Notice A statement on cheating in Elite Dangerous.

Status
Thread Closed: Not open for further replies.
The PvP community, at least among those serious about being good at it, tends to be self-policing. Shunned is a strong word, but cheaters in whatever form tend to get dumped on pretty hard. Whether it's logging, exploits (like using fighters to deliberately create lag), using premium ammo in organized events, or straight up hacking. People don't tend to forget that sort of thing.

Accusations of actual hacking are pretty rare, and many have come from the uninitiated in the past. In reality it is often a skill disparity. Even with the best build, you could be dead against the best pilots in just a few minutes-- and this comes from an Xbox guy, where I have been the one dead in those few minutes, in total absence of hacks.

Now when you get a handful of the top guys noticing something fishy, that's when it's really worth looking into.

The PvP community, at least among those serious about being good at it, tends to be self-policing. Shunned is a strong word, but cheaters in whatever form tend to get dumped on pretty hard. Whether it's logging, exploits (like using fighters to deliberately create lag), using premium ammo in organized events, or straight up hacking. People don't tend to forget that sort of thing.

Accusations of actual hacking are pretty rare, and many have come from the uninitiated in the past. In reality it is often a skill disparity. Even with the best build, you could be dead against the best pilots in just a few minutes-- and this comes from an Xbox guy, where I have been the one dead in those few minutes, in total absence of hacks.

Now when you get a handful of the top guys noticing something fishy, that's when it's really worth looking into.
As someone who had a past as a hardcore PvPer in my experience folks will do anything to win.
Don't fool others about the PvP comunity self policing is a myth, just as the end game community can be in PVE games, anything to achieve a goal.
I don't doubt for one minute that its only a small minority that actually use hacks, the issue is this game allows software such as VA that gives an unfair advantage in combat.
When you are up against having to use a rig fully kitted for keylogging etc etc in a space exploration game whats the point?
Elite will never have a true MMO community unless either PvP is disabled or a PVE version of Open is available and that's a fact.

O7

Elite will never have a true MMO community unless either PvP is disabled or a PVE version of Open is available and that's a fact.

O7
Agreed to everything but that bit.

Now that we have left the console crowd behind, PvP may be potentially more level now. Of course, if FDEV doesn't strike down keylogging and trainers and such, then it will continue to be pay-to-win.

Other ways of leveling the PvP play field can include setting up in-game CQC-like tournaments, setting up crime and punishment to fit. For example:

• Kick players out of the Pilot's Federation if found to be killing other players without consent - basically have them enter an Iron Man mode until their sentence is up or they are killed themselves and have to reroll the character.
  • Or maybe impound their ships
  • Etc.
But also create a possibility for duelling, where players can challenge other players and engage in combat without legal consequences. Perhaps the latter would only be in systems with certain types of government.

:D S

Old guy here, not up on game speak.

What's a "trainer"

The closest I can come to guessing is an aimbot.

Steve.

software that allows one to do all sorts of thing in game that shouldnt be available otherwise... like full immunity, or damage increase or unattainable jump ranges.. or just slight boosts like 20-30% in shield strength or damage increase or stuff like that...
it usually works by modifying parameters already in computer memory, so no file tampering or the likes.

software that allows one to do all sorts of thing in game that shouldnt be available otherwise... like full immunity, or damage increase or unattainable jump ranges.. or just slight boosts like 20-30% in shield strength or damage increase or stuff like that...
it usually works by modifying parameters already in computer memory, so no file tampering or the likes.
And now I've ended up on a deep dive for why they're called "trainers".
The first thing that popped into my head was my old action replay cart that I had for the game gear, which used the word to describe a specific function it had to try and find cheat codes by analysing the game's memory if you didn't actually have a code to hand for whatever game you were playing, but I don't know if that's the actual origin of it.

Status
Thread Closed: Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom