A question: Are you a lone flyer or do you move with friends?

• Thread starter Deleted member 110222
  • Start date
I've been doing a lot of soul-searching in ED lately, as to what kind of pilot I am.

For the longest time I thought I would be a social CMDR. You might think that would be the case with the amount I've posted in this community.

But no. I just can't play this delightful game unless I'm on my own. It's reached a peak. I deleted my entire friends list just now in the game, and as such, nobody can see where I am unless they share an instance with me.

And I'm much happier for it.

I've even gone so far as to clear all my wing/MC related bindings: I've never used them, and at this point it's clear I never will.

But I would ask of you, CMDRs, are you, like me, a person who prefers to control his own destiny, or would you seek out allies and forge an empire?

This game sounds like its a 'life line'. Have you considered getting a robot. Or would a realistic humanoid one be too much too. I actually venture out into the world interact with other humans. So to be honest I can't be too critical about your position since you are probably correct. In the early days of web was a film about a person who tried to live only int doors for a year by only accessing service the web when it was still a novelty. Alternatively moving to the north poll or the moon.

Discuss the matter, not the participants. Basic forum rule. Try to not break it. Also, I did not write them in order of importance.

Many parts of the game that should promote cooperation are not making people play together because they are flawed in their designs, it is a fact and a reason I have no motivation in playing with others.

as for point 1, every state of the bgs has different activities to give inf to a faction. Most of these activities are better done alone for me, like selling contraband.
To my knowledge, even the inf given to a faction is not based on the number of bonds you give but how many times you give them.

Did not mean to offend, I thought the smiley was a clue! (Note the eacalamtion mark). I very much doubt I broke the forum rules.

Still not getting why bgs is better done solo. 2 Cmdrs trading at the same time say in a wing a wing counts asb2 transactions in the same time as a single player can do 1 transaction.

I was curious about your comment because I felt the introduction of multiple states further encouraged group play. Before a single player could protect a multi-system faction using the boom-conflict cycle.

Just come off of 3 years bgs with a few friends, flying solo now.

Simon

I've really tried to be sociable. I've even gone on DW2, being all sociable and that. But, truth be told, even when I'm nominally with a large group I'm still on my own. I never really talk to anyone, never go anywhere or do stuff with anyone. I suppose, deep down, I play games to escape from having to be with people.
I prefer solo because it makes the game universe feel more authentic.
This too. I went on an expedition once. "Sociable" meant jumping SRVs over other player's ships, lining our ships up in weird configurations for screenshots, and most importantly, incessantly chatting on Discord about real-life politics, religion, and other nonsense. I quickly lost interest in this ritual and sprinted ahead of the rest of the fleet.

The closest thing I experience to authentic team gameplay in ED is winging up in a HazRes or CZ for a CG. But even this feels "hollow" after awhile. I feel much more like a proper team when I'm thrown together with 5 other strangers in Overwatch. At least in that game we are given a purpose / common goal, and teamwork actually matters.

o7 As an ex EVE player I actually started playing ED for a more solo experience and control over my own fate after the death of the Corporation and then Alliance I was in just burnt me out, haven't been back to discord or our team speak channel in way too long. However I do miss the more active local of EVE and tting with Commanders would be fun.

Jeez that must have been you I smelled passing through Kappa Fornacis the other day, first the smell hit then suddenly my FSD overcharged like I had run into a neutron 😜

Lone wolf.

Cut my teeth out in EVE for around 10 years... did the corporation thing... got screwed over by the "leaders" of the alliance we joined and got tired fast of kids barking "orders" like they're something. Went solo... was wildly successful beyond what that alliance ever could offer me (which boiled down to "guard this POS and never leave these three systems), and as far as a general gameplay mechanic goes... have never looked back. I did actually try to get into it again... but coz I'd "been there, done that" so much everyone thought i was a spy :p

I am the "leader" of a group of a dozen players here on Elite... where leader is purely symbolic... FD needs someone in that role to register as a group, but we're nothing more than a group of friends who know each other. Most got bored with Elite a long time ago sadly... but i rope they'll in for PG wings now and then.

But associating with randos? Pass. Most can't understand me on game voice comms anyway.... notwithstanding the fact i hate voice comms because <reasons>

Lol know the pain m8, my last 3days of EVE were spent plexing for Faction War, I was a Major in the Caldari Militia flying with HECON. Spent 3days mostly on my own but usually with one or 2 other line members offensive and defensive plexing non stop only to be told we were not going to defend our own systems, granted we had just gotten pushed out of Asakai and was a mess,but basically being told we were no longer going to defend ourselves and just the fracturing of the Alliance I loved for a very long time did me in.

Lol know the pain m8, my last 3days of EVE were spent plexing for Faction War, I was a Major in the Caldari Militia flying with HECON. Spent 3days mostly on my own but usually with one or 2 other line members offensive and defensive plexing non stop only to be told we were not going to defend our own systems, granted we had just gotten pushed out of Asakai and poopoo was a mess,but basically being told we were no longer going to defend ourselves and just the fracturing of the Alliance I loved for a very long time did me in.
Lol poopoo was an auto correct but an awesome one.

Usually fly alone.
Do enjoy occasional co op session too.
Ditto for me.

EDIT: I find most activities in ED are designed for solo play. ED's multiplayer activities are limited or bugged, imho. Wing mining is still bugged (personal experience), I don't like fighting over rock droppings on surfaces, Multi-Crew doesn't always work as I'd like it to, etc.

Last edited:
I do mostly solo, with some solo within a PG (everyone doing their own thing, but in same PG and on comms) and some active co-op stuff (wings, bounty hunting, rare goods procurement, training and so on) So a mix of all of them.

But I would ask of you, CMDRs, are you, like me, a person who prefers to control his own destiny, or would you seek out allies and forge an empire?

I'm a member of the 'lonely explorers friendship club' so have a few names on my friends list. You never know I might run into one of them someday.

Empire builder .. nah not really. I'd need a really good reason.

I mostly fly alone, even when I fly in Open mode.
I find myself flying in Open mode in my home systems, and logging into Solo or Moebius when I know I am going to visit systems frequented by many players.

This will sadly stay so unless we get a consented PVP system.
I would love to interact more with other players, but when I am doing my solo thing, I hate being interrupted/ganked by f.. ...I'm going to stop here; you get my drift.

I've been doing a lot of soul-searching in ED lately, as to what kind of pilot I am.

For the longest time I thought I would be a social CMDR. You might think that would be the case with the amount I've posted in this community.

But no. I just can't play this delightful game unless I'm on my own. It's reached a peak. I deleted my entire friends list just now in the game, and as such, nobody can see where I am unless they share an instance with me.

And I'm much happier for it.

I've even gone so far as to clear all my wing/MC related bindings: I've never used them, and at this point it's clear I never will.

Lone flier. In life and in games.
Can't do the social dance very well. It drains my energy.
It makes me feel very uncomfortable at best, and it sickens me at worst.

I am the emperor of one.

There is a scifi story by Jack Vance in which he describes an alien race that can't stand other beings of its own race. Every member of that race lives on its own planet, surrounded only by intelligent robot servants.

I would sell my soul to be in such a position.

Last edited:
Lone Ranger here, basically real life means when I play I can be instantly required for some other task in the house, so the only way to play is solo.

Top Bottom