Elite Dangerous, the DK2 and SLI discussion thread.

Hi, before Gamma build i was running ED on my rift DK2 no problem silky smooth with my 2 superclocked EVGA 970s in SLI mode at 4K resolution using DSR X4 in my nvidea control panel, but since Gamma i get frame flickering now, has something changed that effects running DSR X4 in SLI on the rift in the latest Gamma build ? as i have not changed any setting on my PC or DK2, and if it is a problem with Gamma build for doing this will it be fixed soon please ?

As a side note i am still able to run SLI DSR X4 mode with the game on my 1920*1080 144HZ monitor without any frame flickering at all.

Awaiting a reply from a dev on this please.

Thank you.

DK2- SLI / DSR flickering thread

Commanders,

I've been searching left and right to try to find common themes on why some people can run their rift in DSR mode (i.e. render at 2560x1440, display at 1920x1080) on their DK2s without a problem, and others (like me) have a problem. My hunch is newer platforms (haswell) are OK, older platforms are not.

If you are running a DK2 with Nvidia SLI, can you post whether you have flickering or not when rendering at a higher than 1080 resolution?

My specs:
i7-2600k
Asus P67 chipset board
2 x GTX 970 SLIs
Nvidia 344.75 drivers

1920x1080 works great.
Anything higher I get flickers or a second frame that doesn't change.

I really appreciate it!

Commanders,

I've been searching left and right to try to find common themes on why some people can run their rift in DSR mode (i.e. render at 2560x1440, display at 1920x1080) on their DK2s without a problem, and others (like me) have a problem. My hunch is newer platforms (haswell) are OK, older platforms are not.

If you are running a DK2 with Nvidia SLI, can you post whether you have flickering or not when rendering at a higher than 1080 resolution?

My specs:
i7-2600k
Asus P67 chipset board
2 x GTX 970 SLIs
Nvidia 344.75 drivers

1920x1080 works great.
Anything higher I get flickers or a second frame that doesn't change.

I really appreciate it!

Have a look at this thread : https://forums.frontier.co.uk/showthread.php?t=71007

Especially about disabling your monitor when you turn your rift on,

here : How to disable your monitor,

In NVIdia set up multiple displays uncheck the monitor option... Then everytime you switch the rift on the monitor goes off. When you switch the rift off, the monitor comes back on, this fixed the flickering for me, i am now back to running DK2 at 4K using DSR on my 2 970s in SLI.

Last edited:
Excellent! This worked - I feel like a fool for not trying it with rift only on. Thank you! :)

Are you running highest settings at 4K or something lower? seems juddery for me with the 2 x 970s even when they're OC'd..

Have a look at this thread : https://forums.frontier.co.uk/showthread.php?t=71007

Especially about disabling your monitor when you turn your rift on,

here : How to disable your monitor,

In NVIdia set up multiple displays uncheck the monitor option... Then everytime you switch the rift on the monitor goes off. When you switch the rift off, the monitor comes back on, this fixed the flickering for me, i am now back to running DK2 at 4K using DSR on my 2 970s in SLI.

Shadows, Texture Quality and Reflection Quality seem to be the heavy hitters. Try turning one of those down a notch to Medium (I recommend Reflection Quality for the least impact on look). I run 2x780s which is a bit slower than 2x970s and I have many settings on Medium to get it as smooth as possible.

The monitor trick is great! I just tried this last night for the first time and it seems to really make a difference all around. We need to spread the word on that trick.

SlackR

Banned
Shadows, Texture Quality and Reflection Quality seem to be the heavy hitters. Try turning one of those down a notch to Medium (I recommend Reflection Quality for the least impact on look). I run 2x780s which is a bit slower than 2x970s and I have many settings on Medium to get it as smooth as possible.

The monitor trick is great! I just tried this last night for the first time and it seems to really make a difference all around. We need to spread the word on that trick.
Happy that this seems to be working for other people ... I just assumed it was because I was using a crappy laptop, but when I set up my new rig (SLI) I just disabled the monitor also because I saw no reason for it to be on... Had no idea it would make such a difference! :p
Was blasting away in an asteroid belt tonight with no drop in framerate or any stuttering! Am so chuffed with my investment, even though this is now officially the worlds most expensive game!

2x Dk2 ( in case one breaks ) £600
Water cooled monster rig £ 3500
4k monitor and TrackIR £600
X55 Rhino £180
ED Alpha £200
ED merchandise and books £200

Just don't tell the wife! ;)

Excellent! This worked - I feel like a fool for not trying it with rift only on. Thank you! :)

Are you running highest settings at 4K or something lower? seems juddery for me with the 2 x 970s even when they're OC'd..

I am running at max settings with 4K DSR but i have antiailiasing off/Ambient occlusion off/Blur off/ however, i also do get a bit of judder if i move my head quickly, i might try turning it down from 4K to something a bit lower in the DSR settings in Nvidea control panel and the same as you my cards are factory overclocked as standard, i got this info from SlackR and i am very glad it has helped you as well.

Last edited:
Hi
I don't have SLI but a 980gtx and wanted to have a go at DSR..do I just set the 4k option in the nvidia control panel and start elite? That's it?

Enable SLI?

This was in one of the patch notes yesterday I think it was?

"- Skip SLI/Crossfire detection if the system contains a single display adapter provided by Intel"

How does one go about enabling SLI then? Because ED is only using my primary card. And yes, I have SLI enabled on my system :p

SLI should be supported in the recent Nvidia drivers. Last time I checked(before gamma) the game was using SLI. Will check tonight again.

Make sure you enable AFR2 in the nvidia settings control panel for either global or the elite dangerous executable. They changed the name so SLI was disabled.

In the Nvidia Control panel: go to Manage 3D settings / Program settings tab.
Select Program to customise: EliteDangerous32.exe and set the SLI to Nvidia Recommended SLI.

Make sure it is the EliteDangerous32.exe not EDLauncher

In the Nvidia Control panel: go to Manage 3D settings / Program settings tab.
Select Program to customise: EliteDangerous32.exe and set the SLI to Nvidia Recommended SLI.

Make sure it is the EliteDangerous32.exe not EDLauncher

Tried that, no go. Strange :(

Added 2nd GTRX 980 (SLI) now going online or solo takes 10 minutes loading ?!

I just upgraded my specs adding a second 980 in SLI.

Now when I start a game it takes 10 minutes or more until the rotating wireframe is finished.
That's too much ;/

Anyone experienced the same ?

Writing while staring at the rotating loading screen..

It was a temporal issue that went away after some hours.
I guess there was some sort of lag, thanks for the answer Aleksej

Top Bottom