A Case Against Supermodule CG Rewards

And if you really want to militate for something, the start with the removal of all the exclusive rewards in the game... the C4, the special Paints, the special decals, the legacy engineered modules and so on.

Special paints and decals aren't a performance boost and is standard practice in many games, and as such is fine.

And yes, legacy engineered modules absolutely should've been removed/converted because there are still many (including some I have myself) that're significantly better than what's currently available. The reason I'm not posting about that (anymore) is because that happened several years ago and is considered a lost battle by most people who care. CG rewards are happening now, so now seems like the pertinent time to speak up about it.

A 6ly range boost is a significant improvement, I simply don't agree with the arguments above that "it's just 10% it's no big deal!" because as has already been mentioned for buckyballers for example that's a huge improvement and yet another module to police when organising community events. Just as 10% extra damage on a weapon, or 10% extra speed on drives would be extremely unfair in combat. However, even if it were as insignificant as you say - it's a point of principle; handing out time-limited performance enhancing unobtanium to a small section of the playerbase in a multiplayer game is widely recognised as poor form for good reason.

Look, I recognise this won't affect that many people and I know a ton of players don't play this game as a multiplayer game and never will. That's fine. I also recognise that some people aren't as competitive as others won't be irritated by the knowledge that their ships are permanently less capable than their friends'. I also admit that on one level I myself am pretty chuffed about my amazing FSD and I can perfectly understand why those that got it would want to justify keeping it and selfishly feelin' all glowy and special. It's just very questionable game design and there are other ways to drive player engagement than this.

Special paints and decals aren't a performance boost and is standard practice in many games, and as such is fine.

And yes, legacy engineered modules absolutely should've been removed/converted because there are still many (including some I have myself) that're significantly better than what's currently available. The reason I'm not posting about that (anymore) is because that happened several years ago and is considered a lost battle by most people who care. CG rewards are happening now, so now seems like the pertinent time to speak up about it.

A 6ly range boost is a significant improvement, I simply don't agree with the arguments above that "it's just 10% it's no big deal!" because as has already been mentioned for buckyballers for example that's a huge improvement and yet another module to police when organising community events. Just as 10% extra damage on a weapon, or 10% extra speed on drives would be extremely unfair in combat. However, even if it were as insignificant as you say - it's a point of principle; handing out time-limited performance enhancing unobtanium to a small section of the playerbase in a multiplayer game is widely recognised as poor form for good reason.

Look, I recognise this won't affect that many people and I know a ton of players don't play this game as a multiplayer game and never will. That's fine. I also recognise that some people aren't as competitive as others won't be irritated by the knowledge that their ships are permanently less capable than their friends'. I also admit that on one level I myself am pretty chuffed about my amazing FSD and I can perfectly understand why those that got it would want to justify keeping it and selfishly feelin' all glowy and special. It's just very questionable game design and there are other ways to drive player engagement than this.

How about the 30% bonus from the premium ammo?
Sure they are not time limited offers, but some people simply cannot afford those, while others do not get in combat without them

What i'm trying to say is that effort based disparities will always be in game pretty much like old guy / new guy disparities.
As been pointed out, unless they offer game breaking advantages - i think they are an welcome addition

Yes buckyballers will have an extra check-up if they dont intend to allow them in racing. But that is just another (small) community rule that does not affect normal players
Pretty much like the PVP rules that some PVP communities try to enforce (like no menu logging, no missiles, whatever) - do not affect the player base.

What i'm trying to say is that effort based disparities will always be in game

Sorry but you're being incredibly disingenuous here. Comparing premium synth, which is something that can be obtained at any time, to items locked to specific CGs on specific dates is not a solid argument.

Sorry but you're being incredibly disingenuous here. Comparing premium synth, which is something that can be obtained at any time, to items locked to specific CGs on specific dates is not a solid argument.

I see little difference between:
i missed the cg because i didnt had time to participate
and
i dont have time to farm for materials needed for premium ammo
and
engineering sux because i hate the effort it takes to unlock engineers and farm the materials, i simply dont have time for that.

The last 2 can be game breaking
An extra 5ly jump range FSD module is not game breaking especially when it comes with some drawbacks (more heat generation, less integrity)

Sure, it would be nice to be offered more often - like yearly events - and currently there is no indication that it will not be awarded again in the near future
So why dont we ask for that? To be made a recurring reward for certain CGs? (although i do have 2 of them already, for both my accounts)

Well, this problem could be solved easily enough by my Museum of Technology concept, or something equivalent. Somewhere difficult to reach, where anyone who wants a restricted module badly enough could "do a quest" to get one from the museum's stock.

