Community Event / Creation Actual real life full size pilot seat in the works.

Sup Commanders!

For a long time I have wanted to build a replica pilot seat like the one in the game. I never really had the motivation to though until I saw WhiteShadows thread over here:

https://forums.frontier.co.uk/showt...mpting-to-create-replica-Pilots-chair-sim-pod

He's done a great job building a scale model before hopefully cranking out a full sized one. He has loads of pics of his progress in there and seeing all the cool stuff got me fired up back in 2015. So I got the chair model magically and started to figure out how I was going to build it. I use Solidworks all day so that was the way I thought I would go. Basically, dump the STL model in there and parametric model around it how I would go about building it with actual materials.

gv1ag1wu.eho.jpg

5redf4cy.hfo.jpg

I had a bit of spare time over Christmas 2015 so cracked into it but then work started again and the thing got back burnered. I eventually came to the conclusion it was a pointless venture and was too hard for a lazy guy like me to accomplish.

Until Christmas 2016... Like right now basically. Finally got back into playing ED again and was doing a bit of exploration, taking some passengers 19k odd LY out to some neutron star. Sitting on this jimmied up old seat gets a bit sore after a while. I use the Rift to play and have done since the DK2 came out. Now with the CV1 things are even better. But, you need the controls in the right place to make it feel right, so this crappy old chair was pretty good in that respect, only.

xqi00qef.exs.jpg

So I made some adjustments to one of may lazyboys, much more comfy for hours of flying but useless for control positioning.

oswvdlxj.dix.jpg

After one day of playing like this I thought there has to be a better way. I looked around in my ship and thought, I can build one of these!

hiti2o5g.x5x.jpg

iqxxdwvj.uuh.jpg

It would get my controls into the right position and looks pretty comfy. So back into the CAD models to find out I was pretty much finished. Nearly to a point I could start cutting parts and just build the thing. Sweet.

Day 1:

Went into work to find we didn't have the material I wanted to use (25mm foam PVC) so had to revert to MDF. It worked out really well in MDF so that was a good thing. Half a sheet each of 25mm and 18mm had me sorted for the main chair carcass and then half a sheet of 10mm foam PVC (signex, celuka, what ever). Easy materials to work with. The foam PVC works like really soft wood but glues instantly with a solvent so is good for quick fabrication of non structural things. I cut a 0.5mm deep recess for the bits to make it easier to get the frame bits in the right place. Made it really easy once the parts had the angles on them.

vh30ub3y.du1.jpg

5iffun00.sjz.jpg

All the main bits cut and ready to cut the angles on the edges.

4uqzfdb0.xfu.jpg

Testing fitment of the main bits.

4zsf3zgj.zu4.jpg

Make sure the angles are correct.

a5twrhc5.wjd.jpg

And then glue and screw it all together. Yeah I could have done it better but I'm not a cabinet maker and just wanted to get it together as quickly as possible so I could start on other stuff. You know, never enough time to do it right but always enough time to do it again.

lraro0ru.jwv.jpg

So with that done, now I needed the 10mm foam PVC bits for the sides.

hwprzysm.om2.jpg

eb14rwkv.rw1.jpg

I set the engrave depth at 3mm which is way too deep. Dunno why, using a 45° tool I was thinking I would get a 3mm wide groove, but got a much wider one... Brain fart moment. It doesn't look too bad though so I didn't cut the sides again.

Test fit the sides to see how they look. Looking pretty sweet!

vo4abjx4.kb5.jpg

Next put the inside part of the seat where you sit. Wasn't 100% sure on the angle for this so I went with what was reasonably ergonomic. Mounted the main shelf part with shelf pins so I can pull it out and reset it if need be. It feels pretty good where it is. I think the designer of the seats did a flippn awesome job. I am making it to the actual game scale and it is spot on human size wise. So far I am only a few mm out from the actual model size.

lceqrs35.f0n.jpg

It feels pretty ok though. Got an old caravan squab in there, mint as bro!

ou5jhpfq.4zb.jpg

Day 2:

Now onto making up the sides. This was been the most time consuming single part of the project. Took about two hours to mitre all the little bits and glue them on.

gvhrwo3l.10l.jpg

ptevtxa2.iy5.jpg

p3upzggo.fmq.jpg

0wpg4lwn.jlc.jpg

You will notice (if you are onto it) that one of the grooves on the side is in the complete wrong place. I deleted the wrong line and left one of my centre lines in. Whoops! Start again... naa just a bit of bog will sort it out.

