96 hours to locate a base...? SHENANIGANS!!!!

I thought the camera angle was deliberately placed as a 'reveal' for the stars. Remembering that there was a classic discovery of something in the game (can't remember what it was now) from the stars/nebulae, that FD didn't anticipate, they have always been careful in other videos not to reveal the stars. But this time they have, which makes me think it's a big hint.

Except we haven't worked it out !

It is kind of strange that these super-explorers claim to be able to find stuff by looking at the sky and yet haven't managed to do that, here, but have managed to find a completely different thing instead.

It's kind of like saying you were able to find the location of the only petrol-station in rural Kentucky by looking at a map of Spain.

rootsrat

Volunteer Moderator
If that base was found by cheating, aka looking in the game files and then announced as "oh look I found it first!" kind of a thing, that is really, really low.

OP: Yes, its like FD are saying, Mission successful - somebody found it!

But from our (the players) point of view, the chances of being that somebody are astronomical.

I appreciate not everybody can "rescue the princess" but while FD may love it, reading about somebody else's success in Galnet doesn't really do it for me - it needs to be more personal - for me at least.

It is kind of strange that these super-explorers claim to be able to find stuff by looking at the sky and yet haven't managed to do that, here, but have managed to find a completely different thing instead.

It's kind of like saying you were able to find the location of the only petrol-station in rural Kentucky by looking at a map of Spain.

No unfortunately the sky box cop out is just that.
You need 6 fixed points in space in order to find something in three dimensions. You also have to know the distances involved or the relative position of the origin. None of that was provided.

The only way it could be represented in ED is if you fly way outside of the system to get the clearest view with no light interference. Then they would have to give the players a 360 degree field of view in order to find those 6 points. You would also need to know how bright their points of references should be based upon distances. of which I know FDEV has said is not accurate. Since that is the case, then in that 360 degree view the person would have to select a star and get the distance to said star for each of the 6 points. Otherwise it doesnt work.

Using the stars to navigate the ocean works because the earth is a known point in space. The origin and destination is always on the same relative plane. That is not the case with astro navigation. Hence why its not a viable or believable way to find anything in space using a 2D flat video of stars. So as soon as you hear someone say that to you, then you can pretty much guarantee they are trying to deceive you.

Last edited:
I vote shenanigans as well for all the reasons stated and ALSO because I think cookiejarviz has been dead silent since the discovery, in effect fanning the flames of suspicion. I'd be interested to hear from him on this, otherwise all we have from him is a load of suspicious posts leading up to the discovery of the base.

No unfortunately the sky box cop out is just that...

To be fair, it's not a complete cop-out.

There are times when, for example, I've seen screenies of things and noticed stuff like Nebula, the type of star or a pattern of stars in the sky and then, in the course of playing, I've noticed the same things in the sky and been able to think "Hey! I'm in the same place I saw in those screenies!"
In that case, though, I'm using other methods to get to places and then I'm just confirming my location by looking at the sky.

To actually locate something, for the first time, by that method seems incredibly tenuous to me.
It might be possible in conjunction with a process of elimination, where you dismiss systems with the wrong type of star, the wrong types of planet or the wrong population/state but it'd be a long-shot by itself.

I vote game hack. FD show a picture of something new. Maybe because of past events change the stars in the background. Somebody finds it within days.

To be fair, it's not a complete cop-out.

There are times when, for example, I've seen screenies of things and noticed stuff like Nebula, the type of star or a pattern of stars in the sky and then, in the course of playing, I've noticed the same things in the sky and been able to think "Hey! I'm in the same place I saw in those screenies!"
In that case, though, I'm using other methods to get to places and then I'm just confirming my location by looking at the sky.

To actually locate something, for the first time, by that method seems incredibly tenuous to me.
It might be possible in conjunction with a process of elimination, where you dismiss systems with the wrong type of star, the wrong types of planet or the wrong population/state but it'd be a long-shot by itself.

Yes you could indeed get into a general area with an image. But that general area would 1000 sqaure light years in size and many millions if not billions of land able planets to check.

It's like these "added mysterious things" in all patchnotes.
Don't have the link but wasn't there a statement of one of the devs that stuff is ingame since release that no one has found yet?
Seeing how stuff gets "revealed" shortly after release (megaships etc) this really feels odd.

Has your inbox been over flowing with pm's from all that want to know? :)

About finding things. As I recall, someone found something that was in a video that was released by Fdev a good while back. They found it by matching up the star pattern in the background and then had an Idea of where it was and then searched until it was found. I dont know who done that but they are a lot smarter than I and a lot of other people in the ways of astronomy. That was nothing short of amazing. As I recall. the next released video teaser had the star background removed. lol Someone will have to refresh my memory on what that was. Might have been the ruins or maybe it was a Thargoid crash site. Not to mention, when there is a LOT of people out looking for things, someone is bound to come across it sooner or later.

I am pretty sure the Astronomers they employ and Braben saw right through that one right away. But it made for a cool story so they rolled with it. I dont blame them, it was getting stale at that time.

I am pretty sure the Astronomers they employ and Braben saw right through that one right away. But it made for a cool story so they rolled with it. I dont blame them, it was getting stale at that time.

And, of course, the whole thing with redacting parts of video's which give away "clues" just creates even more intrigue... which is handy for the purposes of generating publicity and distracting people from more questionable possibilities.

Parsing through game files or scraping the network data wouldn't be unheard of. It's happened before, even to this game, so certainly possible.

However it's being done, I had my doubts before when guys were lining up stars from cutscenes. Given how this one was found cements it for me. At least, until CJ pops in and says, "Oh! I found this code on a newsfeed at this station. And it pointed to this planet." Then what else are we supposed to think.

It wasn't a hunch. He didn't line up stars. Frankly, I don't think any of the other secrets were found that way either. Some guys have a method to finding these and like the engineer exploits, are keeping it quiet.

Last edited:
Thargoid scout ship find is likely to have been legit

Can't vouch for the INRA site, but I found the Thargoid Scout wreck on my own by following clues. Sort of. I think part of the disovery might be down to a bug in the game where if you scan one site in a system, you will get markers for others added to your left-hand panel (have we confirmed that this is in fact a bug?)

Anyway there's a decent breadcrumb trail that leads you close to the scout crash:

The survey vessel Victoria's Song is in HIP 17125, in orbit near the crash site of the scout. I found Victoria's Song by following the signal match from a Listening Post in Pleiades IH-V c2-5, which I visited because it is one of the systems mentioned in
GalNet as having been hit by Thargoid attacks (and there are indeed additional points of interest to be found in the system which are directly related to the GalNet article). The Listening Post points to HIP 17125, and if you fly around and scan (or at least approach within 1000ls) every planet in the system, which I always do; you'll eventually find Victoria's Song. After I finished up at Victoria's Song, I noticed the Crash Site as a POI on my left-hand panel, so I flew there and found it. Now, if its appearance on my left-hand panel was due to a bug and hence not an intentional part of the game's flow; I have no idea how anyone was supposed to find it. To the best of my knowledge there are no listening posts or other in-game clues which point to the crash site specifically.

FDev would have to be caught murdering puppies or some such everytime I fire up the game to make me quit.

My inner projectionist has unfortunately already loaded that reel.
And now I can't unsee Ed and Braben in some dank basement with wire cages, blood on the walls, hammers in their hands and the air full of pathetic whimpering.

Top Bottom