Elite Dangerous, the DK2 and SLI discussion thread.

Tested this last night:

As i come out of witch-space near the star I get a momentary drop of 50fps, but for less than a secone before jumping back up to >100Fps.

I'm running 970's in SLI at 4K DSL.

BlackReign

Banned
EVGA GTX980SC SLI thoughts

This is for anyone considering the purchase of GTX980 cards.

My config:
- i73770K @ 4.6ghz (h20 cooled)
- 2- EVGA GTX980s in SLI
- 1 - Yamakasi Sparta 30" ips monitor
- 16 GB Corsair Vengeance RAM
- 500GB SSD
- Thrustmaster Warthog
- TrackIR
- Creative xFi titanium sound

Last night I upgraded from 2 - EVGA 780TI-SC cards.

The GTX980s in SLI is clearly overkill for this game. While the 780s fluid, they did have severe slow downs in an asteroid field facing the asteroids from the lighted side. The 980s don't slow down for any reason. FPs Ranges from 120-250 (random glancing at fps counter); extremely smooth.

Sadly, ED has chronic issues with stuttering that appear to have nothing to do with the prowess of your video cards. The new cards did not remove the stuttering, nor did I expect it to.

Later, I plan to add 2 27" Yamakasi Catleaps for the sides, so there's plenty of unused video power to handle this.

Is it worth it? Unless you plan on eventually using multiple monitors, I'd say no. Nvidia and AMD provide more cost effective cards.

I love my 980 sc. It's just eats this game on max settings. Gforce experience just upgraded me from 1908x1080 to 2560x1980 DSR :)

I have SLI 970s running a 1440p 110hz overclocked IPS monitor. Rock solid 110fps every where except resource extraction site with other ships in the area. It nearly halfs my fps. Im hoping this gets addressed.

Also approaching planets in supercruise gives bad stutters and fps drops.

A single Asus 980 Strix will run ED in 4k @60hz perfectly happily, even in RES. It looks wonderful too!

Last edited:
You can pick up a brand new Qnix 27in 2560x1440 overclockable monitor with an IPS screen (the best quality screen) for £195 delivered. Stunning image.

BlackReign

Banned
What is your appreciation of the Yamakasi monitor? I've been looking at those a while now...

I'm a freelance photog on the side, so IQ is paramount. It's IQ is outstanding. The monitor has no adjustments other than brightness, but there is no need to calibrate the color. Just as accurate as my friends Apple cinema display.

Response time is 6ms, but to me, there's no ghosting or perceived lag.

There is one negative with this monitor: When my system turns off the display, sometimes when it comes back on, the display is "tiling" the desktop. I have to reset the power supply or reboot to fix. I returned the first one that did this to Amazon, and the second one did the same thing. Regardless of which video cards used. I do have a new dual link dvi cable I will try tonight as I'm currently using the one that came with the monitor.

Outside of this PITA issue, the monitor is simply stunning.

Also, I never used the stand, but used it's VESA mounts to put on the wall (bolted to a stud).

The game basically runs near-perfectly at 1080p on my 7850 OC, which is around the level of an R9 270 or GTX 660 Ti I believe. I would assume some more grunt will be needed in future for planetary landings though.

As I recently went from a triple 1080p surround setup running off a pair of SLI'd 660Tis to a single 1440p monitor running off a single 970 and haven't had a bit of stuttering since the change, I'd venture to guess the SLI profile for Elite is not optimized yet. You should try just one card and see if that makes a difference for you.

SLI not working

Finally got a second card, got everything up and running in SLI. All games run fine.. except the game I got SLI for lol. When trying to launch ED in SLI all I get is a black screen and it hangs up not letting me tab out or kill the task. Everything is still running fine in the background ( had youtube playing) I disable SLI, it works fine, I try each card individually, it works fine. I have tried updated drivers, rolled back drivers, and still I get the same issue. I have also tried to force it to work in SLI for ED, same issue. Black screen and manual reset of pc. Any suggestions?

SLI Focus Issue

So I have an I5 3570 OC'd with 8 GB ram and GTX 2x980 SLI running in max performance mode. I was not able to get Rift direct mode running. In extended I am not able to get E:D running on the Rift if the Rift is set to be the Primary display in a dual screen setup.

Running the Rift as secondary does not get the focus for SLI. That being said, I can run DSR at 1440 and ultra mode and the only time it stutters is in the starports.

The only way I have been able to get the Rift to take the SLI focus was to unplug my desktop monitor. In this configuration, I can run at DSR 1440 in ultra mode with no issues even in the starports.

I am using Nvidia driver 344.48. Has anyone been able to get the Rift to be the SLI focus monitor with both the Rift and a desktop monitor connected?

Thanks!

SLI Support

When is SLI support going to happen, please do not tell me that It is not a priority because ensuring that the graphics work correctly in your game must be a priority when Star Citizen is only round the corner.

I want to support Elite but if you do not consider the graphics in your game to be important then what is. The last game I had which would not support SLI was Call of Duty Modern Warfare and that was fixed within a few weeks of release.

On an SLI machine the graphics jerk, when going to stations it just freezes. I have SLI Nvidia 760's and I have the latest drivers, I have tried only one card to run for this game but nothing fixes it. I have put in over sixty hours so far but it comes to a point that if you do not think the experience of the game is important then maybe I should be looking at Star Citizen and put my money there as maybe that my money being spend with your competitors is the only way of getting through to you.

Obviously I can't speak for your experience, but SLi works fine for me. I run a DK2 with a pair of GTX 970s at 2715x1527 oversampled and have no problems at all in the majority of situations. In top end luxury stations I can see a little framerate drop, but that's about it (and I am pushing the limits at the resolution I run at on the DK2).

Last edited:
SLI works fine... if it is not working for you then put in a ticket. It has worked for quite a while now. go to the nvidia control panel and in "manage 3d settings" click on the programs settings tab and select ED from the list, this will enable the SLI profile for it. (if it isn't in the list then you can search for the launcher and exe files manually and add them. nvidia has had a profile for Elite for quite some time now and they have recently updated it a couple of releases ago.

gForce 970 SLI ...how to downsample

Could anyone help me with how to downsample when using 2 GTX970s
I still can't reall read the text in game very well

Thanks a lot!

Top Bottom