Day 3:

Next I got some foam, cut it to shape, stuck it in and parked my butt. Was a bit of a mish trying to get a pic, dunno what that face is all about. Need a shave.

hy44jruq.gyj.jpg

Managed to score some cheap 125mm thick foam. Thought I would need about 200mm deep but it's only 200mm at the thickest part (before shaping) so I just glued a few bits together. Cut these on our old bandsaw, real fine tooth blade and it cut really well. Bit of that contact adhesive holds it all together.

xyp5gam4.dm3.jpg

These bits make the bottom of the cushion to about 200mm thick and slope up in line with the side of the seat carcass.

zgihza5i.vsf.jpg

Next had to cut the main back cushion foam in half so I had a flat surface to cut off the excess foam at the top.

xfb4enbg.zob.jpg

bqpjwo5g.k2u.jpg

dq4jboci.tkw.jpg

Test fitting before fitting the bottom angle bits.

nqgzxt4l.lzu.jpg

That contact glue is awesome, spray a bit on, stick together and you have one piece. Never used it for this sort of thing before lol. Works really well.

qjnaufpl.d0o.jpg

k0nlixch.qbn.jpg

All stuck together. I need to put some more foam on the bottom sides and then shape the butt shape and recess for the back. I want to get it as close to the in game one but still be comfy.

Note on foam: The stuff on the bottom is firmer stuff than the back stuff. Supposedly will last longer according to the lady at the foam shop.

jsk55nid..jpg

Day 4:

Sealed the MDF with some acid cat lacquer we had out the back thinned to about 50% so it would soak in heaps. Sanded up super smooth. Hit it with some silver paint so if the outer layer of paint gets scratched it will show silver, like it's some special futuristic alloy.

pkt1wyll.ja2.jpg

gywwqkcj.pgv.jpg

While that was drying I sanded up the side panels and put 5mm and 2mm R fillets on the edges. Bogged up my mistake line and cut a new one where it is supposed to be.

cqwb5po1.pws.jpg

u3nqkxby.hob.jpg

agtmw1kc.ovs.jpg

The paint I had got for it was based off a couple of screen shots that made the main carcas and side panels look different colours. I went and painted the main bit with a gunmetal grey.

cpaxq00i.pwo.jpg

Turns out that's completely wrong! Whoops, I should have got into the rift long before painting and actually had a look around at the detail. Too much haste. Ahh well.

The sides and body are the same silver colour, it is just lighting in the screenies that makes it look different. Still looks good though.

Next I had to make the small thruster pod on the front of the seat at the little concave bits in the middle. No sweat, draw in Solidworks, make a toolpath for the CNC.

oprpxeml.zmw.jpg

whyxvosr.qvk.jpg

3rnvy4au.zgf.jpg

rlo55fqi.ytp.jpg

30 mins later, ready to stick them on. Having access to CNC machines makes things so flippn easy. No patterns, cutting stuff with jigsaw, sanding edges etc. Just pull the bits off the machine, done. These bits needed sanding to get them smooth though, but the foam PVC is quick. Like 15 mins and they were sanded and glued in place.

z12lo5oa.rcm.jpg

ocfoj15i.4ly.jpg

c3pztpfm.j1p.jpg

And a quick lick of paint, the actual colour the chair is supposed to be. It does look nice with the two tone finish. Manually taped the side on to see what it looks like. Looks pretty good.

tgljzmvb.5rt.jpg

bjefwbm2.eyf.jpg

53apwya3.del.jpg

Day 5:

Finally I fitted the sides with some small L brackets and rivnuts so I can easily remove them for future mods. Coffee machine in the side, I mean Keyboard holder on the side, mouse platform. Not true to the game model 100% but will keep it close.

More painting and sanding to make things a bit nicer. In the end I decided to paint the main carcass bit the same colour as the sides. Looks much better I think. Oh, need to bog up those mangus looking screw holes too. Was being lazy, but they do look rubbish so I had better sort them out.

qvv2yfhv.van.jpg

3l3km2xc.qa5.jpg

I still have to enclose the top but couldn't be bothered today. I was helping pick and stack hay bales manually yesterday so couldn't be bothered doing much at all! Got a good chunk done though.

While Stuff was drying I jumped on the computer, cranked up Eye of the Tiger and drew up some parts to hold the joystick and throttle. I use an X52, old one, feels better than the Pro IMO. I have fitted the control board from the throttle inside the joystick housing because I don't use the X52 throttle. Makes it so you just need to plug in the joystick and away you go. I use a CH Pro Throttle, bit more clunky but I find it has better ergonomics. I plan to convert the left over bits from the X52 throttle into some sort of hybrid with custom roller bearing movement. Maybe next Christmas?

For the control holders I just used a bit of 10mm clear acrylic so it doesn't take away from the over all look to much. Would be next to impossible to get the stick and throttle exactly the same and it's completely needless. I just need them to be in the exact right place so in the Rift they my arms are where my brain sees they are.

0a00ohwk.aj4.jpg

c2jnp43r.k50.jpg

ofnbf5pc.nv0.jpg

Tomorrow I want to shape the foam and finish off that top part of the seat. I also need to make the side handles and start on the head rest. Running out of days as it's back to work on the 16th and will flat out with no time to finish everything. At least it is at a stage where I can actually use it and add bits to it as time permits.

I plan to get the cushions upholstered in leather, soft, Corinthian leather, to resemble the in game seat. I would have a crack at it but I would make a mess of my grans sewing machine. I have never done it before so it would be fun to give it a go, so I might with some cheaper vinyl and if I get the shape right get it done properly.

Here are some caps from in the game that I wish I had taken last week! Maybe when I build a co-pilot seat I can get it more accurate.

oijlnlea.vak.jpg

zpprt2ry.keg.jpg

ybqel0a4.omf.jpg

xngopqs5.kel.jpg

yz2ah45k.ad2.jpg

qy0t0nof.ft2.jpg

acke412p.4dm.jpg

Thanks guys!

If any of you want to make one, I can send you the CAD files in a format thats useful, dxf or eps or what ever. The solid models probably aren't much use but if you cut, or get cut, everything as per the files and have some tools you could crank one out pretty easy. You would of course need to cut everything from materials the thickness I did and have to figure out where all the bits go but I have some drawings with the angles and all that on them to make things slightly less tedious.

Don't know if many people will see this though. Everyone seems to hang in the main part of the forum, maybe I should have stuck it in there. Oh well they miss out and soon I will have an awesome chair to play the game in that looks like the one in the game! I remember when I was about 11, playing Frontier Elite 2 on my flash as Amiga 1200, 2 meg of ram, 40 meg HDD. For years on end I played thinking "if only this had really awesome graphics" and "if only there was some sort of VR thing so you could be in the ship". Well now you can and it has awesome graphics, and now a seat. Times are good.

Day 6:

Had a bunch of moving to do at work so didn't get a lot done today, but did get the top bit enclosed roughly. Bit of band sawing and sanding to get these little in fills in.

wy3upqky.bh3.jpg

5z2itwiz.vog.jpg

hs0qvrow.3v3.jpg

dmdjtrhm.x3s.jpg

cqtb4rrc.3na.jpg

clopzlmx.vv1.jpg

After test fitting the parts I glued them on and tested the top. I thought I would just screw it on since it is going to have the head rest covering it eventually so doesn't need to look that flash.

sf2q5zlc.pu2.jpg

Then painted up he top to look nice.

ry23wp30.tns.jpg

But then disaster! Well not really. I bogged up the corners and the first lot didn't harden for ages. I had to rip it all off and do it again using another thing of hardner, which worked finally. The bottle that didn't work looks exactly the same, same stuff, dunno why I didn't just use the bottle I had been using for days...

g1rt2kuf.e3d.jpg

nxgj5oya.xts.jpg

Forgot to get a pic of it sanded. You will have to imagine it.

The seat so far looks ok from a few meters but is coming along nicely. Bit gappy at the top but it shouldn't be seen in the end.

fot5bd4t.yih.jpg

mvul51dk.c30.jpg

yh0fns33.ogo.jpg

Actually, looking at the pics it looks pretty cool haha. I guess looking at it for 6 days you kind of get over it and it doesn't register in the brain as being cool. That's how my brain works anyway, stupid thing!

I didn't get a chance to shape the foam so will look at doing that tomorrow perhaps, unless I go out to flatten some rabbits with my .44 cal PCP slug pistol. It has a bit more than 12 ft/lb.

I did get time to cut some profile templates of the in game seat so as I grind back the foam (using grinder with a really chunky flapper disc) I can get it to match the actual contour. The grinder is pretty ruthless and things get destroyed instantly when it digs in, but should be fun! Will just take it slow and make a massive mess.

Day 7:

Today I tidied up the huge mess I made all over the factory and started to make an even bigger mess with the grinder and the foam. It's a bit tricky but worked out ok. Still need to take a bit off the back near the shoulders.

The templates helped make sure I didn't cut in too deep and made sure I knew there was going to be enough foam.

lwebqzuv.zmb.jpg

ndw1odqx.i5q.jpg

Needed a little bit extra for the bits on the side so I cut a bit out of some left overs and stuck them on.

qmzaxyo1.jxa.jpg

jnbxmc2j.i10.jpg

gc4w3zin.efg.jpg

p3rw4g0y.2jn.jpg

vsaxp5hz.2l1.jpg

Checking with the templates, not too far off. I just parked my bum in there to test comfort. It's actually pretty good. Kind of like a car seat. Should be able to sit in for ages.

oiwyrtzt.nrs.jpg

Mostly done, roughly marked out where the seams are in the upholstery.

2yj2w5og.5k4.jpg

Yeah, I couldn't find the handle for the grinder so just stuck an M8 bolt in there... The grinder was getting mega hot with all the foam resistance. Hasn't failed me yet, only cost $30 bucks (NZ). If it does crap out, it's still under warranty for 6 months!

Comparison with a pic, approx same angle. Looks sort of similar-ish... lol. The upholstery guys should be able to match it up pretty good. A lot better than I could anyway.

1nfcit3v.yhn.jpg

gvziqamg.bzj.jpg

Time to try it out! It was about 30°C when I got it home, probably more in the house, so I opened up all the doors and got a good breeze going. While testing I had no shirt on and when I got up my entire back was covered in foam, like a thick layer of insulation. That took care of most of the loose stuff that didn't go up the vacuum!

Ergonomics wise, compared to the game, it is pretty spot on, if you are in a ship. The SRV is horrendous. I have noticed the camera/head positions are different in most ships so when you centre the rift when sitting in a natural posture they can be quite different. The SRV is the worst by far, the camera is in some strange place so it's hard to reset the view to make it feel natural. The Clipper I had out at the time was pretty spot on though, as was a the Cobra I tested briefly. I drove round for a bit on a planet then went for a fly round for about 30 mins. I have to say it's not as comfy as the lazy boy at all, as you can nae just lean back and relax, you have to sit up in full alert driving position. Not a bad thing, specially if you need to be alert. Also my arms are longer than the guy in the game so when I pull right back on the stick my elbow hits the back of the chair. I need to stick my arm out a bit to get full movement. Still comfy though.

The cool thing is being able to look down at the chair and stick, move the rift off and the chair is the same. Feels like I'm really there! Till I see the carpet.

oivlgze0.mms.jpg

The cat has taken a liking to it so it must be pretty comfy!

xni0jch5.vxy.jpg

In the coming weeks I'll get the seat upholstered and maybe start work on the head rest. Will depend on how busy we get at work. I'll also muck about with putting some details and graphics on it and some handles.

To route the cables I am going to bring them between the cushion and inside of the chair, drop into the empty cavity under the seat and have my USB hub in there. With everything plugged in it will be easy to unplug the main cable and move the chair around. Eventually I want to make the back of the chair like in the game. Like a big hump back. I theorise I can build a mould of the same shape and vacuum form it as one big part. Then, I will fix my ED PC to the back of seat and put the cover on. So it is like one stand alone unit that just needs power and rift sensor. That's in my 10 year plan haha, but it is well within the realms of the machinery at work so I must do it.

Last edited:
I wish I had the time/money/skill to do this. Instead I'm stuck flying real aircraft, in which I can guarantee you the seats are not as comfortable.

I think that is brilliant! Looks like a lot of effort, but well worth it.
Really looking forward to seeing how the rest of it goes. Well done mate!

Congratulations!

Good to see, that there are people in the world, who are not just sleeping-working-eating robots, but there are some who try to enjoy life!

Oh I do that too, just had a couple of weeks where I didn't have to work haha. Back to being a robot now but getting pricing on having it upholstered. Hopefully it's cheap as.

Thanks for the kind words!

I too sat with my DK2 when I first got it looking at the seat thinking I could make one, sadly I'd have to do it old school as my cad skills suck.

Great job so far :)

Was thinking of starting something like this, now I see someone has beat me to the punch! This may mean virtually nothing coming from an anonymous person from the internet, but you attention to detail is really astounding. I also like that you started this project years ago and convinced yourself that it wouldn't work. It's something I do all the time!

Top Bottom