Notice A statement on cheating in Elite Dangerous.

Status
Thread Closed: Not open for further replies.
SP seems impossible to implement, though. How will the BGS across thousands of systems be updated everyday sans any connection to Frontier's servers? How do you intend on influencing anything having to do with Powerplay or Thargoid states?

SP seems impossible to implement, though. How will the BGS across thousands of systems be updated everyday sans any connection to Frontier's servers? How do you intend on influencing anything having to do with Powerplay or Thargoid states?

This is an issue that will come up if Frontier releases server code once their own hosting (via AWS) stops. Potentially the 'tick' could be done weekly or monthly with a significant scaling down of tracked activities, and more autonomy provided for wars & other stuff.

Or a static/independant galaxy stored locally by each player as FE2 & FFE had.

It still won't stop cheating ;)

The likelihood of me influencing the game is minimal couple this with the fact it seems that certain people are able to single leap across the galaxy along with a multitude of other dodgy tricks makes my contribution irrelevant. Single player could have and in my humble opinion should have been available from day one but they didn't so that's that hopefully if they make a sequel or new game they will take on board what us lone wolves say with no interest in MP whatsoever. All the triggers for events etc discoveries can be scripted and coded into SP and still have MP game were as the only influences the SP has is in his own game universe. Cheats are cheats games sports marriage every walk of life and in all aspects of life its human nature . But at the end of the day every popular MP game across all formats have been hacked even some idiots cheating in gaming competitions were it's been filmed live etc from COD to Mario some people cant help themselves

With single player you'd only need to update those systems where the player had influenced something. It could even be changed to happen in real time instead of a tick.

what riverside said, plus if the 'living galaxy' is at the end not much more than the permutation of randomly generated labels of factions in systems, you might aswell freeze the bgs and forget about the tick altogether. for thargoids, they could just itinerate through a handful of systems or even be static, wouldn't really affect gameplay much.

the only downside is that the procedural generator would be on the client, so people could eventually exploit it and chea .... oh wait!!! :D

This is how Frontier communicates with us about this issue?

The likelihood of me influencing the game is minimal couple this with the fact it seems that certain people are able to single leap across the galaxy along with a multitude of other dodgy tricks makes my contribution irrelevant. Single player could have and in my humble opinion should have been available from day one but they didn't so that's that hopefully if they make a sequel or new game they will take on board what us lone wolves say with no interest in MP whatsoever. All the triggers for events etc discoveries can be scripted and coded into SP and still have MP game were as the only influences the SP has is in his own game universe. Cheats are cheats games sports marriage every walk of life and in all aspects of life its human nature . But at the end of the day every popular MP game across all formats have been hacked even some idiots cheating in gaming competitions were it's been filmed live etc from COD to Mario some people cant help themselves
'Pity the fool' someone wise once said.

Solo is fine. The reasons why it's not single are valid. Size, game dynamics and funnily enough antipiracy are good imo.

what riverside said, plus if the 'living galaxy' is at the end not much more than the permutation of randomly generated labels of factions in systems, you might aswell freeze the bgs and forget about the tick altogether. for thargoids, they could just itinerate through a handful of systems or even be static, wouldn't really affect gameplay much.

the only downside is that the procedural generator would be on the client, so people could eventually exploit it and chea .... oh wait!!! :D

I suppose that SP is technically possible in the context of a "frozen" game where one can link up with Frontier's servers for an "update" as to things like the BGS and other states, but certain features are virtually locked and others are either basically impossible or absurd. Beating back a Thargoid invasion, for example- how is one player expected to attain the requisite number of kills? How is one player expected to repair a damaged station by him or herself? How will a war or election ever be won or lost of the above-mentioned server linkup is never performed? Do they go on forever?

Like it or not, Elite is a "living" game whose universe is dependent on server updates to create a common experience. And yes, one day the game will be put to pasture and the servers taken offline- and I'm as curious as everyone else as to what will happen after that with the various game mechanics. Happily, that day seems far away as of right now.

