A more interactive detailed surface scanner 🔭🌎

I'm currently coming back to the bubble from Colonia, and while scanning the odd system I thought that the the detailed surface scanner could be more interactive.

It should be activated manually, and show some kind of overlay like the interdiction one.

Keeping the target body steady in the center of the scanner reticle could increase the scanning distance and/or scanning speed. This overlay could also display some parameters, like scan percentage, distance for scanning range and also show more info about the scanning result, avoiding the need to enter the system map to see any info about the scanned body.

Maybe it could also work as a telescope, with the center of the reticle or a sub screen showing a zoomed in view of the target.

Last edited:
Keeping the target body steady in the center of the scanner reticle could increase the scanning distance and/or scanning speed. This overlay could also display some parameters, like scan percentage, distance for scanning range and also show more info about the scanning result, avoiding the need to enter the system map to see any info about the scanned body.

Maybe it could also work as a telescope, with the center of the reticle or a sub screen showing a zoomed in view of the target.

There is actually audible cues that will tell you how far along the scan is. I've been doing scans for the better part of the year I've been in the game; I guess I've gotten used to the time-limit and cues I seem to hear.

If you can't keep the ship steady while pointing your ship at the target, I suspect you have bigger problems with the controller you're using. As I've been using a T1600m fcs for the better part of this year -- I find it more than easy enough to control speed and attitude as I'm doing a scan on a planet or moon.

Further, Farseer, Tani, Ishmaak, and Turner can further tweak the DSS based on your recommendations. Perhaps you should give those a try.

I'm currently coming back to the bubble from Colonia, and while scanning the odd system I thought that the the detailed surface scanner could be more interactive.

It should be activated manually, and show some kind of overlay like the interdiction one.

Generally this is a good idea - although I don't mind the automated activation once in range. But having a more interactive display (like filling the viewscreen with data on the planetary body you are scanning) would help avoiding boredom during exploration.

What's up with doubting people's skill and/or understanding of the game? I've been playing ED almost since launch. I know the audio cues. I know you can enhance the DSS with engineering. I surely can keep my ship straight and on the target with my HOTAS, thank you very much.

My intention with this post was simply to suggest a game enhancement.
AFAIK the DSS works the way it works since launch. Also scanning stellar bodies feels exactly the same having a DSS installed or not. You just get more info with a DSS.

Having some kind of interface would only improve things in my opinion.

Last edited:
Top Bottom