A question for the devs regarding TMT workshop items

If I upload a TMT item to the Steam Workshop, and someone subscribes to it and places it in their park, what happens if I update the Workshop item?

A - They would have to re-subscribe to the item to see any difference,
B - The already placed item would not change, but if they placed it again, they'd get the new version, or
C - The already placed item in their park would change to reflect the updated file on the workshop.

This is kind of difficult to test for ourselves, and I've seen a lot of speculation but no confirmation. If possible, it'd be very useful to get an answer from the dev team. :)

If I upload a TMT item to the Steam Workshop, and someone subscribes to it and places it in their park, what happens if I update the Workshop item?

A - They would have to re-subscribe to the item to see any difference,
B - The already placed item would not change, but if they placed it again, they'd get the new version, or
C - The already placed item in their park would change to reflect the updated file on the workshop.

This is kind of difficult to test for ourselves, and I've seen a lot of speculation but no confirmation. If possible, it'd be very useful to get an answer from the dev team. :)

As far as i understand, when you revise your object, i.e. have a new version, it gets downloaded to that person automatically, and next time he starts the game the current object gets loaded in the game, or he/she presses the "refresh" button in the TMT tab.

As far as i understand, when you revise your object, i.e. have a new version, it gets downloaded to that person automatically, and next time he starts the game the current object gets loaded in the game, or he/she presses the "refresh" button in the TMT tab.

That's what I am guessing/hoping happens, but I don't think there's been a confirmation of it yet.

Well it is easy to verify. Somebody uploads something. A person subscribes. The other person uploads a new version, then see what happens.

True! Okay, anyone who wishes to participate, let's do a test. I've uploaded a red cube here: https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=1592889837

I'll be back in a couple hours; if at least one person has downloaded it and placed it in their park, I will update the file and we can see if the placed item in their park has changed.

Ok, placed. It was already downloaded once though, so I'll be back-up just in case that person was a random downloader [wink]
Turning off my computer now though, so leave the updated version online till tomorrow if it still needs testing

Ready for the test
4xUoLBv.jpg

Nice scene you've got there! Okay, I just uploaded a new version. The object is now blue, taller, and has a different name, description, and icon. Let's see what happens!

I expect if it does change, it probably would require a game restart. Possibly a Steam restart, but I think Steam checks for updates when you close out of a game anyway.

And thank you both for the help with this test! :D

Nice scene you've got there! Okay, I just uploaded a new version. The object is now blue, taller, and has a different name, description, and icon. Let's see what happens!

I expect if it does change, it probably would require a game restart. Possibly a Steam restart, but I think Steam checks for updates when you close out of a game anyway.

And thank you both for the help with this test! :D

The placed item wont change i think. but it will update in your list.

Haven't heard from the testers yet, but I saw an interesting result in my own park. I had left the original red cube there, and then uploaded the blue one over it. When I reopened the park, both objects were blue. So I think objects update even if they're already placed - but I'd like to get confirmation from the other people who tried.

Nice! Thank you for the confirmation. The placed item was the thing I was most curious about, since that means small tweaks can be made, especially if there's a problem that needs fixing (like my weird fish glitch!)

Brilliant! Thank you. :D I will go ahead and delete the test object now.

(Hmm, if I delete the test object, I assume then the object in the park disappears too?)

My Guess is, it shouldn't, because there is no other Object replacing the old one. But to be sure yes, let's test i am curious too :)

(Hmm, if I delete the test object, I assume then the object in the park disappears too?)

Yep, it's gone. Six players no longer have a SarrahW exclusive [big grin]
(I did not get a message, below explains why)

Cheers for creating those test objects :)

edit: I assume if a player unsubscribes, placed items stay placed until the creator deletes them in the workshop. This we can easily check of course.

edit 2: ^ this is wrong. The placed item disappeared in this case too. (I closed steam completely)
Interestingly, when I first reopened that park via play --> my parks --> resume, I did not get a message. But then going to the menu and choosing "load park", I did get the following message : "missing toolkit items - this park contains toolkit items you haven't downloaded. You can either load the park with these items missing or download them all from the steam workshop."
You can then choose subscribe, cancel load or continue load.

edit 3: choosing "resume" in the opening screen (instead of going through "play") , shows the message immediately.

ps: someone confirming is always best :)

edit 4: ok, two more results:
* when placing a TMT item (new park) - unsubscribing - (saving) and going to menu / load park - so without having left the game this time , the placed items are still there. (this is the same if you choose "exit to main menu" and reopen)
* exited the game but not steam - restart : items are gone.

Last edited:
Top Bottom