A week on Horizon 4.0 and...

Commanders, hello.

It's now been a good week since I upgraded from Horizon 3.8 to Horizon 4.0. I would like to share my feelings with you.
First, we can't deny that the progress at the level of the cards (galaxy and system) is really appreciable. The ergonomics are really better. Same thing for navigation in the stations (even if it took me a little time to adapt).
The graphics (especially the lighting) are/should be beautiful.
Only here, after a week of play, I ask myself the question: "Will I continue on Horizon 4.0?"
I have a GTX 1060 6GB, 16GB RAM, i3-10100. On Horizon 3.8, the game ran in full (even though I only had the 3GB version of the 1060. I bought the 6GB on purpose for Horizon 4.0). Despite this configuration I have a flagrant drop in FPS when I arrive on the planets. Oh yes, I lower the graphic settings, but then the game becomes very ugly. It was for the graphics side.
I also encounter a bug and not the least. When I want to scan a planet, first I can't show the backside until at least one probe has touched the surface. (I don't think this was the case on 3.8). Then, activating the filters (a very good idea) does not work; at least I guess, since when I browse with the filters, nothing happens. This is all the more annoying since the geological zones are not displayed on the planet or in the navigation panel. Suddenly, impossible to recover materials (for engineers). Which earned me to go back to 3.8.

Well, I'm a little disappointed at the moment. I would really like to stay on 4.0 for graphics, ergonomics, community goals, history but it's difficult.
Let me know what you think if you have similar issues.

Thanks.

A-W

Have to agree with you. I've got i5-4440, 16GB memory, AMD R9 270X OC 4GB. Love the menus and system looks and responds great. I get problems when entering most space stations and then the lag kicks in a little. Never used to do this in 3.8. Haven't landed on any planets and now I'm not looking forward to it. For those of us with older graphics cards it seems that's our problem. Surely the code can't be that different from 3.8 to cause lag? Was thinking of getting Odessey but seems like a new graphics card might be needed before I take that step, and that will be a while for us cash strapped gamers.

Commanders, hello.

It's now been a good week since I upgraded from Horizon 3.8 to Horizon 4.0. I would like to share my feelings with you.
First, we can't deny that the progress at the level of the cards (galaxy and system) is really appreciable. The ergonomics are really better. Same thing for navigation in the stations (even if it took me a little time to adapt).
The graphics (especially the lighting) are/should be beautiful.
Only here, after a week of play, I ask myself the question: "Will I continue on Horizon 4.0?"
I have a GTX 1060 6GB, 16GB RAM, i3-10100. On Horizon 3.8, the game ran in full (even though I only had the 3GB version of the 1060. I bought the 6GB on purpose for Horizon 4.0). Despite this configuration I have a flagrant drop in FPS when I arrive on the planets. Oh yes, I lower the graphic settings, but then the game becomes very ugly. It was for the graphics side.
I also encounter a bug and not the least. When I want to scan a planet, first I can't show the backside until at least one probe has touched the surface. (I don't think this was the case on 3.8). Then, activating the filters (a very good idea) does not work; at least I guess, since when I browse with the filters, nothing happens. This is all the more annoying since the geological zones are not displayed on the planet or in the navigation panel. Suddenly, impossible to recover materials (for engineers). Which earned me to go back to 3.8.

Well, I'm a little disappointed at the moment. I would really like to stay on 4.0 for graphics, ergonomics, community goals, history but it's difficult.
Let me know what you think if you have similar issues.

Thanks.

A-W

I have been unable to access version Horizons 4.0 - can somebody give me an idiots guide on how to access it. I originally bought it from Frontier.
Many Thanks

I have been unable to access version Horizons 4.0 - can somebody give me an idiots guide on how to access it. I originally bought it from Frontier.
Many Thanks

If you have Odyssey then you won't have a launcher option for Horizons 4.0 - you have to use some 3rd party tool to launch in it. There is a thread all about this in DD section - the details about the app can be found in the thread ;;;

I agree with you OP. I do like a few things from EDH 4.0 but not enough to switch. I still mainly play EDH 3.8. I'll leave 4.0 on my hdd for now and see how or if it improves with time.

I have both Od and Horizons but prefer playing Horizons ???
There is nothing to "prefer" about Horizons 4.0 versus Odyssey - 4.0 is Odyssey with on-foot gameplay disabled. So if you prefer Horizons as in version 3.8 play that, otherwise there is no difference between Horizons 4.0 and Odyssey, as far as the graphics and UI are concerned.

Many Thanks
I have both Od and Horizons but prefer playing Horizons ???

Horizons 4.0 is not the Horizons you are looking for

On a more serious note, If you have Odyssey, but you prefer to play in Horizons (3.8), there is no point to even try Horizons 4.0 since it shares with Odyssey basically everything - including the performance penalties - except on-foot content.

Well there is somewhat a point for those that want to continue following the new content without buying the DLC. Still I'd imagine that is a small minority, why not pay for the latest version of the game you are playing? With Horizons 4.0 you are having the same in space experience and performance, just missing out on the on foot content.

EDO on a GTX 1060 will not be very nice.The card is six years old by now.
I ran it on a GTX 960 when I first got it and it was fine. Space was all on ultra at 70 FPS. It lagged down to 25 though going into stations. Planets were set on high and ran between 20 and 35 fps, but was still doable and looked OK.

If you want to provide your complete system model number and specs, I can give you some config files to try that may or may not help.

With Horizons 4.0 you are having the same in space experience and performance, just missing out on the on foot content.

Not everyone wants the on-foot content, and on higher-end systems, while the performance deficit remains, performance is mostly only a problem on foot.

My wife's setup, which has all my hand-me-downs that didn't make it into the HTPC, has fewer aliasing issues than my main setup (because her setup has both a display with a fuzzier optimal sharpness setting, as well as my fastest NVIDIA GPU, which has no line AA problems and can leverage DLDSR), and gets about 100-200 fps at 1440p ultra+ (internal resolution) almost anywhere that one can go in Horizons 4.0.

It's mostly a question of whether one prefers the 4.0 or 3.8 visuals and UI.

Yup, I’m not interested in on foot content in the slightest. I think on foot should have been a separate DLC whilst the Game moved on.

as the min requirement is a quad core cpu and you have a two core
I think the cpu and therefore pc isn't quite gona hit the mark for decent performance...……………. gpu is great
I would compare this to fitting a Ferrari engine to a morris minor
I do hope some morbad wizardry can help

Last edited:
Yup, I’m not interested in on foot content in the slightest. I think on foot should have been a separate DLC whilst the Game moved on.
On-foot has been released exactly as that, an optional DLC to the base game. So you sound like: "Since I'm not interested in something, nobody else should be either".

Last edited:
Top Bottom