Notice A statement on cheating in Elite Dangerous.

Nonsense. Know the game you are buying before buying. Open is simply a matchmaking filter in a game which was designed to play on your own if you want. As it stands right now all competitive parts in ED are competitive PvE. This is by design and is far from a cheat. IF you want to add in the chance of some competitive direct PvP then open is there or choose the right PG.
You may not like this design and feel a more direct PvP centric game would be more your cup of tea and that is fine, but many of us backed the game precisely because of that core design.

Personally I would be happy if open was simply not in the game and it was just single player or coop with friends like say L4D or payday.....but I would not ask for opens removal just because it does not interest me.
But open is included optionally to try to appeal to even more people. Not all players are the same. I hate eve precisely because other players are forced on me..... I backed SC despite knowing it would be like it is (indeed I am a little salty because a key feature I liked was the PvP slider........)
I am also salty that FD are imo reneging on their design. Before they conveniently removed the DDF archives (despite them reassuring me they would not) the game detailed had no support for ALL features with MP an optional extra. This design emphasis seems to have been totally changed
so much word to me, tldr?

Ah, just a thing, i hate pvp. cheers

Well that would explain why you don't understand the core features of the game I suppose
i dont care about core feature written 6 years ago douring backed period. game industry need to evolve in any case, this doesnt means to destroy gameplay but to better optimize the actual one. Theres actually no "competitive pve" in elite dangerous, theres only competitive grinding, is different because u never know if there other doing some stuff in system your interested to, u can just notice when its so late. you probably are a lonely miner or a cg follower, after 4k hours and managing for day one large player group i realli know what i say and really know what this game is actually. destinated to die if some pretty change cant appear because u guys bought a game to play in this way.
Private and solo broke competition, i won...wow...against phantom! wow! no mate,,,,woooooooooow i WON AGAINST PHANTOOOM YEEEEE

i dont care about core feature written 6 years ago douring backed period. game industry need to evolve in any case, this doesnt means to destroy gameplay but to better optimize the actual one. Theres actually no "competitive pve" in elite dangerous, theres only competitive grinding, is different because u never know if there other doing some stuff in system your interested to, u can just notice when its so late. you probably are a lonely miner or a cg follower, after 4k hours and managing for day one large player group i realli know what i say and really know what this game is actually. destinated to die if some pretty change cant appear because u guys bought a game to play in this way.
Private and solo broke competition, i won...wow...against phantom! wow! no mate,,,,woooooooooow i WON AGAINST PHANTOOOM YEEEEE
This is so off-topic, it is just a rant about open v solo and not a very good one at that.

Q: How can a solo player, be cheating a PvP player?

A: They cannot.

...destinated to die if some pretty change cant appear because u guys bought a game to play in this way.
According to a lot of field experts the game was already dead before launch. So get in line, because one day, you guys will be right. This game will die, there will be and end to it, and when it happens, its good to be part of the group that has been yelling it for 10 years and to say, "see? I told yoo!!1!". I say 10, but should say 40, because 30 years ago the situation wasn't any different.

...after 4k hours and managing for day one large player group i realli know what i say and really know what this game is actually.
Time for a conclusion then, right?

Well, this game is in need of a good penalty system against griefers, killing other people just for fun. The "notorious" status is a good idea but there is clearly no penalty for that one. In my opinon you should not be able to dock at any station while beeing "notorious" and in addition you should be hunted by the NPCs even more often than now.

Well, this game is in need of a good penalty system against griefers, killing other people just for fun. The "notorious" status is a good idea but there is clearly no penalty for that one. In my opinon you should not be able to dock at any station while beeing "notorious" and in addition you should be hunted by the NPCs even more often than now.
I agree.
Interdicting NPCs can provide an irritation factor and additional challenge that I think would help provide a counterbalancing deterrent for gaining notoriety.

However there also should be places where the wary player thinks twice before entering and that threat is provided by other players, and PKing is not cheating.

It seems to me that FDev has lost control of one of its flagship games, ED.

I am fairly certain that most players who join a MMO game want to play with other players and FDev has lost control of that game environment (PvP).

A relatively small but very vocal and oh-so-rational contingent of gankers (we're good for the game; we teach new players that it's dangerous out there) seems to rule much of PvP. Does anyone other than FDev management actually believe the gankers' "rational" arguments for indiscriminately murdering other players? I don't. They're liars. They appear to be refugees from COD, Battlefield, and other games whose focus is murder, where all that matters is the number of kills a player makes. By continuing to tolerate their antics, FDev is de facto legitimizing murder as game play in ED.

I continue to ask myself:
Why does FDev continue to tolerate this abuse of other players? (Make no mistake, it is abuse of players with good intent.)
Why, after a ganker interfered with a live broadcast of an FDev sponsored event by murdering the player who was the focus of the event, did FDev simply “scold” the offender?
Why, after the private ganker group SDC (Smiling Dog Crew) lied (en masse) to surreptitiously join the Mobius group (the largest in ED), whose members agree not to attack human players, and then, at a prearranged date and time, indiscriminately murder Mobius members, did FDev essentially do nothing?
Why are players who consciously cheat and who can be clearly identified by FDev software, merely scolded, admonished, and given a few chances to stop cheating? (By cheating, these people are committing a crime against honest players and they should immediately and permanently be banned from this game.)
In a semi-realistic, human populated galaxy, gankers would be classified as terrorists, tracked and relentlessly hunted by authorities until they were exterminated. Every time they were in Open Play, there would be markers, easily identified in the galactic map, showing their current locations. Not only would other players be able to track them as Bounty Hunters, but the local and galactic authorities would relentlessly pursue and attack them until they were exterminated.

Consider that ED is a game rich with opportunities to do many interesting and entertaining things. There are so many "professions" available to players. To choose murder as a profession is nonsense. Indiscriminate murder provides no income, no ranking (other than notoriety). Piracy is a profession; murder is not.

I have played games (COD, Battlefield, and others) whose focus is murder. Knowing that in advance, it was the norm and expected. However, those games were ruined by cheaters and I stopped playing them because of it.

My perception is that FDev is doing little to nothing about cheaters, gankers, and cheating gankers. I believe my perception is correct. When the ganker community starts complaining about cheating gankers, I think the problem must be pervasive (although this situation does warm my heart).

For rational people, everything we do or do not do, has a rationale, a payoff, a reward of some sort.

Ask yourself: What is FDev's payoff for essentially doing nothing about these problems that are significantly effecting game play and interfering with other players' ability to legitimately play this game?

It is my observation in Life that people do not stop ineffective/self-damaging behavior until their pain level exceeds their payoff. Only then does behavior change. I think this no less of corporations and other human organizations. Right now, it appears that FDev's pain level is not high enough to force it into appropriate, remedial actions.

I predict that until FDev is able to determine that its current state of relative inaction on these subjects is negatively effecting its corporate bottom line, nothing will be done to rectify them.

Last edited:
FDev is de facto legitimizing murder as game play in ED.
De facto? It was advertised de jure part of gameplay long before release and only downplayed later.

To choose murder as a profession is nonsense.
Countless soldiers of fortune (which would include nearly all soldiers prior to the relatively recent rise of nationalism as a significant motivating factor), assassins, and conquerors throughout history might disagree.

Indiscriminate murder provides no income, no ranking (other than notoriety). Piracy is a profession; murder is not.
The game, due to a variety of incomplete and flawed mechanisms offers little incentive for piracy and plenty of incentive for outright destruction of ships. What does a pirate get? If they are lucky, cargo, that has to be sold for credits. Credits in ED ooze from every orifice of every NPC and every activity in endless rivers of meaningless plenty. Almost no one needs credits. It's not like credits are fungible currency anyway...they can't buy any of the things that are actually scarce, which is the whole reason they can be so plentiful without overtly breaking the game.

Anyway, it's usually easier to take from a dead person and often wiser to guard against reprisal by not leaving any witnesses, so any truly plausible setting wouldn't be eliminating murder, either as a profession itself, or as a rational part of many other activities.

Ask yourself: What is FDev's payoff for essentially doing nothing about these problems that are significantly effecting game play and interfering with other players' ability to legitimately play this game?
Easy. By doing nothing they incur no expense. Patching bugs, punishing cheats, and adhering to a niche vision aren't really big marketing points and aren't going to drive new revenue.

I predict that until FDev is able to determine that its current state of relative inaction on these subjects is negatively effecting its corporate bottom line, nothing will be done to rectify them.
I certainly agree with you here, though this is as much a given as it gets.

how can you block a port without a proximity violation?
Good question. A player/commander's ship should be subject to destruction for blocking a port/starship base "mailslot".

In the incident I recall reading about, someone with a way-modded ship (modded as in "cheat") did the blocking and his ship could not be destroyed. This was done to make a point to FDev.

That's my recollection. Anyone please correct me if I am inaccurate.

Top Bottom