A good proposition to improve open play mode

Deleted member 169557

D
I have already opened this thread elsewhere, but I think I did it where it was not correct and they have removed it.
My proposal is to make the most attractive open game.
For a couple of weeks now I have been testing the PVP pirate role and I have noticed that when trying to assault a cargo ship, almost always, the unfortunate player just disconnects and this completely breaks the game.
I propose: that when a player is playing in open game, add bonuses from all sources (money, points ...) obviously this bonus would be an extra percentage of benefits that will depend on the time he is playing in open game mode and when disconnect, this counter returns to 0%.
In this way, it forces the player to think twice before disconnecting to save his cargo or ship and would encourage the need to seek protection from other commanders who guard his back.

It is a subject that can be polished, of course, but I think it would be a very good solution. Every miner appreciates an extra after an effort to survive successfully, every pirate will appreciate that the game does not break when it does its own thing and every merchant thanks a bonus for having arrived safely despite the interdictions suffered by other players. And all this without prohibiting disconnections, which would be very controversial and on the contrary rewarding persistence in the game.

An effort to enrich the game and the interaction between players is always good.

Thank you all for participating!

o?

Last edited by a moderator:
You should probably rephrase the title to something like "loose new open play bonus when logging out" or similar and let the community give you an inclination whether it is good or not. I like the Idea.

At least it's not an open only thread.
Anytime your play style revolves around live players being your victims, you are going to run into issues. High wake, change mode, block, go back to playing without the PvPer that tried to play with them ever bothering them again.

It always comes down to the victim's play style not needing the pirates or gankers, while the pirate's and ganker's play style needs victims. As long as menu log, and block exists, that is going to be the way of it.

While being interdicted by other players in Open Play is fairly rare, when they do the vast majority of attackers will just try to kill you as fast as possible rather than attempt any sort of piracy. Unfortunately for the small number of players attempting to be pirates, that playstyle has been well and truly poisoned by those players. Any system that tries to get victims to sit still and die for the entertainment of other players is going to be difficult to sell.

Open only yup. Don't give a rats ass what anyone says. We all should experience it in one world. Rough with the smooth. It'll balance out.
Reloggin blocked
Exploits blocked
Yup all the above and more.
Don't care who I upset anymore...ha!

open play mode must be the only mode

PC player.
Open only yup.

PC player.

When you 2 figure out how to cover the cost for console players who got the game, never intending to ‘enjoy’ other players but would be forced, under your plans, to pay a subscription to allow for an open only game, then we can discuss. If your only idea is that I, as a console player, should pay a subscription to improve your game, it’s a non-starter.

Open only would make sense to me also but there are some legitimate reasons for have solo and private groups. When other threads have suggested similar ideas of weighting rewards for playing in open, the solo/pg brigade go into meltdown. No recognition that as a game experience, solo/PG can have negative effects of BGS/PP, due to circumventing pvp interactions. Use of block for tactical purposes is just as game breaking as tactical changes of game mode.

The game is generous enough with no cmdr deaths and cheap ship rebuys (even engineering & materials are preserved!), it should be right that cmdrs can risk getting destroyed every now and then. Gankers, although annoying do not erode the fabric of the game IMHO. Also, with a proper C&P system the griefer/ganker situation, so there is a more level playing field.

I would change the game mode system by having different save points for each of the modes, all ships, credits, locations, ranks etc. etc., all separate. This will effectively stop changing modes for tactical purposes, clogging etc., while keeping the modes people enjoy playing in. Changing the rewards for certain tasks as the OP suggested I would endorse also.

Last edited:
While being interdicted by other players in Open Play is fairly rare, when they do the vast majority of attackers will just try to kill you as fast as possible rather than attempt any sort of piracy. Unfortunately for the small number of players attempting to be pirates, that playstyle has been well and truly poisoned by those players. Any system that tries to get victims to sit still and die for the entertainment of other players is going to be difficult to sell.
This issue of griefing and ganking is a crime and punishment one at heart. In other words improving how the game responds to hostile cmdrs in game, for example improve the PvP bounty hunting game mechanics would really help. Having a game that makes it easy to cheat and easy to excuse it by blaming unwanted behaviour is broken!

For a couple of weeks now I have been testing the PVP pirate role and I have noticed that when trying to assault a cargo ship, almost always, the unfortunate player just disconnects and this completely breaks the game.
Come and try to pirate me, then. (I'm fairly easy to find)

I promise I won't disconnect, block you, or use any other out-of-game tactics. However I also promise that I'm flying a well-engineered Krait II so the chances of you even dropping my shields before I escape is basically nil, and as I'm well beyond the point of needing more money, if you do land a hatchbreaker you'll usually get about 3t of Gallite or something equally worth the trip.

As gorankar points out in a slightly different target, you're relying on other players cooperating with you, whether that be by playing with you at all, or by flying a potato ship with potato skill. In a game on the scale of Elite Dangerous, both of those are a bit unlikely.

I propose: that when a player is playing in open game, add bonuses from all sources (money, points ...) obviously this bonus would be an extra percentage of benefits that will depend on the time he is playing in open game mode and when disconnect, this counter returns to 0%.
In this way, it forces the player to think twice before disconnecting to save his cargo or ship and would encourage the need to seek protection from other commanders who guard his back.
Wouldn't help you at all.

A player who is the sort to disconnect on a pirate will have the following calculation:
- fly in PG/Solo: permanently get no bonus, guaranteed
- fly in Open: usually get a bonus in exchange for no actual extra risk because there aren't many pirates about.
- fly in Open and get attacked: disconnect as usual, still no worse off than they otherwise would have been.

For the bonus to be worthwhile to keep it in that situation it would need to exceed the costs of being pirated (and potentially the costs of being destroyed) which would mean it needed to be at least 3x (for miners) or maybe 10x (for non-Tritium traders). Obviously either of those would lead to ridiculous earning rates for the 99.9%+ of trips which don't involve another player.

You've also got the problem there that the bonus would need to ramp up fairly quickly - because if someone doesn't have it after an hour or so, most people don't play much more than that in a row anyway - so therefore losing it isn't that big a deal (just stay logged in while you have lunch).

Let's reward the players that bring a PvP encounter to a conclusion. Give the winner 3 and the loser 1 Voucher to be exchanged for Influence over the BGS or PP. This way you get payed for actually engaging in PvP. Rather than getting paid for the chance of a greater risk.

Last edited by a moderator:
(sigh) Let me see if I remember all of this...

BGS/PP:
  • Time Zones - You cannot fight someone that is not logged in
  • Cross platform play - You cannot fight someone not on the same platform
  • The fact that you cannot see other players on the GalMap unless they are Friends in the same mode
  • NPC hunting in RES locations - Reputation modification is per player, so you cannot impact someone else's rep regardless
  • Factions in multiple systems - You can only be in one place at a time, so, if they are elsewhere, you cannot "interact"
Bluntly, it is an overly simplistic "solution" for a very complex set of issues. Aside from the usual PvP/PvE (I still prefer PaP where A stands for Against because versus implies competition when none is desired, but that is another discussion) argument, this is not going to solve "problems" with Power Play.

Money:
  • No matter how much money you offer to play in Open, you are missing the point that the victim player has to pay when they are killed. In effect, they are punished for dying, meaning that they lose cargo, ammo if they had it, and then have to pay to get back into the ship.
  • Any punishment system won't encourage noncombat players because they do not benefit from the system, see above.
tl;dr - Your desire for player targets provides NO value to the other player, so they have no reason to BE your "content" no matter how much you bait them.

Last edited:
Top Bottom