But this should remain enough of a challenge to encourage people to actually earn it via the CG if they are able to.

Then you're being absurd.

No, i'm just pushing it a bit to show you there will always be discrepancies between players.
Removing the new and nice and not-game-breaking (IMO) rewards - aka the specially engineered modules, will not help with that.

As i said, there are chances those rewards will be recast in future CG

Meh, I'm thinking they are planning to make the double engineering possible in Odyssey and are testing the concepts and their reception a little.

You're not 'pushing it a bit' you're conflating two entirely different forms of gating and setting up a strawman.

So you do think there are no discrepancies between players?
There are no Haves and Have-Nots in ED?

There is no strawman. This is about missed opportunities. Nothing more. Nothing less.

I don't like timed rewards. No matter what, I feel like I should do the CG to get the stuff to make sure I don't feel like I missed something maybe very useful at some point. But I am annoyed by this at the same time. It makes me like the game less.

So how about - if FD really have to add these rewards - add them as rewards for some of the most difficult normal missions? That way everyone can get them at least at some point in time with enough effort and some luck.

I'm fully expecting repeat offers of those modules, so if you missed it at one CG, you'd have another opportunity of getting one in the future.

If you could just get these through normal gameplay, then it wouldn't be producing such an effect at driving CG participation with the reward in mind.

They aren't making you spend real money for an advantage at these which would be a very real issue and abuse of FOMO, they are just rewarding you for playing the game with a specific goal/period.

Last edited:

Deleted member 38366

D
What if....

...after a certain period of time (debatable, let's say x months) the Tech Brokers catch up and offer i.e. a 90% performance variant of these Blueprints (Industrial Mass Production version) to everyone?

Balancing Options :
  • the Tech Broker Blueprints have slightly worse Stats than the exclusive ones handed out as CG rewards (merely to maintain their exclusive status, they'll still be the best)
  • the time delay is variable, as desired
  • the difficulty (requirements) to unlock can be varied as well to match the quality of the Module (by that time there will be plenty of reliable feedback, sexy Module = higher requirements)

That way both things could peacefully co-exist.
  • CG runners get and maintain their exclusive rewards, making these modules special (unique Premium Quality variant) and can utilize them exclusively for a period of time
  • "latecomers" still get a shot at the Modules eventually (High Quality variant for mass production) they find interesting... at the price of having to unlock them with varying amount of effort needed
  • Tech brokers are also available at Colonia, so even they wouldn't be left out

I'd say that would work and make everyone happy.

Jesus christ, Northpin

Lets keep Jesus out of this :D

No really... if i feel like it, i can put 60h in a week into ED.
While there are people that complained it takes them 3 weeks to go to Colonia, simply because they can play only 2h per week.
Do you think the 2 types of players should get the same perks from the game?
The latter player will always miss some game content.

So again, i will reiterate my opinion: i think the timed rewards are a nice addition to the game and i'd like to see them stay.
And i'd also like to see them being recast as rewards in future CG, for the people that missed them the first time and/or for the new people

How about the 30% bonus from the premium ammo?
Sure they are not time limited offers, but some people simply cannot afford those, while others do not get in combat without them

False equivalence.

Everyone with access to Horizons can afford premium ammo. No one currently lacking a certain legacy module can ever afford a legacy module.

So you do think there are no discrepancies between players?
There are no Haves and Have-Nots in ED?

There is no strawman. This is about missed opportunities. Nothing more. Nothing less.

The content of your post is the strawman.

No one is arguing that there are no discrepancies, or even that their should not be discrepancies.

Plenty of people take issue with those discrepancies being down to nothing other than chance and Frontier fiat.

I'm fully expecting repeat offers of those modules, so if you missed it at one CG, you'd have another opportunity of getting one in the future.

Not an improvement.

If you could just get these through normal gameplay, then it wouldn't be producing such an effect at driving CG participation with the reward in mind.

If standard/fungible rewards can't drive participation and the cause behind the CG can't drive participation, something is fundamentally wrong with the CG (well, the whole CG system, actually).

It's not the same thing and the reason everyone is calling you disingenuous is because you know it's not the same thing lol

Absolute circus-tier argument "Time-limited, best in slot equipment is actually perfectly fine because some players are taller than others" grow up mate :V

No, it's about being in the right place at the right time an putting the right amount of effort.

I want a C4 - yet i cant get one... Because it was a time limited opportunity and i missed it.. by about 2-3 years

And my Epic Alt also missed the FSD and it will miss the DSS too... 🤷‍♂️
And i have no problem with it, but i do hope they will re-issue those special rewards rather sooner than later.

Top Bottom