The Route planner discussion thread

And what if someone interdicts you while you are taking a nap?

This, I presume

Puveq20.png

Dont sleep on watch its not worth it,

Good news, I was starting to worry about it ever getting into the game. It doesnt have to be long, under 100ly would suit me fine.

- Merge Threads

Hey pilotes,

I was leaving Cosi, trying to reach Aldebran... Never could reach the destination. There was no station to get fuel, and since then new beta version there is no more the "distress beacon" option. I did not had a fuel scoop neither. So I just had to self-destruct, it was the only solution. (my beautiful eagle :( ).

My question is, how can I plan a better route next time ? How can I avoid these kind of situation ? I don't find any option to search about space stations in others systems.

Thank you for your help.
Safe flight !

Slicta, from Brussels (sorry for my poor english)

One way to plan your travels is using the filters on the galaxy map. I thin it was under navigation? Where you can choose between realistic and informative map.

There you can see all faction controlled systems. Every faction controlled system has atleast one station/outpost. So that way you can plan a way through "occupied" space.

Yes please! There are a lot of good suggestions here on this thread. Jump navigation can do with a lot of useful improvements. Selecting a navigation jump endpoint and being able to select a series of numbered way-points in between would make a huge difference. It would reduce the currently tedious and repetitive task of constantly returning to the Galaxy Map, trying to remember where I was going and what the next jump should be, and improve the game experience immensely in my view. Being able to save and name a specific custom route and also being able to resume or backtrack it would also be extremely useful, especially if anything above 2-3 jumps are involved. Getting lost can be fun, but usually not so much!

I'd also be very keen to save a route so I didn't have to keep recreating it in the Galaxy Map. Also an option to hide the rest of the map and just show the planned route - that'd be very helpful.

- Merge Threads

As some unhelpful moderator merged my thread into the general Route Planner one I can no longer offer support for my tool via the forums, I'm simply not going to see anything directed at me in this huge, messy thread. Thanks mods!

Yes, another route planner. I'm using data from ED Star Coordinator's API (stored in my own local DB) and an A* search through the AI::pathfinding::AStar perl module. I pull any fresh data from EDSC every 15 minutes.

I also have at least some of the 'Permit Required' systems flagged and thus a checkbox to ignore those if you prefer. If you specify one as Origin or Destination it'll still work.

Typeahead autocompletion is present on the system names, optionally as either whole-name prefixes or just word prefixes (i.e. either 'Leo' won't match anything or it'll find things like '20 Leonis Minoris').

If anyone wants to include routes in other tools then I can see about officially supporting general use of the API call my code uses.

Last edited:
This feature is coming apparently; I can't remember which thread it was in but I remember one of the devs / community managers saying that they'd played a build with a route saver in it.

UPDATE 08/12/2014:

I want to update you on the status of Elite Dangerous Central. Today I've pushed an other update, now you can enter existing system data (like faction, economy, population, etc.), more will be coming ASAP (like commodities traded, stations and facilities). Along with it the registration/logging system is implemented (need to register to enter system data). You can browse detailed information without logging in. In addition, the route planner will show system security and allegiance if available.

There will be also minor service outages for a day or so as the hosting is pushing some upgrades.

I've slightly tweaked the algorithm (what I set the 'heuristic' to) to result in slightly fewer hops on some routes.

There's also now a limit to how hard it will try to find a route. Should only affect stupidly long routes (be that due to origin and destination being a long way from each other and/or a too-short jump range).

A few updates have gone in today:

• I renamed 'Total Distance' to 'Total Jumped' and made a new column 'Total Distance' which is the distance straight from origin to each hop.
  • Spaces at the start and end of Origin/Destination will be trimmed before submitting to the route finder. Apparently some auto-completion was at times putting a space on the end.
  • Origin and Destination are now also stored and restored on a fresh page load.
  • There's now a 'Reverse Route' button at the bottom of the list of system names. It does what it says on the tin.
  • Added indication that a route find is in progress, together with error catching/display and timeout (the ajax call used to be synchronous, now it's async).
  • There's a changelog just above 'Contact' now. Hopefully I'll remember to update it.

Oh, also if you find my route planner suggesting a route that isn't possible due to stars not being where it says they should be, then please investigate and report the discrepancies on this thread. We'll need:

1. The name of the star
  2. Whether it's actually called something else
  3. Whether it's actually in a different position

I may look into showing the co-ordinates I'm using in some manner so as to help such reports.

I seem to be having a little trouble with the tool.

Whenever I input a set of stations and a jump range (Chemaku/Ross 210 & 18LY ) in my test, I click "find route", it reloads the page but with no route or error displayed, just the input boxes cleared. I've tried it on Chrome (39.0.2171.71 m), IE 11 and Chrome on my phone, all with the same result.

Any Idea why this would be happening?

Thanks,

Jamie

I seem to be having a little trouble with the tool.

Whenever I input a set of stations and a jump range (Chemaku/Ross 210 & 18LY ) in my test, I click "find route", it reloads the page but with no route or error displayed, just the input boxes cleared. I've tried it on Chrome (39.0.2171.71 m), IE 11 and Chrome on my phone, all with the same result.

Any Idea why this would be happening?

Thanks,

Jamie

Sadly not as it's working 100% fine for me with that same Chrome version. Hit F12 and see if you're getting any errors on the Console.

Top Bottom