I suppose that SP is technically possible in the context of a "frozen" game where one can link up with Frontier's servers for an "update" as to things like the BGS and other states, but certain features are virtually locked and others are either basically impossible or absurd. Beating back a Thargoid invasion, for example- how is one player expected to attain the requisite number of kills? How is one player expected to repair a damaged station by him or herself? How will a war or election ever be won or lost of the above-mentioned server linkup is never performed? Do they go on forever?

Like it or not, Elite is a "living" game whose universe is dependent on server updates to create a common experience. And yes, one day the game will be put to pasture and the servers taken offline- and I'm as curious as everyone else as to what will happen after that with the various game mechanics. Happily, that day seems far away as of right now.

You have a point, a lot of the game is based around being connected to and influenced by the actions of other players and a Dungeon Master at Frontier.

The reason why this sub-topic is being discussed is because some players may wish to not be influenced by the actions of other players who may be cheating. There is a cost to being disconnected too, as you imply.

Beating back a Thargoid invasion, for example- how is one player expected to attain the requisite number of kills? How is one player expected to repair a damaged station by him or herself? How will a war or election ever be won or lost of the above-mentioned server linkup is never performed? Do they go on forever?

the common approach in single player games with such a setting is to assume that the actions of the player determine how well his cause/faction does in general. the better you do, the better do your pals and vice-versa, if you screw up somewhere expect bad things to hapen elsewhere randomly. that works pretty well.

actually it's quite the opposite than the current system, where a single player is insignificant by himself. in single player you drive the world with your actions, you are the difference and that's what people would usually expect from a single player game (if the game doesn't provide any other specific mechanism, narrative, etc).

yes, sure, we're just theorizing here.

i think 'refloating' the game would be interesting if only to preserve, and possibly continue, the discovery of the galaxy. but then, that's a long chain of 'ifs' and 'whens'.

25 days past after the statement and still no status updated.

Its highly unlikely you will ever get the sort of statement you want. FD have made that quite clear.

Also, you bumped this thread after your previous zero-content post on Friday, its now monday morning. So a weekend bump.

Does anybody knows if there was a ban wave? Someone who has access to that cheat discord, was there any uproar or something? Anything?

ED has been programmed as a 'living' game for sure, and what you're saying with regards to a Goid invasion is also true - in respect of ED.

It's perfectly possible to produce a single-player offline spin-off version of ED though.

Any decent programmer/team of programmers could add things like

• random events which affect a Goid invasion, simulated to either advance or Goid progress
  • simulate crewmembers and virtual team-mates; that's basically already been done in ED with your crew and them flying SLFs. This could be extended to add virtual squadrons, virtual group members etc.
  • produce a simulcram of a BGS using random variances based on system type, economy, state etc. Such a system doesn't have to be computed for every system in a massive Tick update, but indications of their state could be produced in a broad-brush way so that if you look at the galaxy map you'd see system state etc. but the actual detailed state would only be computed for a given system once you are jumping into it.

And you could even team up with other players online if you chose, in this single-player offline spin-off. Simply use the existing P2P code and implement a matchmaking server running locally - this kind of psuedo multiplayer has been implemented in a few games I've encountered in the past.

In short, it would be perfectly feasible to take all of ED's assets and produce some single-player offline "Elite: Lone Wolf" spinoff game which doesn't have any of the horrible multi-player always-online baggage which, in my personal opinion, has ruined Elite IV - for me, not necessarily for anyone else. ED is what it is, and seeing as it's the only choice I have for a modern-day version of Elite, I have to hold my nose and play this version or nothing.

Does anybody knows if there was a ban wave? Someone who has access to that cheat discord, was there any uproar or something? Anything?

I've seen people talk about getting bans on the public forums in the last year. Don't have access to that discord.

Haven't checked the public cheat forum in a few weeks, no sign of any banwave back then.

Status
Thread Closed: Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom