A Call For Frontier To Put VR Legs On The Upcoming Road Map

Status
Thread Closed: Not open for further replies.
Been using a quest 2 for a week or so now, Elite Dangerous in VR is probably the best game I've tried in VR so far.
Its a shame that when you are on foot its just a flat screen.
I too would like to add my name to the list of people wanting VR on foot ! :)

As a long player or ED but a brand new player of ED in VR I get it! It's an amazing experience. I can't see myself NOT playing in VR from now on. I'm not dure if/when fdev will do it but I'd love it if they did.

lol @ this thread initially calling for VR legs on the upcoming roadmap. Not only did VR never happen, neither did the roadmap. It's been fun watching the cycle of requests for better communication followed by Frontier setting up some kind of weekly commitment to do X or Y livestream or forum feedback conversation or update or whatever, and then never making it last for more than 3 weeks before something comes up like "oh no Discovery Scanner today, what with the rain and all, but we'll be back next week," and then going completely silent for 3+ months. I sure hope FDev is a fun, relaxed, and pleasant place to work, and that everyone is being paid well. If the type of output we've seen is the result of anything other than people not getting around to things because they're too busy living their lives to the fullest, I will be very sad.

Congratulations BL1P And Dewson for trying VR in Elite, it truly elevates Elite to a new level.
You get a gaming experience like no other.

In Steam there is a old FREE VR program “ the Lab “ it a ton of fun in VR…… did I mention it’s free

Congratulations BL1P And Dewson for trying VR in Elite, it truly elevates Elite to a new level.
You get a gaming experience like no other.

In Steam there is a old FREE VR program “ the Lab “ it a ton of fun in VR…… did I mention it’s free
Thanks for the tip.

Does anybody know while playing ODY in VR does the Gad awful grey frame go away while you are jumping your carrier and then comes right back?

Does anybody know while playing ODY in VR does the Gad awful grey frame go away while you are jumping your carrier and then comes right back?

It goes away because witchspace in a carrier is a loading screen just like it is in a ship - from memory you can look around just as you can in witchspace in any other ship, but of course, once the loading screen ends you're back in the standard letterbox view. :)

It goes away because witchspace in a carrier is a loading screen just like it is in a ship - from memory you can look around just as you can in witchspace in any other ship, but of course, once the loading screen ends you're back in the standard letterbox view. :)
Thanks.

I would love to know how many active VR players are/were out there, how much it would cost Frontier to tackle getting onfoot VR as a paid side expansion/mod without having to compromise on other Elite developments, and how much VR players would pay to make it happen? I'm not sure what my top amount would be but I would be interested in contributing to make it happen.

As some non vr games can be modded to work in vr, sort of, couldn't a compromise be reached where vr was available in odyssey for solo play only?

I would love to know how many active VR players are/were out there
Probably not a significant number.
... how much it would cost Frontier to tackle getting onfoot VR as a paid side expansion/mod without having to compromise on other Elite developments,
Good question - wait for the "one man added VR into the game in just a day" comment...
and how much VR players would pay to make it happen?
A fortune, until it was aked for?
I'm not sure what my top amount would be but I would be interested in contributing to make it happen.
Even I'd be happy to pay a tenner (£10) as a minor expansion for such.

Probably not a significant number.
I agree that it's going to be niche, though I want to clarify that I'm not looking to cast the spotlight on it to discourage, but it is a reality that we have to acknowledge first before thinking about anything further.

Good question - wait for the "one man added VR into the game in just a day" comment...
lol. I hope it is that easy because....

Even I'd be happy to pay a tenner (£10) as a minor expansion for such.
... I don't think £10 is going to cut it :)

One thing that is worth considering I think, at least from Frontier's perspective, is that having a full VR implementation would put Elite into the demonstration of VR capability territory, so from a marketing standpoint it may have some extra value there for them. I'm sure having the original Elite Dangerous release being VR capable helped sell it and also create a buzz. I'm certainly glad they did as Elite in VR, even with my less than optimal setup, is a pretty amazing experience.

... I don't think $10 is going to cut it :)
I don't think it would pay for development cost, indeed, but is a 'reasonable' price point for a minor add-on.
One thing that is worth considering, at least from Frontier's perspective, is that having a full VR implementation would put Elite into the demonstration of VR capability territory, so from a marketing standpoint it may have some extra value there for them. I'm sure having the original Elite Dangerous release being VR capable helped sell it and also create a buzz. I'm certainly glad they did as Elite in VR, even with my less than optimal setup, is a pretty amazing experience.
The issue to a 'full VR implementation' is that controller support would need to be supported also, otherwise all that would exist is the current glorified VR headlook that exists in EDH/EDO today, which couldn't wear the mantle of "full VR" to gain attention from the VR promotors.

I, personally, do not have too much of an issue in taking off the HMD for EDO's on-foot, although I prefer to play pancake and save the inconvenience if I am setting off to do a lot of on-foot play in a session.

It will be interesting to see if Frontier ever revisit VR in ED, and how they might change things if they did.

I would love to know how many active VR players are/were out there, how much it would cost Frontier to tackle getting onfoot VR as a paid side expansion/mod without having to compromise on other Elite developments, and how much VR players would pay to make it happen? I'm not sure what my top amount would be but I would be interested in contributing to make it happen.
dunno how many there are............. but i would wager an amount that it is less than there were.

I know it well and truly cooled my jets on the game I have over 2500 hrs in ED:H and probably less than 30 in ED:O (and i have not played ED:H for more than maybe 2 hrs since ED:O dropped).
I already paid for all expansions for Elite so my voice has zero weight (not that it had much anyway) but there is absolutely no chance I would have bought ED:O because of this. Yes i accept i am a minority, but i cant be the only one who feels this way.

Status
Thread Closed: Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom