About that double-engineered FSD reward for the CG...

I’ve missed out on a lot of CG rewards because I was doing something else I enjoyed in the game at the time especially when I was doing the Distant Worlds 2 expedition. It’s just how it works out sometimes. When you make your choices in the game you just have to live with the consequences.
Thing is, the consequences in this case are not written in stone, since they are just a design decision that FDev could change just as easily as they decided to award the module in the first place. I really think there is no reason for them not to correct course, and make it so that players who were unable to participate are now penalized.

Thing is, the consequences in this case are not written in stone, since they are just a design decision that FDev could change just as easily as they decided to award the module in the first place. I really think there is no reason for them not to correct course, and make it so that players who were unable to participate are now penalized.

I see your point however for the players that missed out should they just hang around the bubble hoping and waiting for FDEV to offer the module again or should they go about doing the other things in the game they enjoy? What if they miss out again? Are CMDRS going to say again that it isn't fair? Are they going to say that FDEV should just make it available to everyone whether they did the work or not?

I see your point however for the players that missed out should they just hang around the bubble hoping and waiting for FDEV to offer the module again or should they go about doing the other things in the game they enjoy? What if they miss out again? Are CMDRS going to say again that it isn't fair? Are they going to say that FDEV should just make it available to everyone whether they did the work or not?
Of course they are going to say it isn't fair and that Fdev should make it available to them personally despite not doing the work, humans tend to be like that.
The players who didn't take part for whatever reasons should get on with playing the game and doing what they enjoy but if hanging about moping over missed opportunities is what they like then they could do that instead.

Of course they are going to say it isn't fair and that Fdev should make it available to them personally despite not doing the work, humans tend to be like that.
The players who didn't take part for whatever reasons should get on with playing the game and doing what they enjoy but if hanging about moping over missed opportunities is what they like then they could do that instead.

Lol, you are deliberately missing the point.

The problem is that players who couldn't play during that one weekend the CG was up, don't even get the chance to earn it. No amount of "work" will get them this special FSD.

But I guess appeal to ridicule is the better argument...

Lol, you are deliberately missing the point.

The problem is that players who couldn't play during that one weekend the CG was up, don't even get the chance to earn it. No amount of "work" will get them this special FSD.

But I guess appeal to ridicule is the better argument...
No that opportunity has gone and I feel some sympathy for those who would have joined in but missed the chance due to circumstances beyond their control.

Personally I don’t know how special the FSD is as I have been too busy playing the game to get it and the ship I think I want it in to the same station and see just how much of a heat problem it will be.

Personally I don’t know how special the FSD is as I have been too busy playing the game to get it and the ship I think I want it in to the same station and see just how much of a heat problem it will be.
It sure runs a little hot. My exploration Phantom idles around 14-17% heat, charging that FSD gets it to 53%. Ships on less cool powerplants may find themselves overheating. On those ships you could use the thermal spread special though and still enjoy a slightly better range than a regular increased range FSD gets with mass manager or deep charge.

So, I hosted an event over the weekend, where we took my carrier to the Lemon Slice Nebula. Of course, that's inaccessible by normal jumps, or even Neutron jumps. Still, I wanted to have a course planned out ahead of time, so I decided to get as close as I possibly could to the first carrier-only jump point in my reward FSD-equipped DBX.

There were a couple neutron jumps of 280+ at one point, unreachable without a range of over 71 or so. My build was like #2 for this run.

1. Greedy DBX taxi with standard G5 FSD+Experimental effect (67.94/73.04ly) (382m/s boost)
2. Greedy DBX taxi with CG FSD+Experimental effect (73.62/79.21ly) (382m/s boost)
3. Greedy DBX taxi with standard G5 FSD+Experimental effect, stripped further for more range (70.23/75.74ly) (No boost)
4. Greedy DBX taxi with CG FSD+Experimental effect, stripped further for more range (76.13/82.17ly) (No boost)

At the end of the day, each ship here would be able to reach that same point, without the need to bleed fuel-- the neutrons appeared on the last half of the tank. Yes, the reward FSD-equipped ship had a ~6ly advantage, but in such a sparse area, some of the jumps would be less than the maximum anyway-- when you're in an area like that, a 60ly jump instead of your max may be your only option at times. It was only about 4000ly overall, but it did take time to scoop fuel. The only time absolute max range mattered here were a couple jumps, all of which were accessible with or without the reward FSD.

Had I taken an ultra-light Anaconda instead, with an accessible-to-all G5 FSD, I would have been more than fine. Plenty of range (76.94/80.07ly), the ability to boost(338m/s), a halfway respectable shield for an explorer (560mj), and even an SRV bay.

This FSD isn't putting anyone at an enormous disadvantage-- Wherever your DBX will go, no matter what FSD you have, a Conda will already go farther, and get there faster. Your biggest limitation will always be the tiny fuel scoop on the DBX.

According to my math it would have taken my Phantom to about 74.5. I think I'd have converted my conda to other uses at that point. As it is...Im always going to feel my Phantom is gimped vs a new standard. I hope this FSD becomes available at some reasonable interval in case explorers were out......ya know.....exploring :)

Or newish players (points to self) who didn't know better at the time.

This FSD isn't putting anyone at an enormous disadvantage-- Wherever your DBX will go, no matter what FSD you have, a Conda will already go farther, and get there faster. Your biggest limitation will always be the tiny fuel scoop on the DBX.

Yes, this ^^

while the FSD+ will give a boost to DBX, AspX and Phantom, it won't make any of those ships able to beat the Anaconda.
Not in jump range and certainly not in overall exploration utility

while the FSD+ will give a boost to DBX, AspX and Phantom, it won't make any of those ships able to beat the Anaconda.
Not in jump range and certainly not in overall exploration utility
Aye, I explore in an Anaconda now...however it brings a phantom closer in jump range than current and I get a more nimble, landable and fun ship to fly.
Also, I can fit all the goodies I need in the phantom from an exploration standpoint so not really feeling the utility thing either.
I wanted that FSD bad and I was going to use the Anaconda for another purpose while turning to my phantom.
Would greatly appreciate another chance at it.

Last edited:
Aye, I explore in an Anaconda now...however it brings a phantom closer in jump range than current and I get a more nimble, landable and fun ship to fly.
Also, I can fit all the goodies I need in the phantom from an exploration standpoint so not really feeling the utility thing either.
I wanted that FSD bad and I was going to use the Anaconda for another purpose while turning to my phantom.
Would greatly appreciate another chance at it.
Phantom is short range ship. Just try to jump 10 times in raw using dwarfs in bubble.

Phantom get 7 jumps out of one tank and is long past the bubble after that. Anaconda however runs it's tank dry after 4 jumps. That's what I call a short range ship.
Adding 16t extra fuel tank fixes all problems, and it still do 73.9 jump. Also why the hell it should run dry? It full charges while circling around star to next destination.
I use extra 16t when aiming to research brown dwarfs fields, otherwise - no need at all.

Phantom can't have all set of tools on board. For example, current CG - Anaconda can just use research limpet instead fuel tank and keep all usual things.

Have never tried to replace my fuel tank with a research limit controller, how does that work?

Phantom can't have all set of tools on board. For example, current CG - Anaconda can just use research limpet instead fuel tank and keep all usual things.
I get it, you don't like the Phantom :)
And you're right on this one. On my Phantom I would have to replace the repair limpet controller to fit a research limpet controller. Minor inconvenience.

Top Bottom