I am calling Shenanigans. This is not the first time something like this has happened, and yet it was never THIS obvious.
Let me back up. While my IQ isn't all that high, probably mid double digits, I have often wondered about the probability of a lone explorer finding a McGuffin that furthers the game canon in a game with a 1:1 scale galaxy.
(In no particular order... and I have more, but haven't had enough coffee yet to remember them all)
* Jaques station goes missing. Everyone is wondering where it might be. A lone explorer finds it 21k lightyears away... Huh. Wow, that's pretty dang cool.
* There are capital ships in the game. Oh, here is how I found them.... Huh. That's cool. Um... ok.
* Alien probes, planetary barnacles, unknown artifacts... Huh. That's... odd. How did you locate... nevermind, I wanna go see 'em too.
* Thargoids are coming. You can get a really cool, really scary cutscene if you go to THIS area of space while carrying THIS specific item on board. Huh... now just how in the blue blazes did you know... you know what, I'm sold. I wanna do that too.
* Less than 96 hours after seeing an old Inara Base for less than 2 seconds in an already busy trailer, said base is found.
Ok. Look, I get it. there are 400 BILLION (say it like Carl Sagan!) star systems. Devs want to advance the story. Get the word out. Get everyone excited about something coming down the pipeline. But, come on... really?? This just has the overt feeling of someone from Frontier telling a buddy to go look at this system, these co-ords.
If you are going to be cryptic and say there are still lots of mysteries from day 1 yet to be discovered in the main bubble, yet this happens so soon after seeing it at FdevCon or whatever it was... that's just shenanigans.
Look, you have me. I am playing your game. In fact, it's on another screen as I type this. I really, really love this game. No matter how many times I take a break from playing, no matter how long that brake may be... I am still here. I am still playing. I have invested SO much time into this game, and I am not sorry one bit. It is my little slice of heaven in a world gone mad. But ... really? REALLY?!? How about just leaving breadcrumbs in the GalNet and let us find stuff?
If I was that lucky, I would buy lottery tickets.
Sorry. End of Not Enough Coffee Rant.
Just wanted to clear up that we absolutely do not feed groups with any private, secret or privileged information in order to progress the story.
In all honesty, we're consistently blown away by how quickly players find these things we've put in to the game. Players have used star maps, trailers, and lots of other different ways to find interesting locations in the past. Ways we didn't expect... ways that challenge us to make even more interesting and tricky ways to unlock new information.
It's worth mentioning that data mining is against the EULA, and we do not condone this way of gaining data or information about the game (or other similar ways of obtaining this information that goes way above my technical understanding). We implore people to not spoil the experience of others... it's just not cool quite frankly.
Once again, the implication that we're feeding information to players is incorrect, and that sort of speculation is potentially harmful... so try to avoid doing that. Thanks.