O4.0. Is it deemed too much work to set up a check for an Odyssey license and exclude players from the Odyssey functionality? Is there a technical reason? Are they trying to pressure Horizons players into buying the DLC just to play with their friends again?

Considering how the question has been totally and pointedly ignored in this thread, I'm thinking they just don't want us to know the reason(s).

Will trophys on console be modified to clean up the unobtainable trophies like cqc due to the lack of players or 'content' driven trophies like complete 10 CG's and similarly trophies that will be un-obtainable due to lack of player base?
Greetings Commanders,

Earlier this month we shared this post which described our plans to make 4.0 available to all PC users. We’d like to take this opportunity reiterate the purpose of this option and answer some of your questions. To that end please, read this FAQ on our website:

As always, thank you for your feedback and please ask any further questions you may have down below!

O7

So just to be absolutely clear, what version will console be on after the 4.0 update ? A response from @Bruce G , or someone else in Frontier would be nice ,please !

So, we waited over a week to read something that has been already said before - that 4.0 is pointless. OK, doesn't make too much sense to me, but OK.

@Bruce G the instancing barrier between ODY 4.0 and HOR 4.0 is a major letdown.

This is how I think it should be (no demand, just my personal opinion of what would be an elegant solution):

Horizons 4.0 should basically be Odyssey with some features restricted. Horizons players don't get to land on planets with tenuous atmospheres: Restrict them from buying the required planetary landing suite. Horizons players are not entitled to on foot content: Allow them to actually disembark in their flight suits, but disable any and all station concourse services. No pioneer supplies, no missions, no nothing. Allow full physical multicrew on ships and SRV. That is basically Odyssey with just a few but key features locked on a per account basis.

Horizons players could look at the station interiors but not use them, they could be taken down to a restricted planet on an Odyssey multicrew ship and could take gunner role in a Scorpion for Odyssey content. That way they'd actually get some use out of the Scorpion, but by far not the whole ODY picture.

Simple, elegant, and very little coding effort (so I think at least).

@Bruce G the instancing barrier between ODY 4.0 and HOR 4.0 is a major letdown.
It's really disappointing, but it's probably a rating thing. Odyssey settlements can exist on non-atmospheric planets, so theoretically Horizons players in ships would be able to attack people on foot. I'd expected we'd still be able to see each other in space though, at least.

It's really disappointing, but it's probably a rating thing. Odyssey settlements can exist on non-atmospheric planets, so theoretically Horizons players in ships would be able to attack people on foot. I'd expected we'd still be able to see each other in space though, at least.
Totally a non-issue. Increase the Horizons 4.0 age rating and put a mandatory pop-up in which requires the player to consent on first launch of Horizons 4.0. If they do and they're in fact younger, it's on them. If they don't, then they can't use 4.0 and have to stay on 3.8, which of course keeps it's current rating. This would only be a problem if 4.0 replaced 3.8, but both will coexist.

Hi Bruce, great update thanks for clarifying, can the link for system specs for 4.0 be shown I can’t locate them at present?

I imagine that players who can’t run EDO, likewise won’t be able to run 4.0 either, based on system specs.

Imagine a minority of players haven’t opted for EDO simply due to technical limitations, is there a danger 4.0 will still hit this community of potato PCs? If so maybe this ought to be more clearly identified.

Happy that current iteration’s of the code base will still be available (for this reason) which suits myself fine, but I’m only thinking from a marketing perspective for those less informed, people opting for 4.0 not understanding their dinosaurs still can’t run it, as with EDO?

Last edited:
Hi Bruce,

will you be testing (and fixing?) Horizons 4.0 for RX6000 series cards - or, if the issues with the RX6000 drivers can't be mended at your end, provide an official workaround? There are a few forum contributors who posted their workarounds, but their test depth isn't too good.

Otherwise - that's probably one of the reasons for FD to keep Horizons 3.8 around.

Back
Top Bottom