96 hours to locate a base...? SHENANIGANS!!!!

The weird thing about the latest one is the flimsy story, for as far as I get it. Supposedly based on the skybox the dude ends up finding a totally different base. Its like using a secret treasure map bought from a sketchy dude in Manhattan only to find, purely by accident, a secret Russian naval base on the other side of the planet.

Ofcourse, nonsense stories dont mean you can replace them with an unproven theory of yourself. Could easily be he used some trick he doesnt want others to know.

Last edited:
The weird thing about the latest one is the flimsy story, for as far as I get it. Supposedly based on the skybox the dude ends up finding a totally different base. Its like using a secret treasure map bought from a sketchy dude in Manhattan only to find, purely by accident, a secret Russian naval base on the other side of the planet.

Ofcourse, nonsense stories dont mean you can replace them with an unproven theory of yourself. Could easily be he used some trick he doesnt want others to know.

Either way, someone at Frontier should give this a closer look. Somehow a specific player has a method to finding things that nobody else has. Should probably fix that.

I must say I do find the finding of the Thargoid scout and the INRA base a bit hard to believe. I mean, I get that you can do sky-box triangulation and stuff to _maybe_ get to the right planet but do you know how big a planet is?!?! I mean, if someone pointed me at Earth and told me to find, errr, I dunno ... the site of the Burning Man festival (i.e. something quite big who's location I don't already know) ... it would take months if not years.

Some interesting comments from the INRA thread in response to "how was it found" ..

Just to be clear Alec, although skybox matching has been used in the past (for example the Guardian ruins) it had nothing to do with finding the one in that thread because it's not the base from the Expo trailer. As for the planet the base that has been found is on, I actually calculated its surface area yesterday - its radius is 906km so I get that to be about 10.3 million km2.

Or someone naughty looked inside the game files to get the information in the way that it's not supposed to be obtained. Also known a cheating.

Why blame the developer straight away?

That's "Data Mining" - not really cheating. Data mining often provides the info players use to play the game better. Like armour values, hidden damage resistance table, upcoming new content, hidden storylines to explore, unfinished levels, stuff modders can use, etc. etc.

To be honest, though, the trailer they showed at FX 2017 was what was in store for the next couple of weeks. It's almost been a week since that, so the discovery of the base so soon isn't exactly a surprise.

But yeah, it would be nice to know how it was found. Was it random, does someone have a keen eye, or something else?

Raxxla - found it 4 months ago. Still haven't said where. Not going to either.

How? Pure chance.

Has your inbox been over flowing with pm's from all that want to know? :)

About finding things. As I recall, someone found something that was in a video that was released by Fdev a good while back. They found it by matching up the star pattern in the background and then had an Idea of where it was and then searched until it was found. I dont know who done that but they are a lot smarter than I and a lot of other people in the ways of astronomy. That was nothing short of amazing. As I recall. the next released video teaser had the star background removed. lol Someone will have to refresh my memory on what that was. Might have been the ruins or maybe it was a Thargoid crash site. Not to mention, when there is a LOT of people out looking for things, someone is bound to come across it sooner or later.

Last edited:
A few things, Jacques was found cause the system showed up as "Independent" on the galaxy map. So amongst all these grey dots there was a bright yellow one. FD forgot to reset that. And it still took a long time.

The capital ships were found because there were clues and directions left behind. It really wasn't that difficult once we started finding the clues.

Barnacles were in the game for months until someone found one. And once we knew they were in/around nebula's others started being found too. I suspect we've only found a small portion of them. Not that it matters, they've all been the same. The Unknown Artifacts were in USS sites. And not that uncommon either. Wasn't exactly a needle in a haystack. Unknown Probes WERE a needle in a haystack and took forever to find. The first bunch were in highly guarded military convoy's and we only managed to get a few of them. Took months before someone found one orbiting an Ammonia world, and they're fairly common there. Surprised it took us that long, frankly. The Thargoid/Ammonia world connection has been known to us the whole time. It made sense. Plus, the devs confirmed there was an easier way to find them other than the convoys so we were intentionally looking for USS's that had them.

The Thargoids would hyperdict you randomly around the Pleiades. You didn't have to have any item in your hold. That was fake news.

The INRA base? Yeah that one stinks. Within a few days after being revealed, someone knew EXACTLY which planet to look at and apparently where on the planet to find it. We've seen how long it takes to find bases on these planets with the Formidine Rift bases, and it's longer than a couple guys spending a weekend.

Dont forget the Guardian Bases, All of the crash sites. You know the most significant findings since launch. Also not findable using any method other than looking into the code or dumb luck. I am leaning toward the looking at the code here. Otherwise with the luck that these people have displayed they have a better chance of winning every single lottery on this planet for an entire year, than they would have at being at the exact right spot.

That's "Data Mining" - not really cheating. Data mining often provides the info players use to play the game better. Like armour values, hidden damage resistance table, upcoming new content, hidden storylines to explore, unfinished levels, stuff modders can use, etc. etc.

Its against the EULA and in some cases its considered digital theft and is punishable by law. Playing better and cheating are not the same thing.

There is sort of an answer to this problem.

Don't watch ED on YouTube and avoid the threads for a bit.

I had a ball doing that from when 2.4 dropped and only logged in here last Friday I think.... Found loads of stuff for myself, most of it well documented but who cares... Nobody had scrawled "I was here first" on it so it felt pretty good to me.

You Tube is the killer of all fun for this game - Got my first interdiction and I really , really wish I hadn't watch a clip of it before it happened.

I do like the hive mind for somethings and I think I'll keep checking in here from time to time but - if you read about it all and then play the game? kinda spoiling your own fun

Last edited by a moderator:
There is sort of an answer to this problem.

Don't watch ED on YouTube and avoid the threads for a bit.

That's a nice idea, but if you avoided the forums and Youtube you'd never know anything existed at all, much less where to find it.
100% certain people are fed certain bits of information. The in-game storytelling just isn't there so rather than build something immersive FD lean on the old "let a few highly visible players in on the secret" crutch and hope that's enough to mobilise the player base.

That's a nice idea, but if you avoided the forums and Youtube you'd never know anything existed at all, much less where to find it.
100% certain people are fed certain bits of information. The in-game storytelling just isn't there so rather than build something immersive FD lean on the old "let a few highly visible players in on the secret" crutch and hope that's enough to mobilise the player base.

If true, it destroys any impartiality that Frontier possesses, on anything.

Someone has to clean the FD offices! - What's the chances of a cleaner at FD also playing Elite? Pretty High! - Also who empties the bins? - Surely a good source of secrets!

Top Bottom