A Guide to Minor Factions and the Background Sim

Never really went away to be fair. Just takes a couple ticks to catch up. Probably a caching problem, but doesn't have any actual effect, the faction is still indy.
This shouldn't be a caching problem as this faction took control of the system several months ago. I agree that it is still independent.

The only possible problem it could induce is related to the insertion of PMFs. One of the criteria is that the new PMF has to be of the same allegiance as the system into which it is being inserted. The result of the test is going to depend on which data set the inserters refer to. It would be more than a little setback to discover that a carefully crafted PMF was rejected - after an eleven-month wait - because of a recurring bug.

Last edited:
This shouldn't be a caching problem as this faction took control of the system several months ago. I agree that it is still independent.

The only possible problem it could induce is related to the insertion of PMFs. One of the criteria is that the new PMF has to be of the same allegiance as the system into which it is being inserted. The result of the test is going to depend on which data set the inserters refer to. It would be more than a little setback to discover that a carefully crafted PMF was rejected - after an eleven-month wait - because of a recurring bug.

sirius corporation yesterday showed as dictatorship in left hand corner of the hud, station and galaxy map, while still being corporate in right hand panel and system map. no idea how that glitch happens.

Is there a website where I can find out result of faction election without logging in to the game?

if the system is updated, eddb.io is your friend.

sirius corporation yesterday showed as dictatorship in left hand corner of the hud, station and galaxy map, while still being corporate in right hand panel and system map. no idea how that glitch happens.

if the system is updated, eddb.io is your friend.

Thanks, the election has happened and the % influence for the faction hasnt changed so Ill presume it lost!?

Am I right in thinking that if you're going to play the BGS without help from others, then it's more realistic (in terms of changing it) to pick a system with only a small population?

Edit: Also, would a low population also affect the ability to expand into other systems?

Last edited:
Thanks, the election has happened and the % influence for the faction hasnt changed so Ill presume it lost!?

Am I right in thinking that if you're going to play the BGS without help from others, then it's more realistic (in terms of changing it) to pick a system with only a small population?

Yes, small pop no traffic is best for lone wolves.

The influence tick happens once a day - currently approximately 23:00 game time. You wont see influence changing. You need a 3% influence lead to win an election - which last 3 days minimum.

check the timestamp of last update of eddb.io. reads more to me as if nobody was visiting the system with a connector to the database in the last ~14 hours (since the tick).

more important is low- to no traffic. check the traffic report, bountyhunter report etc.

the first system i was working for myself was 28 mio, which was possible (but very slow) till a group of players moved in. if i would choose another system to work by myself, i'd go for a <2 mio system. there are many industrial systems with that population at the edge of the bubble.

for testing purposes i usually pick systems with <60k or less, there you can very easily produce visible influence swings all alone with just one visit per day.

Thanks both of you. I'll take a look at systems on EDDB and choose wisely :) What's the least number of factions you can usually find in a system?

Also, if the population of a system is a big fat zero, I guess it's not worth bothering with?

Last edited:
Thanks both of you. I'll take a look at systems on EDDB and choose wisely :) What's the least number of factions you can usually find in a system?

Also, if the population of a system is a big fat zero, I guess it's not worth bothering with?

1. there are systems with 1 faction (out of the bubble), in which case there isn't much you can do. 100% influence, permanent cycle of expansion - failed expansion - investment - expansion...

2. if not corrupt data in the database (recheck ingame), they should have no stations. bit of a mystery those systems (there is a tourism economy in a system without stations, but with an ammonia world, and 0 population ...).

1. there are systems with 1 faction (out of the bubble), in which case there isn't much you can do. 100% influence, permanent cycle of expansion - failed expansion - investment - expansion...

2. if not corrupt data in the database (recheck ingame), they should have no stations. bit of a mystery those systems (there is a tourism economy in a system without stations, but with an ammonia world, and 0 population ...).

Thanks. I was just looking for a place with low population and only a small number of factions that were just in the one system. Some cursory searching shows the lead faction usually has fingers in a few pies!

So our faction went into(not just pending) expansion today. Am I right that we will not know where we are expanding to until expansion is complete? I've looked at nearby systems and found nothing.

If that is true, do we need to keep above 75% influence for the duration of the 5-6 day expansion?

Once new system is chosen will it show up in news feed or do we have to search nearby systems?

Thank You.

As someone already mentioned, thanks to the Faction Summary implemented by FD you can now see where you expanded to. Wasn't the case in the beginning, yay for FD for that.

And yes, you can determine where you will expand into, possible last minute changes notwithstanding naturally.

You will go to the nearest System with 6 or fewer Minor factions.

If the closest System has 7 or more MFs present in it, it's full and you will skip over that until a suitable one is found by the game.

Last edited:
Helping a MF during expansion.

I read that efforts of all forms aid during expansion but recently I moved a MF by a whopping 1 % when usually it will move far greater with far less effort. I ran large influence passenger missions for like 6 hours!

I then assume background hands changed the BGS re this?

To my main question though;

Since influence is largely based on the transaction and not the profit; for exploration data how does this work?

If I scan 20 planets and arrive at port with those 20 pages will each of those pages count as an influential transaction without having to leave and return to the station?

And, what would each page of data equate to re influence ? ---small medium or large during expansion?

Last edited:
Helping a MF during expansion.

I read that efforts of all forms aid during expansion but recently I moved a MF by a whopping 1 % when usually it will move far greater with far less effort. I ran large influence passenger missions for like 6 hours!

I then assume background hands changed the BGS re this?

To my main question though;

Since influence is largely based on the transaction and not the profit; for exploration data how does this work?

If I scan 20 planets and arrive at port with those 20 pages will each of those pages count as an influential transaction without having to leave and return to the station?

And, what would each page of data equate to re influence ? ---small medium or large during expansion?

i have not seen any clean test on exploration data, but i assume every single transaction counts, probably with a value modifier. so generally 1 page = 1 system (as you can sell single systems).

but that's untested... and might have changed in a recent patch.

And yes, you can determine where you will expand into, possible last minute changes notwithstanding naturally.

You will go to the nearest System nearby with 6 or fewer Minor factions.

If the closest System has 7 or more MFs present in it, it's full and you will skip over that until a suitable one is found by the game.
This was not always the case in Colonia a few months ago. Expansion would sometimes skip what seemed to be the most likely candidates - with the criteria you mention - and pick the second on the list.

I'm not sure if this was related to distance; Colonia systems are very close together. I can't say if this is still happening, or if it has happened in other regions.

i have not seen any clean test on exploration data, but i assume every single transaction counts, probably with a value modifier. so generally 1 page = 1 system (as you can sell single systems).

but that's untested... and might have changed in a recent patch.

Yes it is still transaction based. In fact, the best thing is still selling one system at a time - 1 system = 1 transaction.

AFAIK, faction influence is transaction based. You can cheese it by selling one at a time for maximal effect. 10-20 transactions ought to do a good few percent tip if you have zero to little opposition. Faction reputation seems to be dependent on sales value on the other hand. 5 million from neutral to allied.

Back
Top Bottom